Inreach. Mini vs 66i

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Inreach. Mini vs 66i

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 6:28 pm

Inreach: Mini vs 66i
As a Inreach Mini owner Ive been interested in the latest Garmin inreach satelite messenger model, the 66i. Purely to see what I’m missing out on :lol:
Its got some advantages over the mini but also some disadvantages.

mini-.png
mini-.png (15.01 KiB) Viewed 10733 times

66i.png
66i.png (28.9 KiB) Viewed 10733 times

66i Advantages
  • Faster locking GPS. Due to multiple GNSS support. (this is significant because getting a gps lock on the mini can be tough in challenging terrain like ravines and deep valleys.)
  • Colour topo maps for navigation on device
  • Typing msgs on the device is easier than on the mini, with a larger screen it can display all the alphabet at once. Both devices allow pairing to phone for much easier typing.
  • More memory. Can hold many more routes and waypoints in device memory. 1000 vs 20 on the mini.
  • Altimeter and barometer.

66i Disadvantages
  • No satellite weather forecast. This is a big one. 66i requires access to wifi or mobile phone data to obtain weather info. Not great if your somewhere where a change in the weather could put your safety at risk. Initially Garmin said this would be added later but now all mention is removed from Garmin sites. :(
  • Weight and size. Its 241 grams vs the minis 100 grams.
  • Battery. 66i has 200 hours at 30 min tracking. Mini has 24 days at 30 min tracking. (this is going off the Garmin site, real life is less from my experience with mini)
  • Cost. Inreach mini is $499 RRP. 66i is $899 RRP. Can likely get both a bit cheaper if you wait for specials

Everything else is largely the same. Both can do sos/msging/tracking etc.

My take.
My opinion, if your doing your nav on a smart phone or paper map and relying on the inreach for satelite sos and messaging/tracking then likely the mini would be best.

If your wanting an all in one nav/sos/sat msging/tracking then go with the 66i but keep in mind the screen on the 66i is smaller than large smart phones so you will see less of the map. Also the battery on the 66i is not going to last as long especially if your using it for significant nav as well. (can top up both devices with a powerbank).
Last edited by wildwanderer on Mon 28 Oct, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Inreach. Mini vs 66i

Postby ribuck » Mon 28 Oct, 2019 6:41 pm

I'm very happy to stick with my Mini, since I carry a phone for maps, and don't need a heavier satellite communicator.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Inreach. Mini vs 66i

Postby wayno » Tue 29 Oct, 2019 4:24 am

the mini pairs with your phone and you can use type messages from the phone on garmins earthmate app and use a map from your phone.... so its not a major loss. you dont need to handle the mini at all once you've started it. one less thing you have to hold onto. i think you might get more battery life if you reduce the logging frequency as well thats tracking how far you have gone.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to Techno-Babble