GPS Tracker Tile

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

GPS Tracker Tile

Postby Nuts » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 6:08 pm

These tiles have needed a mobile network link, or a group bluetooth device in range, I believe this is the first stand alone product (GPS wise)?
I intend to trial one of these tiles for a project (not bushwalking related, no sales association), or have for a while, and been waiting for one not needing the mobile network to locate. If indeed it doesn't and is functional.. traceable in (GSM) GPS network.

Hiking is mentioned in the source advertising. I guess there may be some application? maybe for tagging the littluns?

https://www.xyfindit.com/shop/xygps
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: GPS Tracker Tile

Postby ribuck » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:16 pm

Nuts, I don't see any reason to believe that this device works as you think it does. As far as I can tell, it is a standard Bluetooth device with a website that provides the last recorded Bluetooth location, plus a kind of collaboration facility where your device will also be located if it passes within range of another user's Bluetooth device.

[Edit: notice that there is a reference to "GPS + Bluetooth" mode, but no reference to any GPS-only mode. ]
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Nuts » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks, I was hoping someone would say that, as I was left wondering if it wasn't just an iteration of previous bluetooth or group sharing tiles, intended to do some further research, I found it from an advertisement, not this one (from facebook search), similar:

"XY-GPS is a fully self-contained GPS finable device. This means that if your dog gets out of the yard, you can see his/her location from anywhere in real-time! Need to track a company vehicle, no problem. Want to make sure your car is safe or see where you parked - It does that too. The uses are endless and the possibilities are limitless. The GPS device will work nearly anywhere in the world, protecting your things without borders. You do not need your phone to connect to the device, you don't need someone to be close to the device and you don't need to even have a phone to locate the device. See the location of your device from ANY device with internet access. Don't have internet access? Call our support team and we can help you over the phone!

It is simple, attach the GPS beacon to anything you want to get real-time location information about. You decide how often you want to get an update or set the beacon to only alert you if something is not where it should be. Everyone has a different use and we gave you the power and freedom to set up the device based on your own needs".
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 9:01 pm

Ok, it's generating a lot of interest on their page but perhaps the fact is missed in the 600+ comments:

XY Find It Nicole, the GPS will work, but you will have to have a cell signal to transmit the data.
Like · Reply · 1 · Yesterday at 6:27am

Would need it's own satellite reception/base (similar to spot?) before these are really much of an innovation ie. if it can only transmit that GPS data once back in a mobile network.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Techno-Babble