PLB in Peru?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

PLB in Peru?

Postby Drew » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:20 am

For years I've had a nagging feeling of guilt about not owning a PLB, but I've always baulked at the cost. With a 10 day, independent, high altitude hike in Peru planned for this year, I'm wondering if this is a good time to bite the bullet and get one.

I've just looked up what happens when you activate an Australian registered PLB overseas. It seems that Australian authorities will alert local authorities of the beacon's deployment and give registration details. After that, any search and rescue effort is in the hands of local authorities. I suspect that in the case of Peru I might not expect much of a search effort - probably not the near instantaneous appearance of a helicopter that I might get in the Vic Alps!

Nevertheless, there might be some effort made to find me, and it would surely be good for Australian authorities to know that I'm in trouble and know my location.

I'm curious to know what others think about this.

Thanks
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: PLB in Peru?

Postby Gadgetgeek » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 11:49 am

Even if the response is delayed, it won't be nearly as delayed as it would be when you don't show up. It may be worth contacting the nearest relevant consular office to see if they have any recommendations with regards to this. Alternatively you could look into one of the private rescue companies, it might cost a bit, but at least then you know who's coming to get you.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Drew » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 1:22 pm

Even if the response is delayed, it won't be nearly as delayed as it would be when you don't show up.

Good point.

I've read in a couple of places that Peruvian police won't start a search and rescue operation without upfront payment or guarantee of payment. I wonder if Australian authorities would come to the party in that case. I'll have travel insurance, but as far as I remember even when you register your trip with DFAT they don't ask for travel insurance details, so they won't be able to authorise payment in a hurry.
Drew

Postby madmacca » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 2:44 pm

It's worth remembering that a PLB takes the search out of Search and Rescue. And then it becomes a matter of a 30 minute flight out, and then back, rather than 5 hours of aimless flying around mountain peaks that are higher than the service ceiling of a helicopter, and something the local authorities may be much more willing to consider.

I think there is a reasonable professional network between international maritime S&R authorities, so you can rely on the message being passed on. It is the local action that may be slow. I agree with gadget - talk to the Australian embassy in Peru about what the likely local response will be. http://peru.embassy.gov.au/lima/Contact_Details_1.html I suspect they will be pretty familiar with pulling people out of the Andes with altitude sickness - although possibly from areas with more infrastructure (eg. Cuzco or Macchu Picchu) than from more backcountry areas.
madmacca

Postby Drew » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 3:01 pm

It's worth remembering that a PLB takes the search out of Search and Rescue.

Also an excellent point.

I've emailed the embassy. I'll let you know what they say.
Drew

Postby Strider » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:04 pm

I own a PLB, therefore I'm already an advocate for ownership. Apart from cost I honestly can't think of one single reason why not to own such a life saving device.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 9:07 pm

The other thing you need to consider is the cost of rescue.

Other countries may expect the rescuee to fit the bill, so travel insurance might be worth considering.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Drew » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 9:14 am

I own a PLB, therefore I'm already an advocate for ownership. Apart from cost I honestly can't think of one single reason why not to own such a life saving device.

Nope, there's no good reason not to own one. I guess a large part of the reason I've never got one is because I don't walk along (or haven't for a long time anyway), so there's always the sense of safety in numbers. However as most of my hiking friends are less available these days I can see myself heading out solo more in future.

Other countries may expect the rescuee to fit the bill, so travel insurance might be worth considering.

Yep, I'll certainly have travel insurance, always do.
Drew

Postby Strider » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 9:17 am

Drew wrote:

Nope, there's no good reason not to own one. I guess a large part of the reason I've never got one is because I don't walk along (or haven't for a long time anyway), so there's always the sense of safety in numbers. However as most of my hiking friends are less available these days I can see myself heading out solo more in future.

Safety in numbers only applies where the group is nearby to assistance. It could take a full day or more for someone to walk out and raise the alarm or reach a location with sufficient mobile reception. In the instance of a snake bite, for example, by the time help arrived it could already be far too late.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 9:22 am

Safety in numbers only applies where the group is nearby to assistance. It could take a full day or more for someone to walk out and raise the alarm or reach a location with sufficient mobile reception. In the instance of a snake bite, for example, by the time help arrived it could already be far too late.

Yep. That's why I wrote "a sense" of safety - not necessarily real safety, just reassurance! Although one of my walking friends has a PLB, so we are covered when she joins us!
Drew

Postby Drew » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 1:16 pm

I got a reply from the Australian Consulate in Lima:

Thank you for your e-mail. Please note that our Travel Advice (http://smartraveller.gov.au/Countries/a ... /peru.aspx) is DFAT’s only advice on safety and security. In our Travel Advice we recommend that your travel insurance policy covers all your planned activities and suggest that you ask your insurer for advice.

We do not have knowledge of PLB systems.

The Peruvian Tourist Information and Assistance Agency (IPeru) in the city of Huaraz advised us that the search and rescue entity in charge of rescue operations in Peru is the Peruvian National Police’s (PNP) High Mountain Rescue Department (Departamento de Salvamento de Alta Montaña - DEPSAM). They provide assistance without cost in case of any emergency. They also advised that travellers in the mountain regions should have a satellite phone as there is no phone signal in the mountains.

They went on to give me contact details for the police and the association of mountain guides.
Drew

PLB in Peru?

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 4:58 pm

It's a no brainer.

Our PLB utilises the Cospas-Sarsat program (as for ships and aircrafts) and Peru is a participant. Away from it, there's no alternative apart from luck and nature in an emergency. Of course, it's not realistic to expect 1st world level response, but there will be SAR services in Peru. As for many developing countries, military and other civil or private organisations may be involved. If needed, there's hardly any alternative to choose from.

So yes, just get it as your last line of safety!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Drew » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 9:08 pm

It's a no brainer.

Yep. Just ordered one. Now here's hoping I never have to use the thing!
Drew

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 9:23 pm

Drew wrote:Yep. Just ordered one. Now here's hoping I never have to use the thing!

It's a bailout for that rare unexpected. Best!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble