Garmin Australia/New Zealand Topo V6

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Garmin Australia/New Zealand Topo V6

Postby keithy » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 6:16 pm

The Garmin Australia and New Zealand Topo V6 has been out for over a year now, and the differences have been mentioned before like in this blog post over at the good folk at Johnny Appleseed https://blog.ja-gps.com.au/2018/04/garm ... v5-review/

I have previously taken some small screenshots of the comparison between V4 full and V5 lite some 4 years back. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18409#p255060 . I continued to use the V4 full until I started using OSM maps instead.

I've now been lent someone's V6 lite so I can make some comparisons against the V4 that I still have, and andrewp's awesome OSM contribution which you can read about here viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28893

The V6 lite has 40m contours while the V6 full has 10 meter contours. Apparently more tracks have been included to both versions, including the long missing Overland Track among others.

I will also endeavour to see if the contour issues raised in Wild Magazine back in 2016 have been rectified.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22557#p293328

But for now, here are some screenshots I took comparing the Garmin Topo V4 full, the Garmin Topo V6 lite, and the andrewp's OSM compilation.

Garmin Topo Comparison Tas 3km (Small).JPG
Topo Comparison Tas 3km scale
Garmin Topo Comparison Tas 3km (Small).JPG (118.15 KiB) Viewed 11920 times

This is the Acropolis Track in Tas at 3km scale on my Garmin Oregon. I realised that at 3km scale tracks don't appear on the V5 lite. But you can clearly see the tracks and additional information on the OSM visible at this level not on the Garmin Topos. Note that "The Acropolis Track" and Waypoint flag is a waypoint I have created, and does not form part of the map. There are no tracks here on the Garmin V4.

Garmin Topo Comparison Tas 300m (Small).JPG
Topo Comparison Tas 300m scale
Garmin Topo Comparison Tas 300m (Small).JPG (119.73 KiB) Viewed 11920 times

This is the same Acropolis Track in Tas at 300m scale on my Garmin Oregon. This is when the tracks on the Garmin V6 Topo lite appear on my Garmin Oregon. There are no tracks here on the Garmin V4.

Garmin Topo Comparison Lerderderg 500m (Small).JPG
Topo Comparison Lerderderg 500m scale
Garmin Topo Comparison Lerderderg 500m (Small).JPG (131.34 KiB) Viewed 11920 times

This is the Lerderderg Track in Vic at 500m scale. The waypoint flags and markings to the left are mine, not part of the map. Some trails are visible in the V4, but do not show in the V6 lite at this scale. You can see the red trails on the OSM map. Note, the river course appears broken up at this scale on both the V4 and V6 lite, but on zooming in they do connect. The river courses are displayed in full on the OSM

Garmin Topo Comparison Lerderderg 300m (Small).JPG
Topo Comparison Lerderderg 300m scale
Garmin Topo Comparison Lerderderg 300m (Small).JPG (134.6 KiB) Viewed 11920 times

This is the same Lerderderg Track in Vic at 300m scale. The same trails appear on both the V4 and V6 lite. The OSM details mostly the same tracks with some slight (more accurate) variations. Note the river course on the V4 still appears broken at this scale.

To me, it is pretty clear which one continues to be on my Garmin handhelds for Vic and Tas at least.

If anyone wants any comparisons done with specific locations, let me know. I will only have the V6 lite for a week or so.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Re: Garmin Australia/New Zealand Topo V6

Postby keithy » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 8:10 pm

So the contour issues raised in Wild Magazine back in 2016 viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22557#p293328 have indeed been rectified in the Garmin Topo V6 (I assume in both versions, as the lite only shows 40m contours).

These are the comparisons, and I have also shown the original screenshot comparison images from Wild Magazine on the left, against the Garmin V4 / Garmin V6 lite / Andrews OSM

You can clearly see the whackadoo contours that Wild complained about in the V5 maps were in some areas of the V4 maps to some extent, but they appear to have been rectified with more accurate data in the V6. I think I mentioned before in the earlier thread, the errors introduced in the V5 maps were not in the V4 maps in the Colo River and Wolgan examples.

Of course, the OSM still matches the paper maps more accurately.

Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Capertree (Small).JPG
Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Capertree VS Garmin V4 & V6 lite VS OSM
Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Capertree (Small).JPG (141.86 KiB) Viewed 11898 times

Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Colo River (Small).JPG
Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Colo River VS Garmin V4 & V6 lite VS OSM
Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Colo River (Small).JPG (135.61 KiB) Viewed 11898 times

Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Wolgan (Small).JPG
Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Wolgan VS Garmin V4 & V6 lite VS OSM
Wild Mag Garmin Comparisons Wolgan (Small).JPG (135.49 KiB) Viewed 11898 times
keithy

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble