Hiking Watch

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Hiking Watch

Postby Aztec » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Guys,
I'm looking at getting a watch... for bushwalking/hiking...
Something that is pretty basic - I don't need too many bells and whistles...

The main features I'd want - time & date (duh!), alarm, and temperature... that's about it really... I don't need GPS, heartrate monitor, or pedometer etc...
Just something I can wear while walking and hang from the roof of the tent of a night...

I've had a look at the Suunto Core - it seems to do what I want (and a lot lot more!) - it may be overkill... it's also pricey!

Just seeing if people have other recommendations?
Cheers,
Richard

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” - Thomas Mann

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Hiking Watch

Postby Mark F » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 9:36 am

I have an 12 year old Suunto Vector - basically an earlier version of the Core. It continues to work well and only needs a new battery once a year - I certainly don't want a watch that has to be constantly recharged. It's bad enough with the phone. Has all the functions I need, I do like the altimeter for keeping track of long climbs. It is on it's second strap and a bit scratched but still works perfectly.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby benoloughlin » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 9:43 am

I have a Suunto Core and I love it and I got it before doing the WOJ last year.
Tasmanian weather in the central plateau is extremely fickle and having a barometer/storm alarm function is really handy when you are out of mobile range to get weather data.
The altimeter function is based on changes in barometric pressure and its handy to cross reference against a topographic map to assist in way-finding.
Compass is quite sophisticated.
I also have mine set up so that it displays sunrise and sunset times.

Downside:
the back-light is near to useless.
batteries require changing each year, however its extremely easy.

I purchased mine online from wildearth. I searched around the site a bit and claimed all the discounts which brought the price down a bit and it was the cheapest price I found on the Internet.
benoloughlin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Geevesy » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 10:40 am

I have a Suunto Ambit 3 which although pretty pricey has been great for all sorts of activities, not just the walking. I'd recommend it.
A path! A path!
Geevesy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby blakey_ » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 1:49 pm

If you don't need GPS etc, how about a simpler Casio that has a thermometer? Pro Trek triple sensor (Compass, Barometer/Thermometer, Altimeter) will get you all you want and a bit more, including solar powered. Run you about $150: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371644973880

GShocks with thermometer are in the higher price brackets.

If you drop the need for a thermometer then a super basic F91W/F105W or similar would also suffice for a pittance.
blakey_
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 2:25 pm

Thermometers in a watch tend to measure your wrist temperature not the air temperature (there is one in the Suunto Core/Vector associated with the barometer) and they are very slow to change as they are measuring the thermal mass of the watch. They usually do not provide daily max/min, especially min which allows you to assess the performance of your sleeping kit. A better suggestion is a separate max/min thermometer. I use a separate Garmin Tempe temperature sensor which links to my Garmin eTrex 30 and can be read by apps on my android phone (10 grams with battery) and provides current and 24 hour max min temperatures..
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 2:34 pm

Mark F wrote:I use a separate Garmin Tempe temperature sensor which links to my Garmin eTrex 30 and can be read by apps on my android phone (10 grams with battery) and provides current and 24 hour max min temperatures..

Does it capture the temperature, e.g., overnight min independently of the GPS status? Thinking I really don't want to have to have my GPS on overnight to simply get the temperature.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 3:26 pm

The Tempe captures the current temperature and the max min temperatures without need for the GPS or phone and stores them. The Garmin gps (several models) and the phone just communicate with the device and display the stored temperatures. If you don't connect to the Tempe each day then you will lose the max and min temperatures for the previous day.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Watertank » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:44 pm

I have this one Casio Men's PRW-2500T-7CR Pro Trek Tough Solar Digital Sport Watch, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S ... UTF8&psc=1
It is solar powered so doesn't need battery changes, is very solid and light weight, a cheaper version which I had until I lost it is Casio Men's PRW-3000-1ACR Protrek Black Sport Watch, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5 ... UTF8&psc=1
I have been very impressed with the quality of Casio watches.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 8:26 am

I have owned three Suunto Cores (a Sahara Yellow, Yellow Black, and All Black). The dot matrix screen of the Suunto Core does look very cool. It also does a good job in recording data. I would not recommend the negative screen versions though - black face, green text. They are difficult to read in various lighting conditions.

I have a few other issues with the Cores. The core's Sunrise/Sunset is based on a fixed city database. Changing the time is manual when traveling (instead of being able to change the timezone and automagically changing the time). The biggest issue for me was when may favourite Sahara Yellow Core went through a battery every 3 months even with limited use of the functions. But Amer Sports (the distributor) were great. They took it to have a look and when they had to send it back to Finland to get looked at they replaced it with the All Black (they didn't have the Sahara Yellows anymore).

I have since bought a few solar powered Casio Protreks. My first one was the PRG270 got for just over $100. I have reviewed it elsewhere in comparison with the Suunto and will send you the link.

I subsequently picked up a PRG300 which has slightly larger main font than the PRG270. This is the watch that is now my travelling companion while doing some walks in Europe. I have also given quick reviews of this and compared it with the PRG270 on other sites. There are a few things I like about the Protreks better than the Suunto.

If you don't need the barometer/altimeter and just want the temperature there are cheaper twin sensor watches from Casio that include a compass and thermometer or some of the Edifice series analogue faces that include a thermometer.

There are also barometer/temperature gadgets like this one at Aldi viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21067.

The clip on ones tend to be more accurate than the wrist worn ones as the wrist worn ones will provide a reading of your skin temperature. What I do when walking is buckle my Protreks to my sternum strap so it gives a more accurate temp. If it is really cold / raining I will strap the watch outside my outer jacket on my wrist.

I've found that my PRG300 is much more sensitive to temperature than my PRG270, which was in then more sensitive than the Suunto Cores.

If you do want to go down the ABC watch route I probably could make some suggestions there as well. There are a few cheaper but still accurate watches out there other than Casio and Suunto. I have some issues with the Casios too, but they are fairly minor.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Aushiker » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 10:45 am

Mark F wrote:The Tempe captures the current temperature and the max min temperatures without need for the GPS or phone and stores them. The Garmin gps (several models) and the phone just communicate with the device and display the stored temperatures. If you don't connect to the Tempe each day then you will lose the max and min temperatures for the previous day.

Thanks for the explanation. I might look out for one.
Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby Aztec » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 11:36 am

keithy wrote:I have since bought a few solar powered Casio Protreks. My first one was the PRG270 got for just over $100. I have reviewed it elsewhere in comparison with the Suunto and will send you the link.

Cheers mate, appreciate that...
Cheers,
Richard

“Thoughts come clearly while one walks.” - Thomas Mann

Aztec
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble