Replacing my PLB

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Replacing my PLB

Postby Warin » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 3:49 pm

wayno wrote:when SAR get close to you they still need to have the beacon going to pinpoint you effectively, they switch to another frequency coming from teh beacon that they can pick up on antennas that are often installed on the helicopters and carried by SAR

121.5 MHz .. fitted to and monitored by commercial aircraft too, the commercial aircraft cannot do direction finding but they can monitor signal strength - when the signal strength peaks they are closest to you and would normally report it. This same frequency was used by the older PLB/EPIRBs too .. and it has not changed with the 406 - it too transmission on 121.5 and on 406.

I'd think if the transmitter failed after a day the rescue people would still be keen to get to you, so just stay put and leave the PLB/EPIRB on. If you 'drift' then they are going to have problems finding you after the PLB/EPIRB stops transmitting.
Warin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby emma_melbourne » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 2:49 pm

Thank you all for the update.

It appears that the ResQ Link PLB is usually $299, and the Garmin InReach Mini is $439.12 (cheapest I could find), so the difference in price is only $40.
(Link: https://www.zylax.com.au/garmin-inreach ... 79-00.html? )

I realize there's subscription fee and monthly fee etc, also for using the Garmin InReach Mini.

Aside from the price difference, the Garmin InReach Mini is 30 grams lighter than the ResQ Link PLB. (At 100 grams versus 130 grams)

Then the added functionality of messaging, checking in with family, being able to communicate my location etc.

So I am leaning towards the Garmin InReach Mini.
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Lizzy » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 4:31 pm

emma_melbourne wrote:Thank you all for the update.

It appears that the ResQ Link PLB is usually $299, and the Garmin InReach Mini is $439.12 (cheapest I could find), so the difference in price is only $40.
(Link: https://www.zylax.com.au/garmin-inreach ... 79-00.html? )

I realize there's subscription fee and monthly fee etc, also for using the Garmin InReach Mini.

Aside from the price difference, the Garmin InReach Mini is 30 grams lighter than the ResQ Link PLB. (At 100 grams versus 130 grams)

Then the added functionality of messaging, checking in with family, being able to communicate my location etc.

So I am leaning towards the Garmin InReach Mini.

Hmmm looks like $140 difference not $40
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble