Garmin Forerunner 305 review

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Garmin Forerunner 305 review

Postby Tony » Tue 20 May, 2008 11:23 am

About two and a half years ago I was looking to replace my very old and heavy Magellan 2000 GPS, the Garmin Forerunner 305 had just come out, I do a bit of running as a well as a bushwalking, and at the time it was the lightest GPS around, I knew it was a runners GPS but the instructions mentioned that it could be used for walking, so I decided to get one,

As far as the running goes it is a fantastic training tool, most of my runs suddenly became much shorter and I was doing slower minutes per k, I could write a lot about its running capabilities but this is a Bushwalking site.

When I brought my 305 I could not find a portable USB charger so I built one myself, I found a suitable power supply chip and on some Vero board made one, I used 4 AA 2700 mA rechargeable batteries. I found that I could get 3+ charges out of the charger. Shortly after I made my charger Jaycar brought one out that is lighter and uses Lithium batteries and it has more charge in it, Ct no MB-3300 cost $70. I do sometimes bring the 305 along on walks and only turn it on when I need a landmark point so I do not have to bring the charger.

I have now used the Forerunner several times for bushwalking and I would rate it at about 6 out of 10 as a bushwalking GPS.

What I like

Very light 77g

As it is a worn on the wrist it is easily read, I do not have to get it from a bag or pocket.

The sensitivity is excellent, It has given me readings in deep narrow deep gullies (Monolith Valley, Budawangs), the SiRFstar111 chip is a big improvement on the old chip.

What I do not like.

Landmarks are only in lat longs, UTM option is not available. I have to draw Lat Long lines across my maps and I have made a measuring scale to suit which is printed out on a piece of clear overhead sheet. When I want to put a route into the 305 I get the UTM co-ordinance off a map and then use software to convert to Lat Longs

All landmarks have to be put into the 305 with the soft keys. I have been unable to do this through the USB computer interface, they say it can be done but I have not been able do it yet (I have average technical abilities but I am no techno wiz).

The start stop button is easily knocked which happens regularly (this can be seen in the Pictures below.

The battery charge lasts up to 10 hours, I have found this not long enough for some days that I walk,

My Walking partner now owns a garmin e-trex and we use it in preference to the Forerunner 305 as it is easier to interface with a computer and put the landmarks into it, I am now thinking of getting my own e-trex for walking.

If anybody wants the KMZ files of the walks below just PM me.

Tony

A four day walk in the Western Jagungal Wilderness KNP
3 day walk in the Scabby Wilderness Namadgi NP Southern ACT

Monolith Valley Budawangs Np, the track in places was very hard to follow note our wanderings
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Techno-Babble