EPIRB

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: EPIRB

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 23 Mar, 2008 6:42 pm

slick41st wrote:(hey moderators I hope this is OK as I am about to talk about the company I work for, but the technology is pretty exciting..........)

We'll let you get away with it this time. ;)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby walkinTas » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 12:34 pm

slick41st wrote:Hi Guys,

Count me in on the group deal. Personally I will most probably go with KTi, I have always used their gear, and they were a customer of mine when I was selling electronic test equipment in Melbourne. Biggest advantage is you can talk direct to the factory if you need support.

Where are we at with the bulk order / group deal? I'm be interested in either the KTi or GME. Probably a GPS version.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:56 pm

walkinTas wrote:
slick41st wrote:Hi Guys,

Count me in on the group deal. Personally I will most probably go with KTi, I have always used their gear, and they were a customer of mine when I was selling electronic test equipment in Melbourne. Biggest advantage is you can talk direct to the factory if you need support.

Where are we at with the bulk order / group deal? I'm be interested in either the KTi or GME. Probably a GPS version.

I currently have a KT1 RPB so I'll be in on a bulk order as well if we can organize one

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Penguin » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 8:06 pm

I would be interested in GPS version - depending on price. Happy to be guided as to which is the better unit. I like light weight toys!
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 24 Mar, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm not in the market for an EPIRB right now, and don't know a lot about them, but I've been told that the new versions are some time from being released yet. Somebody with more knowledge of this area might like to post here to make sure that the people interested in a group purchase are aware of the timelines of when this might be possible.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby walkinTas » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:38 am

The GME product is on the market now. Customers can NOT buy directly for the company but have to buy from one of their retail outlets and since demand is well ahead of supply, bulk orders and discounts may take a little bit of effort to negotiate. Is anyone on friendly terms with a retailer? The RRP of the base model is $499 and the RRP of the GPS model is $649, but I have seen these as cheap as $429.00 & $589.00 plus GST and postage.

The KTi product is 6 to 8 weeks away as they are still working through the approval process. Their base model sells for $499 inc. and their GPS model for $649 inc. They are willing to discuss bulk orders and discounts for 10 or more units. The chap I spoke with seemed genuinely interested and willing to help.

We have plenty of time to organise something between now and February. There will be a bit of a rush to buy when the products first come on the market, but if we are patient there will probably be some discounting once there is real competition in the market (about 10 weeks from now). Meanwhile, someone might be able to talk to the local retailers.
Last edited by walkinTas on Tue 25 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:59 am

how many units are we talking here? I can talk to mate but it depends on quantity.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby corvus » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 4:36 pm

I will be keen to purchase the GPS model but not till closer to the expiry date of my current one in FEB, I dont want to have two bits of gear that I can only fondle and look at :lol:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby flyfisher » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 7:10 pm

You can put me on the list as well.

Not sure which model yet but I am happy to go with the flow

Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby tastrax » Mon 31 Mar, 2008 9:45 pm

I would suggest waiting until after the expiry of the current units. PWS hire EPIRBS and (I suspect) they will be rolling over their stock to 406Mhz by the end of 2008. I also reckon the price will keep falling as the competition for sales hots up. Maybe hire for the 2008/2009 summer and then see what happens in the market place.

Cheers - Phil
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby svEngineer » Mon 12 May, 2008 11:12 pm

Hi,

I have bought the GPS equiped GME Accusat from Tamar Marine. It's first trip was Mt Anne.

A bit under $600 and I will get 7 years battery life out of it. As I also go yachting I don't want to spend any more time in the southern ocean than necessary in an emergency. The improved GPS accuracy difference can save hours off the search time, and I would be in the water and getting colder by the minute thinking- why didn't I spend the extra $150. In the bush the difference could mean a night search party on foot could find you. Rather than waiting for a helicopter search.

EPIRBS are required by Law to be carried by offshore boats, the PLBs (personal locator beacons) are smaller and are optional for crew but are the same except they have less battery life (24hrs) and don't have to float with the antenna upright in water. And they are shutting down the old system soon, end of this year.

I have registered my PLB online with AMSA- they now have five contact phone numbers to try and my 4wd details.

Just hope I don't have to use it.
svEngineer
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble