EPIRB

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

EPIRB

Postby walkinTas » Fri 25 Jan, 2008 6:24 pm

I was looking at the MT410 Accusat PLB 406MHz EPIRB. Anyone know anything about these. I know one does not need an EPIRB on every walk, but they are a good idea if leading groups on overnight walks. This one is very light and works on the new 406Mhz - so will work beyond February 2009. The battery is good for 24 hours - last for 7 years (I don't know if this is good or bad) (Update: apparently this is a fairly good life expectancy).
Last edited by walkinTas on Sun 27 Jan, 2008 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: EPRIB

Postby corvus » Fri 25 Jan, 2008 7:28 pm

Good post wT I have a perfecly working (well dont really know caus aint tried it have I ) Kti RB3 epirb that will be US soon what do we do with the old ones (I know lets set all of them off on the night this service closes down just joking)but is a wee bit like the phone situation just more costly for those of us whom for she who must be obeyed insisted that we needed.
I intend to contact the maker and find out if the old ones can be upgraded (but I guess the upgrade will cost more than replacement) so it will be an other outlay for something I cannot play with (hopefully never) what does anyone else think.
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

epirbs

Postby corvus » Fri 25 Jan, 2008 9:42 pm

How many of you have the old style personal epirbs which will be RS 2009 and do you think the manufacturers should convert the old ones.
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Re: EPIRB

Postby TassieMargie » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 9:56 pm

One question...how much do these things cost?
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby walkinTas » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:09 pm

You'll find them around the Internet if you Google. You'll also find them on ebay. I have seen them as cheap as AU$399.00. But I don't know if this particular model is good, bad or indifferent. I'd like some more facts from someone who knows epirbs or some independent reviews.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TassieMargie » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks walkintas will check them out. How many different brands are there and are there any which are better than others?
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

EPIRB Factsheet

Postby walkinTas » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:24 pm

You might like to read this PDF factsheet.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TassieMargie » Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:45 pm

Thanks for the PDF walkinTas. For another question. Which is better for bushwalkers...an EPIRB or a PLB?

Been doing a bit of reading on the subject and I think the PLB is best because it weighs less. Is this correct?
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: epirbs

Postby walkinTas » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:29 am

Check out this page for information on how to correctly dispose of your old EPIRB. You can take it into Battery World Australia wide.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:33 am

um... did I mention that I'm not an expert - just someone looking for more info! You can read about the difference at this site. PLBs are the choice for bushwalkers. If I was an expert I would have called this thread PLBs not EPIRB. :(

The cheaper PLB does not have GPS and is accurate to 5km. The dearer one with GPS is accurate to <45m.
Last edited by walkinTas on Sun 27 Jan, 2008 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:50 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_ ... dio_Beacon

wikipedia has a fairly detailed page on them too.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby walkinTas » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 2:02 am

TassieMargie wrote:Thanks walkintas will check them out. How many different brands are there and are there any which are better than others?

That's a very good question. The two I have been looking at are the GME MT410 Accusat PLB and GME/Garmin MT410G PLB with GPS. There are other PLBs around. If you are in the market you should read this buyer caution - especially if you are thinking of buyng from ebay outside Aussie.

I'll keep trying to find a review/comparison of Australian products.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TassieMargie » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 11:46 am

walkinTas wrote:um... did I mention that I'm not an expert - just someone looking for more info! You can read about the difference at this site. PLBs are the choice for bushwalkers. If I was an expert I would have called this thread PLBs not EPIRB. :(

The cheaper PLB does not have GPS and is accurate to 5km. The dearer one with GPS is accurate to <45m.

I'm like you...just looking for info myself. I have already read the info at the link you gave and found it very interesting indeed, I didn't know there was difference between the two but now I do. I was just hoping that someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction. I still have to read the buyers caution and will look for reviews myself of Aussie products and put links here if I find them.

Thanks for all your help anyway, it has helped me. :D

Thanks also taswaterfalls. I have read that page as well and bookmarked some of the links for further reading.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby walkinTas » Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks TM,

I hope you find some reviews - looking forward to it. I too have learned from this exercise. :)

You can also hire Epirbs. Look at this page on the Parks & Wildlife site.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: epirbs

Postby tasadam » Mon 28 Jan, 2008 7:41 am

Looking forward to the price of the new 406's to come down to something affordable...
Looks like it won't be too long to wait...
http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/Buying_and_r ... eacons.asp

These look good
http://www.painswessex.com.au/Marine/Fa ... lusPLB.htm
But are very expensive and a bit weighty - http://www.wetweathergear.com.au/prod192.htm
The Pains Wessex 406Mhz PLB weighs 400grams, size 54 x 78 x 153mm

The GME 410 406Mhz PLB weighs 235grams, size 38 x 71 x 135mm
The GME 410G 406Mhz PLB weighs 250grams, size 38 x 71 x 135mm
If I am to get one, I really like the sound of the GPS option - check this
http://www.gme.net.au/marine/PDFs/plb.pdf
Typical accuracy -
MT410G: <45m
MT410: <5km.
I think someone can hear my whistle at 45 metres but not at 5km...
I know they'd find me if I had either, but to fly straight to me (if it came to that) using their GPS and my transmitted co-ordinates, rather than get within 5km and use the frequency finding / tracking or however it's done to narrow down from about 5km, well I figure if I needed to use an EPIRB, I would want the help ASAP...

http://www.gme.net.au/epirb/mt410.php

Hey, the GME MT410G is cheaper than I thought -
I found them here and here and here for $649
And on ebay for $598

Whoop, getting cheaper - Here for $589, free delivery!!

This post is taking me a long time to get together, I just got side tracked on their site big time...
But to hire an EPIRB with GPS for 4 days costs $125 or 7 days $145, and a shelf life of 7 years, I think I'll buy one before too long.
Maybe the price will drop even further by the time 121.5 dies in 2009.

Here's hoping nobody needs one... Me included.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby TassieMargie » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 7:33 am

Thanks Adam for the info you have provided. will check out the links later, when I am not so busy. I am liking the GPS one myself. I suppose it doesn't really matter how much it costs, anything that will help you out in an emergency is worth it.

In diving they have a thing, can't remember the name of it at the moment, but it is a long streamer type thing that is visible from the air. I have also heard that Rock climbers use it as well. Maybe that could be used as well. From what I have read they are lightweight. They wouldn't be too useful in a forest though, I expect. I'll get back to you all with a link if I can find it.
TassieMargie
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby corvus » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 4:57 pm

The brand I currently have is a KTI and their new 406 is KTI Mini Sat or Mini Sat -G which will be available in Feb looking at it size and weight It looks like the one for me http://www.kti.com.au/plb.htm however I am keeping an open mind at the moment
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 5:40 pm

Yep, nod bad...
It seems the contenders at the moment are

http://www.kti.com.au/minisat406gps.htm

and

http://www.gme.net.au/epirb/mt410.php (With Specifications)

Maybe expressions of interest should be sought for members of the forum to do a bulk purchase & see if we can get a better price... It's something I would think about.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby flyfisher » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 6:48 pm

G'Day Corvus, I also have a KTi RB3 mini sat alert ,so if you have any luck with the manufacturer regarding upgrades, please let us know, But I expext they will want us to buy new ones. :cry: Anybody know for sure what date in 2009 the old ones become N.B.G. :?:

Cheers John
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Joe » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 7:00 pm

I imagine that it would be a pretty hefty upgrade...its totally different frequency range so would need new transmitting gear and antenna...Most likely comunicate on a different protocol with newer units too. I think its highly unlikely to be a possibility.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby corvus » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 7:12 pm

G'day ff I have emailed the Manufacturer but I tend to agree with twf and I suspect it will go the way of our perfectly good CDMA phones and to the best of my knowledge they become NBG in Feb 2009
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby flyfisher » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info Corvus & TWF. Looks like some of us will have our hands deep in pockets next year. :cry: A group purchase would be a good idea if enough are needed and a willing supplier can be found :)
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby walkinTas » Wed 30 Jan, 2008 9:09 pm

If you visit GME online or this page about changes you'll understand that, as TWF said, its completely new technology.

"Users of the 121.5 MHz beacons will have until February 2009 to complete the switch over." (GME site) - ie. 1st Feb, 2009.

I guess a lot of people will be hoping for a PLB for Christmas.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Thu 31 Jan, 2008 6:59 pm

Reply from KTi

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the KTI Mini-Sat / KTI Mini-Sat-G Personal Locator Beacon.

These products are currently in the COSPAS-SARSAT approval process which must be completed before the product can be sold. This process is expected to be completed within two to three months. Once approved we will be distributing this product through our existing network of outdoor stores and at that time we may be able to advise which stores in your area may be carrying stock. We will add your details to our list of those to contact when the product becomes available.

We will be releasing the Mini-Sat at a RRP of $499 and the Mini-Sat-G at the RRP of $649. These prices include GST.

The Mini-Sat and Mini-Sat-G products are truly pocket size, measuring just 125mm x 84mm x 35mm at the extremes (265 cm3) and weighing just 220 grams (Mini-Sat) or 240g (Mini-Sat-G).

The Mini-Sat and Mini-Sat-G products are equipped with a high intensity strobe light for long distance visibility at night. The aerial features a swivel mechanism allowing it to be set vertical whether the beacon is in a life vest pocket or lying flat on the ground.

The Mini-Sat-G is equipped with the latest technology GPS engine enabling super-fast position acquisition and the ability to report position through geostationary satellites. The helical gps aerial provides maximum signal sensitivity and is highly resistant to shadowing, masking and alignment problems.

The Mini-Sat and Mini-Sat-G products are powered by long life lithium batteries which provide more than 24 hours continuous transmission, ten years between battery changes and freedom from current passenger aircraft transport regulations.

The Mini-Sat and Mini-Sat-G PLBs are self-buoyant, waterproof and resistant to immersion to more than 3 metres. Our product warranty against faulty materials and workmanship is for a period of ten years from date of purchase.

The Mini-Sat and Mini-Sat-G PLBs are in the process of certification to the applicable requirements of COSPAS-SARSAT C/S T.001, AS/NZS4280 and CAR252A.

Regards,
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Thu 31 Jan, 2008 7:02 pm

I thought this was worth posting in full -dont have any preference at this stage
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 7:29 am

corvus wrote:Reply from KTi
We will be releasing the Mini-Sat at a RRP of $499 and the Mini-Sat-G at the RRP of $649. These prices include GST.

One thing I have learnt recently is how much can be saved on an RRP on certain products.
A household appliance with an RRP of 2199 can be bought for $1640 when you shop around. Makes you wonder how much you lose by not trying.
Also makes you wonder what you might be able to get one of these for if a retailer is willing to assist.
We shall see.

As for preference, I like the sound of the GPS model... Instant accurate reporting of where the distress is.
I can't imagine ever wanting to use an EPIRB, but if I do need to, I reckon I will want the help, like NOW!!!!
So if it came to it, telling them exactly where I am sounds appealing!

Still, I realize that I may be on my own for an extended period when activating an EPIRB, as should anyone using them.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby corvus » Fri 01 Feb, 2008 9:59 pm

As tasadam suggested we may be able to get a bulk purchase discount but in the past I have been able to get good prices by personal negotiating also the release of the one I mentioned has not happened as yet and we have a years grace with the old system :)
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Lynda Moir » Sat 02 Feb, 2008 2:08 pm

WILD magazine did a review last year.
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby walkinTas » Sun 16 Mar, 2008 1:36 am

PLBs are slowly coming on the market for the 406 Mhz standard.

Heres a few examples.
ACR Terrafix
Pains Wessex Fastfind and Fastfind Plus
GME’s AccuSat Series
KTi Mini-Sat 406Mhz PLB

And here is a gadget that takes the whole idea one step further....
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/01/spot_gps_tracking_device_is_perfect_for_remote_climbers_and_jealous_girlfriends-2.html
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby slick41st » Sun 23 Mar, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Guys,

Count me in on the group deal. Personally I will most probably go with KTi, I have always used their gear, and they were a customer of mine when I was selling electronic test equipment in Melbourne. Biggest advantage is you can talk direct to the factory if you need support.

(hey moderators I hope this is OK as I am about to talk about the cxompany I work for, but the technology is pretty exciting..........):

Talking about GPS tracking, my company is tracking the 3 Peaks Yacht race - if you have Google Earth then open it up and click on this feed link http://www.datacall.net.au/index.php?op ... 6&Itemid=2
it will show you the current position of all yachts. Not quite EPIRBish in nature for this thread, but if there was an emergency occur, we would have an accurate location of where they were in the past 15mins, little bit like that spot device. We use 3G network to transmit the positions, so any lack of network will delay the signal, but we are surprised so far at the coverage.
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Next

Return to Techno-Babble