OLD GPS lost maps

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

OLD GPS lost maps

Postby slparker » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 3:19 pm

HI,
I bought a gps a few years ago with the full intention of using it for navigation.

I used it a couple of times before realising that there was no way that I could get used to navigating off a screen after an adulthood looking at 1:50, 000 maps with a compass.

Not helped by discovering that my bike GPS could supply me a MGRS co-ordinate, rendering my GPS to the drawer.

So..... I charged my heavy, expensive MGRS calculator the other day with the intention of finding a co-ordinate locally, only to find that the topo maps have disappeared and I only have maps with roads: no contours, terrain or anything. I'm presuming that I didn't purchase maps after all; but a limited subscription to maps. I recall that, at the least, it came loaded with Vic and Tas maps.

Anyway what's the easiest/cheapest way to get maps for a Garmin Montana 600?
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: OLD GPS lost maps

Postby photohiker » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 3:41 pm

Openstreetmap.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 3:52 pm

I don't specifically know about the Montana 600 but a couple of general thoughts.

- Are the maps enabled? In the menu system you should find a way of enabling a map, otherwise it will not be displayed. Maps are easily added for free. The link is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zzekid1f5g7mud5/AADL_LqQIyQ9RIScgVhw5k53a?dl=0

- Were the maps on a SD card and if so is it in the gps? May be worth removing the card, restart the gps, turn off, replace card, turn on.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby keithy » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 6:06 pm

With your Montana have a look at the model number. If it is the 650T it would have come preinstalled with Topo maps on the device memory. If it is the 650 model it didn't come with preinstalled Topos.

What Mark is suggesting is a good place to start. Check that the Topo map is enabled.

The Montana can be used as an automotive GPS with spoken route directions so the street maps are enabled for routing.

One other thing to check is what "profile" you are in. From recollection the automotive profile enabled the street maps and disabled the Topo maps and set it in landscape mode etc.

Another thing you can do is use javawa device manager http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html. once installed, connect your Montana to the PC and javawa will tell you what maps are installed on both the Montana and the Montana's external memory card (if present).
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby keithy » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 6:13 pm

From recollection with the 650 there was only a once off purchase for the automotive maps (and once off purchase for Topo maps as well) - no subscription for maps was available. The only subscription I think you could get was the BirdsEye satellite imagery.

So if you had maps it was a one off (non-updateable) map.

If don't have maps installed, there are good OSM maps which can be used with a contour layer as well. Look up Andrew's compiled osm maps with contours which were pretty good.

Or you could get the VICMAP geopdf and get them into a custom raster map.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby slparker » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 7:28 pm

thanks for replies
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble