How to get Waypoints and GRs into Etrex 20x via BaseCamp?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

How to get Waypoints and GRs into Etrex 20x via BaseCamp?

Postby peregrinator » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 4:02 pm

This question from a novice in GPSing. What I need to do is get Waypoints and grid references into the device. This data is provided by someone who does not have saved routes, just the coordinates. They are in fact all that I need anyway in preparing for these walks.

As the subject implies, I assume that importing to Garmin BaseCamp must the best way to begin. All the searching I’ve done online on this question has proved useless. I’m sure it cannot be that difficult but I am stuffed without the assistance from the gurus here.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: How to get Waypoints and GRs into Etrex 20x via BaseCamp

Postby andrewp » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 5:39 pm

Assuming that you have the waypoints as a gpx file then it is easy and you don't need to use Basecamp.

Connect the GPS to a computer via the USB cable. Copy the gpx file to the garmin\gpx folder on the device.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby peregrinator » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 6:56 pm

andrewp wrote:Assuming that you have the waypoints as a gpx file then it is easy and you don't need to use Basecamp.

Connect the GPS to a computer via the USB cable. Copy the gpx file to the garmin\gpx folder on the device.

Thanks, andrewp. No, the Waypoints are not saved as a gpx file. They have simply been notated somehow and exist only in that form as a set of numerals. That's why I said that they were not associated with a Route, but I also should have specified the lack of a gpx file. So my original question still seeks an answer.

I know about the computer to device transfer, in particular because I have some of your OSM maps on the Etrex already. An opportune moment to say thank you very much for these!
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby nevw » Sun 16 Oct, 2016 8:17 pm

Do you want just a straight line between your lat lon points or do you want a route drawn following a path, track or road between each lat long point?

Give this program a try. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
Easiest way would be to paste your data as comma separated text into the box then select the 'gpx' button, then convert.
If you have a very large number of lat long points it may be easier to get them into a spreadsheet to get the format done and then export to csv and pasting it in the box.

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do is an easy way to convert lat, long points to gpx track or to way points.
Form is simply as follows in a text file for the input.
lat,lon
(It is also an excellent program for creating tracks)

If you instead want a route drawn between your points, you could type them into Graphhopper as in the following example that will plot the way using the openstreetmap data and you can save as gpx. At the top of the page you can change the mode from a vehicle to walking to cycling and the route will change to suit in most places if more suitable routes are available.
https://graphhopper.com/maps/?point=-28 ... =Omniscale

Google maps also accepts input of lat long points into the boxes when you select the directions button. It changes the lat lon coordinates to text but uses the point data you entered and their routing data to show the route on the map ( eg https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/-27. ... 440916!3e2 ). If you select 'details' you will see a share button and on selecting it you will be given a url of the route.
If you paste that url into the url box at this site http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input , select the 'gpx', button and then convert. Near the top of the next you are given a gpx link to download.

And finally to view your gpx file, use this site http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input? ... width=1200
Load your gpx files at the 'Upload your GPS data files here' section and 'Draw the map'
In the top right corner you can change the background map.

If all is well, drag and drop the file from your pc/mac to the GPX folder in the Garmin, go to the 'track manager' to find it, view on map, show on map, or select 'where to?', then 'tracks' and select the one you want and select 'GO'
Last edited by nevw on Mon 17 Oct, 2016 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
nevw
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby neilmny » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 7:06 am

In Basecamp there is a drop down menu '"Device" with a sub menu "Send to device" then a "send selection to device".
You will need to have the waypoints copied into a folder in Basecamp.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks, neilmny. As I replied to andrewp, I know how to send data to the device. What I don’t understand is how to get coordinates into BaseCamp in order to begin the process. Maybe it’s impossible?

Selecting File>Import obviously does not work if all I have available to import are a bunch of coordinates. I’m not starting with files of any kind, just raw coordinates; some expressed as grid references, some as GPS Waypoints, none as latitude/longitude.

Therefore, while I greatly appreciate the wealth of information in nevw’s post, it also doesn’t answer my question. And remember, I started this topic by saying “this question from a novice at GPSing”. So nevw, you’ve really got my brain in a mess! I don’t need to know anything about routes, tracks, straight lines, bent lines, going-round-in-circles lines. All I plan to do is tick off some coordinates as I walk, mainly referring to a paper map, just using the GPS as reinforcement.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 8:02 pm

You'll need to at least have the coordinates in UTM, lat/lon or MGRS to add them as waypoints into Basecamp...it wont recognise a 6 figure grid reference without the zone, easting and northing. If you know what area your coordinates are in you could open the map in Basecamp and move your mouse to the coordinates you have. Basecamp will show the full coordinates as the mouse moves to give you the zone and you could fill in the blanks from the coordinates.

Or refer to a map of the area to get the easting and northing.
Last edited by GBW on Mon 17 Oct, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 8:36 pm

I think all you can do is use your data to create the waypoints one by one in Basecamp then send the whole lot to the device.
As GBW says make them in the general location that they belong then edit them to the exact coordinate you want one by one.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 8:53 pm

I can't remember exactly how I did it but I converted an Excel spreadsheet saved as a csv (comma separated values) file into either kml or gpx. kml - gpx conversions are simple. Just Google the transformation you want and several options will appear - eg "csv to gpx". I think I sucked the csv file into Google Earth and ended up with a kml file which I then converted to gpx for the Etrex using another piece of software.

My Excel sheet looked like
Position Name Icon
55H 626700mE 5970300mN Perisher Valley 97

Don't worry about the Icon column. I created a set of icons for my Extrex 30 as I find the standard Garmin icons take up too much screen space and didn't provide me with the visual clues I want such as defining a low point.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby peregrinator » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 2:28 pm

GBW and neilmny, by combining your suggestions I have resolved my problem. Thank you very much for your advice.

I now have the first few coordinates of my path entered into BaseCamp, so transferring them from there to the Etrex will be straightforward. But that is on hold until I add the rest of the coordinates. Won't have time to do that for a day or so, but just had to say thanks as this issue was really bugging me.

MarkF, as I am a newcomer to this GPS stuff, I’m sorry to say I don’t understand what you have written. Are you saying that there is a more efficient way to proceed than by doing what GBW and neilmny have suggested?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 2:37 pm

peregrinator - what I was saying is that I found it easy to type up the points in an Excel spreadsheet and then use various bit of software to convert them into the gpx file format required by Garmin.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby peregrinator » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 3:37 pm

Mark F wrote:peregrinator - what I was saying is that I found it easy to type up the points in an Excel spreadsheet and then use various bit of software to convert them into the gpx file format required by Garmin.

Thanks, MarkF. So does that mean that a gpx file can consist of just coordinates alone, not linked to a route? And would your method be the most efficient procedure if there were a large number of coordinates to enter, rather than, say, the few dozen I need to input?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 4:07 pm

Glad you're working it out perigrinator and yes the gpx can be waypoints (co ordinates) from aywhere without a track or any connection to a track. Co ordinates or waypoints are seperate from any tracks you create and not physically attached to them but may fall exactly on a track.

You can create a Garmin track buy linking from waypoint to waypoint.

When you create and save a Garmin route going from existing waypoint to exisiting waypoint and/or along a mapped road/track etc. the way points become part of the saved Garmin route but still remain available as seperate stand alone waypoints.

I hope that makes sense.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peregrinator » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 4:43 pm

neilmny wrote:Glad you're working it out perigrinator and yes the gpx can be waypoints (co ordinates) from aywhere without a track or any connection to a track. Co ordinates or waypoints are seperate from any tracks you create and not physically attached to them but may fall exactly on a track.

You can create a Garmin track buy linking from waypoint to waypoint.

When you create and save a Garmin route going from existing waypoint to exisiting waypoint and/or along a mapped road/track etc. the way points become part of the saved Garmin route but still remain available as seperate stand alone waypoints.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes, makes complete sense, thank you.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble