Desktop version
For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.
Post a reply

Gaia, View Ranger or Other iPhone GPS Map Apps?

Tue 14 May, 2019 11:28 am

Any thoughts on which of Gaia, View Ranger or some other iPhone app is best for hiking in Europe? I don't mind paying for maps if they are worthwhile but the important thing is that I can use the maps without cell phone/data connection. I have View Ranger on my phone and used it in the UK - I haven't used Gaia and its web site is very USA centric. Thanks WT

Re: Gaia, View Ranger or Other iPhone GPS Map Apps?

Tue 14 May, 2019 5:39 pm

I've used Pocket Earth in the US, Europe and Asia.
You need the pro version to get downloadable maps. And a little more again for topographic maps.
Once downloaded, it works happily in aeroplane mode (the GPS still works) thereby saving your battery.

Note that no-one else on this forum seems to use Pocket Earth. Read into that what you will!

Gaia, View Ranger or Other iPhone GPS Map Apps?

Tue 14 May, 2019 5:45 pm

I've used both Pocket Earth and Viewranger, and have recommended both on this forum in previous threads.

They both work well enough that I can't justify the premium price for Gaia.

I agree that Viewranger would probably be the best choice for Europe.

The Maps 3D app is also very good.

Tue 14 May, 2019 7:41 pm

I use https://osmand.net/ but on an ipad

You can purchase contours and hillshade for specific areas. There is also a subscription service with regular updates from OSM. All pretty cheap plus you can add to the maps via Open Street Map if something is missing!

Tue 14 May, 2019 10:20 pm

I use MapOut: https://www.mapout.app/
It works offline and has overlays for cycling and hiking.
You can import GPX routes and it also has inbuilt routing functions which can be exported as a GPX (e.g. to download into a Garmin device).
Post a reply