Can't transfer photos with MacOS update

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Can't transfer photos with MacOS update

Postby Tortoise » Sat 22 Jul, 2017 6:17 pm

Technology appears to have beaten me again. After much urging for me to update my Mac OS to 10.12.5, a friend kindly did the deed for me. I lost a few things in the process, but this is the most distressing:

A bit of googling appears to indicate that there's a good reason why I can't manage to download photos from my RX100ii SD card to my computer any more - something to do with Sony. While I'm unlikely to understand anybody's response to this post, I couldn't resist asking, as I would love to be able to have a look at the photos I take. Has anybody managed to import photos from their RX100ii SD card to a Mac with the latest OS update?

Thanks.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Can't transfer photos with MacOS update

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 23 Jul, 2017 8:06 am

Never a problem and the latest is 10.12.6. Further, a SD card is but an external drive, can't see why you'd have problems. What I suggest is to use Apple's standard app - Image Capture to preview and select the images for download. The other obvious option is to use included Photos app. I dislike 3rd party apps from Sony or other camera manufacturers as their support tend to be haphazard over time.

PS. Go in Finder and ensure external drives (including SD) are mounted and shown on the desktop. Then another easy solution is to open the relevant folder of the SD and manually drag the image files onto your Mac.

PS2: The best practice is to regularly update and keep up with the official update cycles. Far less chance of anything going wrong. Major jumps in OS versions invariably bring out more issues, especially with those out of date 3rd party apps/extensions.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby teak » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 12:49 pm

When I updated my Mac to 10.12.5 I could not upload photos from my Pentax but my Nikon still worked as normal. This morning I updated to OS 10.12.6 and both now work as they should. I transfer photos by inserting SD card into slot, an icon then appears on desktop with card name, I open photos from the toolbar and an option appears to import all new photos. Hope this helps.
teak
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 6:29 pm

You're really making my system feel its age - 10.9.6

Given the issues when that update went in, I'm in no hurry to do it again.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Return to Techno-Babble