Review - Garmin Foretrex 401

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Review - Garmin Foretrex 401

Postby 22F » Sun 30 May, 2010 7:35 pm

I thought to contribute to the knowledge base by posting some of my reviews posted on other sites.
Hope people find them useful.

MANUFACTURER: Garmin
ITEM: Foretrex 401
DESCRIPTION:

Small, lightweight, simple GPS unit with high sensitivity chip.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... G_1643.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... G_1644.jpg

Righto, this one has been on the slow-boil for some time, since I haven’t had a chance to take it out scrub and get some real use out of it for awhile.

Well, this was my combined Christmas present from myself with some cash provided by darling, ever-loving parents.
So far, I’ve found it very good for my intended use. Possibly way over what I use a GPS for nowadays, but since I’m allowed to possess cool-guy kit, I see nothing wrong with that.

The Foretrex 401 is intended as a basic GPS unit without electronic mapping, fitted with the newer high sensitivity chip. It’s marketed for the tactical paramilitary market, where the average user is really only carrying a GPS as an aid to navigation, rather than a complete navigation solution with moving maps, bells, whistles and other nav aids.

Powered by two AAA batteries, advertised operating life is 17hrs. From what I can tell, it’s not far off. I put a load of batteries in when I first bought the unit, played with for short periods over the next few days, then drove 12 hours home after Christmas tracking my route. I was only just running out of juice when I got home.

Electronic compass function is also present, which can be a nice backup to a mechanical compass.

The unit is capable of leaving a bread-crumb trail as it’s used to allow one’s steps to be recorded and back-tracked if necessary. This is quite fun in cities.

No electronic map is otherwise used in this unit. Although data can be downloaded PC via cable to overlay other map functions. I’ve had a bit of a play with this function. All it does is make me realise I have a lot more to learn about this sort of thing. But I know from previous comments from other members here that some of you use this for patrol reports and other stuff.

The unit has data modules for parachuting navigation functions, which might help some of you super-sneaky types who land on buildings in the dead of night to sow fear, confusion and destruction amongst our enemies. Since I have no experience, nor need of such things, I have no idea just how useful this function is.

The monochrome display screens allow a lot of customisation and flexibility in what data the user requires available. It’s all pretty easy to setup for a customised view. In fact, I have mine set up for my grid reference, local time and sunset for that day. It can be setup for MGRS, Latitude & Longitude displayed on the same page if you need to coordinate with orbiting aircraft apparently.

The unit is sufficiently small enough to mount on the wrist. To this end, substantial bolts are fitted to the base of the unit to allow a watch band to be fitted. Some experimentation has shown I can wear it with my wrist watch, since I wear my watch face down on the bottom of my wrist, and the Foretrex on the top of my wrist. It could even be strapped to a rifle for immediate nav data.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... G_1645.jpg

It was also advertised as being compatible with heart rate monitor sensor, and cadence sensor for biking. Both wireless.
Data transfer is also a function that can be done via wireless. I could see this being extremely useful for quickly transferring nav data between patrol members from a CTR or from the patrol to the boss. Again, there’s bugger all need for me to have this capability nowadays, but geez it sounds cool.

PERSONAL ASSESSMENT:

Pros
Very easy to use. I bought mine from Johnny Applseed on Ipswich Road in Brisbane, sat down in Stones Corner Pub waiting for a mate to turn up for lunch. Within 30 seconds, I had full satellite lock and position readout (mind you, I was half under the main building and sitting in a narrow street covered with shade cloth sails). Within another 5 minutes, I had the unit configured, and display setup for my tastes and fetishes. Not bad at all.

Size is great. I’m always looking to reduce the weight and volume of my load when I strap on my kit and go stumbling away from the clueless sheep in polite society. This is half the size of my old Magellan 310, so that gets a tick from me.

Signal reception is awesome. As mentioned, I first used it in the urban jungle with very little open sky available. The unit still got a positional fix in under 30 seconds from a cold start!!
I’ve since taken it into tropical rainforest, in the Eungalla area, and found the unit to be very quick to lock onto a signal whilst under canopy.

It’s accurate enough for most users.

Cons
The only real thing that niggles me about this unit, besides having a few functions that I really have no need for, is the lack of software available from Garmin. It would seem that this highly useful piece of gear has become an orphan with the company for support.

This is especially noticeable with regards to the heart rate monitor function. I originally bought the 401 so I wouldn’t have to fork out more money for a dedicated heart rate monitor. I wanted to have multi-use kit to make my work-outs more effective.

The unit will recognise and interact with the Garmin heart rate sensor I bought separately, but there’s just no way to use that data that I can find. It’s *&%$#! annoying.

Since there’s been bugger all support from Garmin on this, it looks like I’ll have to cough up for a dedicated monitor later on down the track.

Ah well, I can’t have my cake and eat it too, even if I do pout my lips and whinge like Veruca Salt.

SUMMARY

Other than the small issue of lack of software support, I’ve found this a *&%$#! good upgrade for my navigational needs.

Questions, queries or doubtful points??
Forward!
Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.
22F
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Location: Back in Bris-vegas, lost in the brightlights of the Big Smoke
Region: Queensland

Re: Review - Garmin Foretrex 401

Postby walkerchris77 » Thu 21 Jan, 2016 8:49 am

I brought one yesterday. Cool little unit. Working out all the functions. I got it because i run most mornings and like to see the speed distance altitude etc and it good to be able to follow your movements on the computer.

As for bushwalking id still take my etrex20 for the topo info as well.
walkerchris77
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to Techno-Babble