GPS Unit for use in Car

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

GPS Unit for use in Car

Postby grahambb » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 10:57 am

AS an alternative to a Mac / iPad software solution (see other post in this forum), what are the best GPS units to buy for use in the Outback. I'll be off road in SA, NT and QLD for about 2 months.

Part two: I live in the US. Can I buy Aus maps for the areas I need (in the detail to get off road and onto tracks) and load them onto a US purchased unit, so that I can plan before I leave?

Cheers

Graham
grahambb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

GPS Unit for use in Car

Postby Maelgwn » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 7:02 pm

Assuming you already own a gps, the best bit would be to see if the gps manufacturer has maps available for aus.
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: GPS Unit for use in Car

Postby Jellybean » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 7:56 pm

Wow, I can't believe I'm making a post on Techno-babble ... I'm techno-illiterate! but here gos ....

If you don't already have a GPS, then buy one that you can add maps to (i.e., with a microSD slot).

I currently use a GPS in both Australia and Europe. After trialling both a Garmin and a TomTom GPS in Europe recently, I came home and bought a Garmin nuvi 1490T (both the Garmin and Tom Tom units are good but I just found the Garmin easier to use - idiot proof - and it also seemed to provide better route options, at least in Europe).

The Garmin I bought here came loaded with Australian/NZ maps (which I'll use most of the time. These maps can easily be updated online) but it also has a slot where you can insert microSD cards with maps from other countries. I bought the current Full Europe microSD card to add when I'm in Europe. (Better than the old map card we had in Europe recently which had us driving across paddocks instead of a new motorway at times!).

If I was you (and you don't have a GPS), I'd be buying a GPS loaded with US maps, but with a microSD slot that you can buy an Australian map card for - make sure that the maps are current and cover the areas you want to go to.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby grahambb » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 9:51 pm

Thanks for the input. Anyone know if Garmin have good off road maps (or can I use other maps on a Garmin?)

Cheers
grahambb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby davidmorr » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 11:35 pm

You could look at Metroview, an iPhone/iPad app. Comes with a full map set downloaded as part of the app, but I do not know how many tracks it includes. Contact the developer at metroview.com.au. He is in Sydney and very responsive. And Metroview is very cheap. :-)

You might also want to have a read of this thread to get some idea of how people feel about it:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1681867

BTW, only the 3G iPad has a proper GPS in it - the wifi one doesn't.

David
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby sailfish » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 10:54 am

grahambb wrote:Thanks for the input. Anyone know if Garmin have good off road maps (or can I use other maps on a Garmin?)

Cheers

Garmin have full AUS & NZ topo coverage for $229 on either, download, Micro SD or CD/DVD.
I'm thinking of getting it on SD for our Nuvi.

Regards,
Ken
sailfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby sirius Tas » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Sailfish,
Before you buy the Garmin topo, check out the following sample maps from Oztopo v3. Way heaps better than Garmin with the best detail of walking tracks etc that I've ever seen.
http://www.oztopo.com.au/v3_sample.htm
I've currently got the V2(upgrade to v3 coming) running on a Nuvi...simply great. Other advantage with Oztopo v3 is that you can use it in other compatible Garmin Gpsr's...that is...IT ISN'T LOCKED into one unit only.
After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value.
sirius Tas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby grahambb » Sun 14 Aug, 2011 9:47 am

Jellybean wrote:Wow, I can't believe I'm making a post on Techno-babble ... I'm techno-illiterate! but here gos ....

If you don't already have a GPS, then buy one that you can add maps to (i.e., with a microSD slot).

I currently use a GPS in both Australia and Europe. After trialling both a Garmin and a TomTom GPS in Europe recently, I came home and bought a Garmin nuvi 1490T (both the Garmin and Tom Tom units are good but I just found the Garmin easier to use - idiot proof - and it also seemed to provide better route options, at least in Europe).

The Garmin I bought here came loaded with Australian/NZ maps (which I'll use most of the time. These maps can easily be updated online) but it also has a slot where you can insert microSD cards with maps from other countries. I bought the current Full Europe microSD card to add when I'm in Europe. (Better than the old map card we had in Europe recently which had us driving across paddocks instead of a new motorway at times!).

If I was you (and you don't have a GPS), I'd be buying a GPS loaded with US maps, but with a microSD slot that you can buy an Australian map card for - make sure that the maps are current and cover the areas you want to go to.

Enjoy your trip!

I bought the Nuvi 1490 based on your comment. So far it's good but basic, (no intermediate stops for example). Did you buy Garmin's (*&%$#! expensive) Aus maps? I guess they are good for street use, but what about off road?

Cheers,

JB
grahambb
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Jellybean » Mon 15 Aug, 2011 5:57 pm

grahambb wrote:I bought the Nuvi 1490 based on your comment. So far it's good but basic, (no intermediate stops for example). Did you buy Garmin's (*&%$#! expensive) Aus maps? I guess they are good for street use, but what about off road?

Hi Graham,

I find the 1490 meets my needs (I don't believe in spending money on buying all the bells and whistles if I only need the bells! :) ). My 1490 does allow me to add intermediate stops. I'd imagine all 1490's should be the same? I found this option quite by accident - did I mention that I'm techno-illiterate?? :roll: - but I've just checked and it's also in the Quick Start Manual - see the sections on Adding a Stop and Taking a Detour.

My Nuvi, which I was lucky enough to get on sale, came with the Aust/NZ maps pre-loaded but yes, the Aust/NZ maps seem expensive if you buy them separately. The Full Europe card, which I bought separately, was much cheaper. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the off-road usefulness of the Aust/NZ maps as I only use them for street use. Hopefully someone else here will comment, otherwise I would check with Garmin direct.

Cheers,

JB
Jellybean
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble