GPS Units

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

GPS Units

Postby kantonysen » Mon 26 Mar, 2007 6:34 pm

Corey mentioned in another thread that he uses a GPS to help him navigate. Just wondering if the more modestly priced units provide enough accuracy for bush walking, and how reliable are they?
How long does it take to get a fix? Is it a case that the initial fix takes some time and the the following fixes are quite quick?
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joe » Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:38 pm

I have a Garmin Geko 201. Its one of the cheaper greyscale LCD jobbies. No mapping capabilities but for bushwalking it is spot on. I use it frequently with the Gazetted Names Database provided by tas govt to locate waterfalls and big trees etc.

It has track back functionality too which is good if you find yourself in a bind.

have used the etrex, and can say that the geko is worth the extra coin...its smaller, faster to grab a lock and generally just seems to have a more intuative interface for me.

I also use it for geocaching...or should say used...havent done any caching in a long time..but its a good way to learn to use the GPS...
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.
Region: Tasmania

Postby The Caveman » Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:19 pm

I do use my GPS pretty actively when out and about.

Generally I use it to log my tracks, then d/l on the PC to share with others if needed.

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend. Middle of the range as far as hand held units go, has built in map capability, accurate to 5m under normal conditions and locks in within minutes of warm up.

Little bit larger than the GEKO, but the screen resolution and features are very useful and are worth the extra.

Size is about the same as a Nokia mobile phone, but 1.5 times as thick.

I got mine from a US distributor for AUD$175 delivered. Nearly $100 off RRP here.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kantonysen » Wed 28 Mar, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks for your replies, I bit the bullet and bought a Magellan Explorist 100. I should not need to keep out so much of a weather eye out now when going into the Western Lakes.
Last edited by kantonysen on Sun 01 Apr, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joe » Wed 28 Mar, 2007 8:04 pm

well check out http://www.geocaching.com and especially http://www.geocaching.com.au now that you have a GPS geocaching is a great way to learn to use it.

I go by the username aloysius7 on there...I havent really been into it for about 6 months...but from looks of things there are some really good caches popping up still...one at long marsh dam that caught my eye
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby kantonysen » Wed 28 Mar, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks, taswaterfalls. I'll have a look shortly.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joe » Wed 28 Mar, 2007 9:06 pm

I notice you are on NW coast...if you want to meet up and do a cache or two together to get the hang of it I woule be more than happy to. Good excuse to pop out and see whats been happening since i stopped actively caching.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby kantonysen » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 9:27 am

taswaterfalls, I'm pretty heavily engaged with activities over the next month or so but a great offer for the future thanks.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

GPS

Postby Pompom » Mon 27 Aug, 2007 11:41 am

kantonysen wrote:Thanks for your replies, I bit the bullet and bought a Magellan Explorist 100. I should not need to keep out so much of a weather eye out now when going into the Western Lakes.

Hi Kantonysen. I was trawling the site today and found your entry of a few months ago.
I also bought a Magellan 100 and am chuffed to bits with it.
I have found a couple of good web sites that I wouldn't be without. One is put out by the Tasmanian University and shows how to convert the Lats/Longs to map references,it's a great read[but heavy at times] The other is a Magellan PFD that gives out much more of its operation than the little booklet does. I've printed mine out and had it bound at Officeworks, it runs to about 30 pages.
Sites. http://www.geog.utas.edu.au/censis/loca ... pamap.html
The other one must be Magellan. http://www.magellangps.com/en/store/

Hope this is of some assistance.
Bob Cooper
Pompom

Postby kantonysen » Mon 27 Aug, 2007 8:16 pm

Thanks Bob, I had found the magellan site but did not know about the UTAS site. I've got my route into the Blue Peaks Lakes listed which makes me feel a bit more secure in case of mist.
Keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pompom » Mon 27 Aug, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi Keith,
How do you go with the almost invisible right turn[about half way on way out] on the hard pebbly ground, if I am daydreaming I usually miss it and wake up about 100 metres further on,even then it can take a bit of finding.
Cheers
bob
Pompom

Postby kantonysen » Mon 27 Aug, 2007 10:12 pm

Bob, if I have the section you mean, you turn slightly to the right from a section where it is almost as though vehicles have been there, as there are two pads running parallel to one another. It gets a little more difficult to find the route a few hundred metres from here on the way out.

When I've gone in previously I've gone in after a couple of months of trout season have gone by and found generally that it is possible to find the pads where people have walked in previously but as you say the rocky bits can be harder to see the route on.
Cheers
keith
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: GPS

Postby walkinTas » Mon 01 Oct, 2007 5:54 pm

Pompom wrote:I have found a couple of good web sites that I wouldn't be without. One is put out by the Tasmanian University and shows how to convert the Lats/Longs to map references,it's a great read[but heavy at times] The other is a Magellan PFD that gives out much more of its operation than the little booklet does. I've printed mine out and had it bound at Officeworks, it runs to about 30 pages.
Sites. http://www.geog.utas.edu.au/censis/loca ... pamap.html
The other one must be Magellan. http://www.magellangps.com/en/store/

I just found this topic and your links. Thanks.

Here are a another link that might help others. It will convert your GPS data to Google Earth files.
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth

Admin: Maybe this forum needs a board for 'Techno Babble' so we can talk about computers and software and GPS and other Geek gadgets! Maybe? Huh! Perhaps?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Techno-Babble