iPhone trekking pole mount query

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

iPhone trekking pole mount query

Postby dagsands » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi bushwalkers
I've got a few pretty special walks coming up this year and I want to do a better job of capturing memories than I have previously. My brain memory is terrible, so I'd like to use my iPhone. I did have a wee GoPro copy but it was so wee I lost it.

But so far, touch wood, I have never lost my phone and as it serves so many other purposes I figure I'll just use that ... and instead of taking a selfie stick, which I don't have anyway, and in the interests of taking less, dual purpose blah blah I reckon I'd like to use a trekking pole mount for capturing special moments on the track.

I've come across the 'stickpic' (side note - wow Voice recognition really got that one wrong :lol: ) and I'm just wondering if anyone's tried it and if you have any other suggestions I don't really want to spend a lot so if there's any DIY options or cheaper/easily available options I'd be grateful for the advice.

Thanks! Cheers
Dag
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate
Region: New South Wales

Re: iPhone trekking pole mount query

Postby keithy » Mon 09 Jul, 2018 4:13 pm

I haven't used the stick pic, but have seen them in the past.

In the past I had tried to make my own mount with varying degrees of success (failures).

But since 2014, I've used this DIY camera mount on my various hiking poles and it's worked with my Camera/phone/GoPro with appropriate mounts. I usually only take it out for when I travel solo.

keithyshikingpolecameramount (Medium).jpg
keithy's hiking pole camera mount
keithyshikingpolecameramount (Medium).jpg (83.65 KiB) Viewed 10469 times

After my earlier DIY attempts, I had a look at what I had around at home and I settled on this bicycle handle bar mount that I already owned - I think it cost me the princely sum of $3 at the time.

The bicycle handlebar mount has the standard 1/4" tripod male mount attached, and weighs about 55g by itself, so is heftier than the stickpic. Depending on how thick your hiking poles are, you might need the thicker rubber inserts - I usually have heaps of these from various bike lights and other bicycle handlebar mounts, but you can make them from old tubes. There maybe other lighter versions but this works well enough for me.

To attach a GoPro or phone, all you need are the appropriate female tripod mounts.

I have a three segment hiking pole, and attach it near the lock mechanism of the second segment. Extending the second segment usually means the camera is around 800-900cm away from the handle.

I can leave the mount attached to the pole when being used, but have to be careful it isn't too low down as the bottom screw can stab into your leg while walking. Also to stop the metal tripod thread from stabbing me or getting too wet I usually remove the whole "ball" segment and put that with my camera.

I had another motorcycle mount that had a lower profile, and did away with the protruding tightening screw, but it required an allen key to install and remove/tighten, which I thought would be something else I might lose.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby dagsands » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:34 am

Hi Keithy - thank you for your suggestions... I'm pretty sure I have a bike mount around here somewhere, so will just need to get myself the iPhone casing and go from there. If all else fails I can see about the stickpic.
Thanks again for all the useful tips.
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby keithy » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:56 am

After you find your bike mount, regarding the phone mount, I have tried a few different tripod phone mounts.

I have a few different styles, but the one pictured is my lightest and packs the smallest. It is only for 55mm-85mm wide phones, but you can get wider versions as well for not much more than $2. Mine weighs about 14.5g. My phone in the pic above is a 6.0" screen phone - with my protective case, the phone is just a shade over 80mm wide.

For example its here in the small version for $1 (or $1.10 with GST now) and they also have the other sizes.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Camera-Stan ... 1522415626

The other tripod phone holders I have are bulkier and heavier, between 50g - 75g.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 6:45 pm

I've used a manfroto camera arm...Once. Its a bad idea. If you want the mount to stay stuck to the pole, it needs to be light, or you really start to notice it. Of course the manfroto can handle a full dslr, but it sure weights enough on its own!
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby dagsands » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks keithy and gadgetgeek. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble