Kindles/Nooks

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Kindles/Nooks

Postby Nuts » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 9:38 am

Must be the colour version John? I think i'd go this before b&w. These things have huge potential. Besides books, have a wilderness medicine manual...., camera handbooks, google earth images, 1:25k clippings.. the list goes on.. but colour (and slightly bigger) would be a dogs danglies :wink:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby johnw » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 10:13 am

Nuts wrote:Must be the colour version John? I think i'd go this before b&w. These things have huge potential. Besides books, have a wilderness medicine manual...., camera handbooks, google earth images, 1:25k clippings.. the list goes on.. but colour (and slightly bigger) would be a dogs danglies :wink:

Nuts, I've heard that they're developing such an animal but does it yet exist :wink: ? I have to go shopping again tonight. If I have time I might make further enquiries. But looks like they're available from Dick Smith and Big W as well. 3G+Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi only. More expensive than direct but local shipping and return etc.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 10:23 am

Pretty sure they already do John, have done for some time? (colour) Mine is just B&W/ no 3G but even 3G has potential I guess.. mine has an experimental web browser, not sure if that has been developed further? The mind boggles..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 11:37 am

Nuts wrote:Pretty sure they already do John, have done for some time? (colour)

Not that I can find Nuts. Looks like "real soon now", but not from Amazon officially. Maybe rumour mill, but other sites are saying a 7 inch colour Kindle running Android is likely to be released in November. And a 10 inch "tablet" version in Q1 2012.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Thu 08 Sep, 2011 1:12 pm

Ahh, sorry of course your right. I was thinking the DX was colour but its just 'bigger'. I did see lots of rumours in a search but noted one link where the CEO told shareholders recently (May?) that Amazon have no plans for colour..
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 9:04 am

Just out of interest, in case anyone's head works the same way :roll: tried vac sealing my kindle last week...
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 9:18 am

And what was the outcome? Are you still able to turn it on and off OK? I imagine the slider may be slightly averse to sliding against the pressure but ...? Of course you would need to unseal it to recharge so its a trip by trip option. Sounds feasible provided the slider slides.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Nuts » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 9:35 am

Pheww.. not just me then. lol

I tried a couple of ways, the second time with a layer of bubble wrap on the back of the kindle but yer, you have it.. It seals too well, cant even depress the buttons, no mind the slider. Perfectly readable and battery not an issue just need some way to keep some free air. I tried popping 'bubbles' in the wrap but (of course) volume doesn't change. Maybe it would relax enough to be useable given time/temperature?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby doogs » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 9:54 am

Now if you sealed it in a pressurised chamber and try and trap a little air in like before. In theory when you leave the chamber the air should expand. Easy as that ;)
Do you want to build a snowman?
doogs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gayet » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 10:11 am

An exceptionally cold pressurised chamber would allow for more expansion on leaving as well. Just got to find one - a modified freezer perhaps? Seems a bit much to protect it from damp and dirt though.... :roll:
gayet

Region: Victoria

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble