Weather Monitoring While on a Bushwalk

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Weather Monitoring While on a Bushwalk

Postby Bush Walker » Wed 01 Dec, 2010 9:27 pm

Bushwalking in Tasmania and tramping in the South Island of NZ have a lot in common, especially the weather blowing in from the SW across the ocean. This can lead to sudden changes in bushwalking conditions.

While checking the climate statistics and weather forecasts before you set out is essential, the validity of weather forecasts is marginal on a hike lasting more than a few days. Weather can blow-in and change things dramatically in a few hours. I have always wanted to be able to better anticipate the weather, so I would know whether I can sleep-in when a storm is about to hit or whether I have to get started earlier to avoid a hot day or get into camp before all hell lets loose. I want to know of any weather alerts before it is too late.

Recent technology advances have improved my chances of doing this, with costs plummeting, and equipment becoming smaller and lighter

radio
    wristwatch with mini-weather station
    portable weather station
    smart phone with weather app installed
    field guide to weather as a pdf

but there are limitations to technology such as batteries failing, poor reception in remote areas, lack of durability.

Have you used any of the above to successfully to predict changing weather conditions while on a bushwalk?
Is there any technique I've left off the list?
Do you check the weather forecast before you begin a walk?
My blog www.bushwalkingskills.com Sharing Bushwalking Skills and Knowledge
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Weather Monitoring While on a Bushwalk

Postby Bush Walker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 7:11 am

Bush_walker wrote:Have you used any of the above to successfully to predict changing weather conditions while on a bushwalk?
Is there any technique I've left off the list?
Do you check the weather forecast before you begin a walk?

Thanks for setting up this discussion Bushwalker, I've always felt that I could learn a bit more in this area.

I once took a small radio with me to check for alerts and the weather, but I have stopped doing so. Just another thing to carry.
I have a watch with a barometer/altimeter but calibrating is not that easy, especially if you forget to do so before starting your walk.
Never used a portable weather station, but they look a good option. Once again just something else to carry.
There are lots of smartphone apps which look promising. Any one field tested any?
Have had trouble finding suitable field guides: Collins Gem Weather Storm Dunlop 1996 is the only one I have and it has lots of photos, but don't know how relevant it is to the southern hemisphere.
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 7:20 am

I use a wristwatch with built in barometer. It has a neat little function that decides if the pressure change is due to weather or to change in altitude, and it also has a storm warning that might come in handy to let you know things are getting grim outside the tent.

I always keep an eye on the weather and the forecast for a week or two before any trip. Smartphone is also useful to check weather when there is network.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wander » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 7:57 am

I usually find looking at the sky is of imeasurable assistance.

The forecast information is pretty poor and usually late compared to what I find in the field in the SW. Might be better for other areas.

My prime observation is there is more rain and snow days in Winter compared to Summer.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Bush Walker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 8:06 am

photohiker: how does it decide the difference between a weather change and a change in altitude?

wander: whats sorts of things do you look for in the sky?
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Bush Walker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 9:31 am

Thanks for the feed back photohiker, bgeary and wander.

For photohiker

What criteria does your watch use to work out if there should be a storm warning?
How do the batteries last?
What model do you have?

For wander or others

How many days out do you think the forecasts are accurate for the central highlands of Tasmania?

For bgeary or others

What is radio reception like in Tasmanian bushwalking areas? Internet radio, which is available on the iPhone, would work well where there is phone reception but I guess the range would not be as good as AM radio. Can anyone help with info?
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wander » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 10:29 am

Looking at sky? Clouds, dust, clear air or milky air, how fast is this stuff moving, what direction.

As for the CH forecast I do not know. I never have been able to get radio reception on the right channels at the right times. Not that the ABC has given any times for issue of forecasts that actually match when they actually do it.
wander

Postby photohiker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 12:05 pm

Bush_walker wrote:For photohiker

What criteria does your watch use to work out if there should be a storm warning?
How do the batteries last?
What model do you have?

I have a Suunto Core. These watches were plagued with problems when they were first released in 2007, but revisions to the hardware and software seem to have resolved the worst of them.

The batteries have been going strong since I bought the watch about 11 months ago. Suunto claim 12-18 months depending on use. I guess if you are a constant button presser and user of the illumination then you could get less. The battery is a standard style, and not very expensive. User replaceable too.

Re Storm Warning:
Suunto Manual wrote:5.4 Activating storm alarm
The storm alarm notifies you that a pressure drop of 4 hPa / 0.12 inHg or more has occurred during a 3-hour period. Suunto Core will activate an alarm and flash an alarm symbol on the display for 20 seconds. The storm alarm only works when you have activated the BAROMETER profile in the ALTI & BARO mode.

