AGD66 to GDA94 conversion

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

AGD66 to GDA94 conversion

Postby peregrinator » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 3:47 pm

The GDA 2020 thread prompted me to post about current rather than future conversions. (2020 compatiblity, according to keithy and Mark F in unison, is inconsequential. Good, one less thing to worry about.)

I searched recently for a the easiest way to make conversions from AGD66 to GDA94. I wanted to enter waypoints derived from old maps into a GPS device. I found a solution, then searched this forum in case anyone else had referred to AusDatumTool, the software I came across which offered that solution. Yes, AnthonyD, its creator had done so about five and a half years ago http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2660&p=91819&hilit=ausdatumtool#p91819

AusDatumTool is still current, so it seems appropriate to start a new thread because that old thread was concerned primarily about the relation between WGS and Australian-based data. Not an issue that I want or need to know anything about. I should mention though that the software does include other datum sets: WGS84, NZGD49 and 2000, and ANG, which I see is from 1858 and measured in yards! As far as I know, there were no sets based on rods or chains.

There may be better software available for my simple task but I couldn’t find anything. In any case, this does everything I need. It’s a basic but I think well-designed tool. For example, when inputting the 6 or 7 digit Easting and Northing coordinates, an adjacent box labelled “Topo map” automatically shows how these references will be displayed in the traditional 2x3 digit form. Very useful if you are doing conversions while consulting old maps.

It can be demo-ed for free for a limited time, but it costs only $6. I almost passed it by when trawling the net because the top of the home page shows a Windows GUI and I use a Mac. But somehow managed to scroll down to see that running it on Mac or Linux can be easily done by installing a Windows emulator, with the relevant link to that being provided.

If anyone at my beginners level of learning about GPS usage is looking for an easy to comprehend solution to conversions, this should fit the bill. Perhaps experienced people might also find it handy if they are often needing a simple way to do conversions.
Last edited by peregrinator on Sat 28 Jan, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: AGD66 to GDA94 conversion

Postby neilmny » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 5:43 pm

Good thread pereginator.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 8:07 pm

Back in the day I used to have another program on my Windows 95 or 98 PC. It was before XP, I'm sure. I'll see if I can still find it.

But if I recall correctly, you have a Garmin GPS, pereginator. So another way to do the conversion if you have no access to a PC, but have your Garmin GPS is to do the conversion on the GPS unit. All the recent Garmins will have both AGD66 and GDA94. So what I would do is:

• set your preferred position format (if not already set),
  • then set the datum to AGD66,
  • input the reference points from your AGD66 maps and save them as way points,
  • then change the datum to GDA94,
  • then review all the previously saved waypoints and you have their GDA94 coordinates.

Edit: well, what do you know, that PC software looks like it is still available GDAit - http://www.dtpli.vic.gov.au/property-an ... eful-tools I've not tested it on Windows 7/8/10 though.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby peregrinator » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 4:26 pm

Adding two things to my comments about this software.

GDA 2020 has been included in the Datum fields in the latest update.

I first used it a few months ago to do simple conversions as explained above. Today I discovered a useful video made by the developer explaining how to use it to do that plus several other tasks. Here is the link:http://www.binaryearth.net/AusDatumTool/index.php

I wrote earlier that the software is "basic", but it's much more than that now that I have learnt more.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 29 Apr, 2017 9:25 am

It's a great bit of software peregrinator and for a mapping tragic like me well and truly value for money.
I have no affiliations.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Techno-Babble