PLB Your Input

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

PLB Your Input

Postby Tassie Tiger » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 12:25 pm

Gday,

Solo walker most of the time so one of my new year presents to myself is to be a PLB.

Just read this article http://www.gpsaustralia.net/content.php?r=20-PLB-Beacon-Review-2016-The-personal-EPIRB! which also lead me to this forum.

The PLB recommended in the article is the Kti SA2G.

Your feedback on experience with the unit, comparisons etc would be most welcome.

Cheers
Wayne
"There is more to Life than Increasing its Speed" (Ghandi)
Tassie Tiger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: PLB Your Input

Postby neilmny » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 1:12 pm

Haven't used one of any kind and hopefully never will. I have a GME MT410G which has a few years left in it's lifespan (7 year span).
My plan is to purchase an SA2G (10 year span) when the GME expires.

The post listed above yours (at the moment it is) is about the SA2G - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19038
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Tassie Tiger » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 1:27 pm

Hello neilmny,

thanks for the input. The review I cited above was very informative and I have just watched a youtube review of the SA2G which is adding to my direction of drift to purchasing one. Cheers
Tassie Tiger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby neilmny » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 1:32 pm

Which ever you choose must be registered with AMSA with your details and the identification number of the PLB.
That way if you set it off they have your details and contacts etc. to notify if the activation. http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/
(Ignore this lot if you already knew it)
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby taipan821 » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 9:25 pm

and even if you get a PLB with GPS, have signalling (both audio and visual) in case the satellites can't get an accurate fix...went out on a EPIRB hunt that started in the whitsundays and then the position moved to the North Sea...
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 9:29 pm

taipan821 wrote:...........have signalling (both audio and visual) in case the satellites can't get an accurate fix............

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are saying here taipan.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 9:41 pm

I think what taipan is meaning is that you should have something as well for more local signaling, just in case. As far as I understand the SAR teams can triangulate the signal directly as they close in, but it would also be good to be able to whistle to the ground crew or mirror flash the aircraft, in case of a partial system failure.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby taipan821 » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 10:31 pm

thank you gadget geek, locating a PLB using triangulation is tricky and tedious (play a radio fox hunt and you know what I mean) if we see a flash, or a sound we stop and focus on that until we find you or discredit it.

you only activate a registered PLB (thank you neilmny for bringing that up) if you are injured or have lost all situational awareness (gotten lost) from experience (playing a victim during a SAR exercise, as well as volunteering with SES) the average human Is the tiniest thing to find from a plane and is just as hard from the ground

point is, while a PLB gives great peace of mind, there are situations which render a PLB useless, so keep that in mind.

hearing this while coming back from an air search...scariest thing in the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_HPABguK6w
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 31 Dec, 2016 10:47 pm

taipan821 wrote:........point is, while a PLB gives great peace of mind, there are situations which render a PLB useless, so keep that in mind. ......

So activate PLB only if life threatening situation and all other methods of communication are not possible (AMSA rule?) PLB is useless ....kiss *&%$#! goodbye!
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tassie Tiger » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 1:33 pm

Ok thanks for the input everyone. I will be purchasing the SA2G however, a more pressing issue may see it fall to second place on my list of priorities. Whilst cleaning my budget walking boots of 5 years standing after a week away I have discovered the connection between the sole and the upper on one of them no longer exists(that would explain the squelchy feeling I had under my left foot on the last day!!!! :-) ). So new boots are number one now. No point in a flashy new PLB if I have no boots for walkin' !!!!!
Tassie Tiger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby taipan821 » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 1:40 pm

Tassie Tiger wrote:Ok thanks for the input everyone. I will be purchasing the SA2G however, a more pressing issue may see it fall to second place on my list of priorities. Whilst cleaning my budget walking boots of 5 years standing after a week away I have discovered the connection between the sole and the upper on one of them no longer exists(that would explain the squelchy feeling I had under my left foot on the last day!!!! :-) ). So new boots are number one now. No point in a flashy new PLB if I have no boots for walkin' !!!!!

shoe glue or a cobbler might be able to help with that...depends on the price of the boot
taipan821
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Sun 01 Jan, 2017 10:10 pm

Yes, homing procedures on the 121.5 analog signal can be time consuming. They involve flying set patterns at varying altitudes, a lot of squelch adjustment and also sometimes slightly de-tuning radios to locate the position.

This is why it's important not to turn off the PLB until instructed to do so. It's easy to see an aircraft flying over head multiple times and assume you've been found when you haven't.

It's also why giving the PLB the best possible sky view and orientating the antenna is important. This will ensure the GPS position is as accurate as possible and reduce the need for any time consuming homing procedure.

As for recommendations, haven't used the suggested unit. I have the PLB1 which has an advantage if you're a gram weenie and also on size, but also has reduced battery life (7 compared to 10).

Definitely make sure you register and update your details whenever you or one of your listed contacts gets a new phone or moves house.
South_Aussie_Hiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby Tassie Tiger » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 8:31 am

Cheers South_Aussie_Hiker. All noted.
Tassie Tiger
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dashandsaph » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 7:09 pm

South Aussie Hiker - I understand getting the best possible sky view for the PLB but what do you mean by orienting the antenna? My understanding was that you pulled the antenna to its limit out of the PLB when you activated it. How should it be oriented?
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 8:15 pm

I think SA Hiker meant the GPS antenna, which is internal. Most PLBs have written on them where this is located on the unit and to ensure a clear view of the sky.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Techno-Babble