The watch also gives a visual indication on the dial of rising, steady, or falling pressures.

Hope that helps.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 12:15 pm

bgeary wrote:photohiker: how does it decide the difference between a weather change and a change in altitude?

Hi.

This is what the manual says:
Suunto Core Manual wrote:When the device is moving 5 meters in altitude within 3 minutes, the ALTIMETER profile is activated. When the device does not move in altitude for 12 minutes, the BAROMETER profile is activated.

Link to Product page and manuals download

I bought mine via ebay, but the local price has improved somewhat. Buying now, I'd probably buy locally to get the Australian warranty. Ryda sells Aussie stock online at competitive prices.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bush Walker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 12:21 pm

photohiker wrote: The batteries have been going strong since I bought the watch about 11 months ago. Suunto claim 12-18 months depending on use. I guess if you are a constant button presser and user of the illumination then you could get less. The battery is a standard style, and not very expensive. User replaceable too.

Thanks for that additional information. I have the Suunto Observer, bought at Paddy Pallin, but only had it for short time, so haven't checked whether mine has the storm warning. I wonder whether mine automatically changes from altimeter to barometer?

User replaceable battery?

They recommend using a replacement kiteach time which I think they will post to you.

I would be very wary if you were going to swim with it after replacing it yourself, as mine leaked last time I had it done. I'm sure the warranty would be useless if it leaked and you had replaced the battery yourself.
Last edited by Bush Walker on Fri 03 Dec, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 12:33 pm

Bush_walker wrote:Thanks for that additional information. I have the Suunto Observer, bought at Paddy Pallin, but only had it for short time, so haven't checked whether mine has the storm warning. I wonder whether mine automatically changes from altimeter to barometer?

I don't think the Observer does either. There is an Altitude alarm you can set, and you can lock it into either Altimeter or Barometer mode, but there is no mention of an 'Auto' setting...

I generally agree with you about the batteries, but I also think that having user-replaceable batteries is an advantage over the likes of Polar that turn it into an expensive trial to replace a $3 battery for $60. If you are caught, you can do it yourself, and the watch has been designed that way.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 8:28 pm

wander wrote:I usually find looking at the sky is of imeasurable assistance.

That and the piece of string. Very useful.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Bush Walker » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 8:41 pm

north-north-west wrote:
wander wrote:I usually find looking at the sky is of imeasurable assistance.

That and the piece of string. Very useful.

Yes I've noticed that the piece of string makes an excellent weather station. If it's wet its raining; if its moving ,its windy etc
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 10:10 pm

Use black string: If you can't see it, it's night time. If it's white, it's snowing.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Bush Walker » Wed 15 Dec, 2010 6:48 am

north-north-west wrote:Use black string: If you can't see it, it's night time. If it's white, it's snowing.

If its glowing, you're in a bushfire or the sun is setting!
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wander » Wed 15 Dec, 2010 10:02 am

My regualr wandering partner brings a GPS and came usually tell me in the pressure is falling or rising. This is a help as well as my piece of string.
wander

Postby Bush Walker » Wed 15 Dec, 2010 4:05 pm

A multipurpose GPS which can load maps and measure air pressure/altitude, tell the tide and moon phase is becoming a valuable bushwalking tool.

I'm told that if you hold a piece of string outside your tent you can tell whether a high or low has passed by so you don't really need a barometer. The string will blow in one direction as the high approaches and then hang vertically for a while and finally blow in the opposite direction. :P
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wander » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 3:54 pm

Tide? Can the GPS give you tide info for Port Davey / Bathurst Harbour? I was under the impression the base observations needed to set up this had not been done? Or are they using Hobart Tides and adding X hours?
wander

Postby Bush Walker » Wed 28 Dec, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi wander

I don't know the technical side but my iPhone app SharlpTide gives the following for today (I've just quoted one tide for comparison purposes)

Maatsuyker Island (south of the bottom of Tasmania) high tide Wednesday 28 december at 1.31 am as 0.69m
Hobart: high tide at 12.34 am of 1.05m
Bramble Cove : HIgh 3.17 am 0.78m

Bathurst Harbour is not listed nor Port Davey.

BOM Tasmania gives Hobart as the nearest standard port and lists tides at other places as a time difference from Hobart as you suspected and for today
eg Hobart HIGH at 1:02 AM 1:07m

Maatsuyker Island +0:25 H:M
Bramble Cove, near Port Davey is -0:48 H:M
Hobart

Using these differences the iPhone app gives a pretty close estimate except for bramble Cove which seems to be way out!
Bush Walker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble