Altimeter watch

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Altimeter watch

Postby jktrapdoor007 » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 8:26 pm

Casio has released or is releasing a new range of their Pro Trek series. The model spec is PRG 600 followed by 3 other digits which as far as I can tell serve to differentiate between the type of band. I was going to buy the Suunto Core but the Pro Trek appealed more and more principally because of the solar powered battery and the timeless analog watch display. I'm struggling to find a way to purchase this model. Any ideas?
jktrapdoor007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Altimeter watch

Postby keithy » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 11:47 pm

I think the new PRG 600 series was only recently released (around 20 Oct) in Japan. Other markets will follow soon. If you buy it now you will likely get a Japan release model and pay the premium that usually goes with that.

If that's not an issue, check out Ratuken. There are some reputable sellers that do Japan release Protreks and G-Shocks.

For me I have a few Protreks using the V3 sensors now and while i like the look of the new range including the PRW7000 I find that it takes a lot longer for me to read the info from an analogue face with a small digital window when compared to an all digital face. So for ABC watches I prefer a full digital readout.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby jktrapdoor007 » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks for the tip keithy. The new PRG-600 series allows you to move the hands for better viewing of the digital display. On Ratuken, I can buy it for $300 cheaper than on watchentre.com.au.
jktrapdoor007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jktrapdoor007 » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 9:03 pm

Have you had any problems shopping with Ratuken?
jktrapdoor007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby keithy » Sat 29 Oct, 2016 5:45 am

Ratuken is sort of like the Japanese eBay. So sellers vary. Check the sellers reviews. Also go to the global site. http://global.rakuten.com/en/ prices will be in USD and shipping will default to international.

Check out the sellers name on a watch forum like watchuseek if you are curious about others experiences with that particular seller.

Edit: wow I just checked the prices from watchcentre and boy are they marked up with the Aust tax. Eg the PRG270 that cost me around $110 is going for $369. And the PRG300 that cost me about $160 is going for $399
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby jktrapdoor007 » Sun 30 Oct, 2016 7:44 am

Thanks again.
jktrapdoor007
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Techno-Babble