Victorian WMS contour map and OruxMaps

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Victorian WMS contour map and OruxMaps

Postby ken333 » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 4:08 pm

Victorian contour maps can be accessed directly by OruxMaps for Android, when on-line, and areas selected and downloaded for off-line use.
The maps are available from a WMS server, and include 10 or 20 metre contours, as well about 1000 other WMS layers.

There are 2 ways to set up Oruxmaps to use them:
1. When you have a data connection, tap the 'Map' symbol at top right - Switch Map - Online. Then tap WMS in the red bar. Type or copy-paste the following url into the 'Enter WMS Url' box:
services.land.vic.gov.au/catalogue/publicproxy/guest/dv_geoserver/datavic/wms

A list of Layers will be shown. (There are about 1000 of them). Select the layers you want by tapping the boxes to the right of the layer title. Eg Contour 1:25000 - Vicmap Elevation, Watercourse Network 1:25000 - Vicmap Hydro, Road Network - Vicmap Transport, Place Names, Point - 1:250k to 1 :5M - Vicmap Lite
Set Min zoom to 8, and Max zoom to 18. Enter the following into the Test boxes (so the map goes to a place in Victoria, where the map will show up). lat = -37.14, lon= 142.52 zoom= 16 (double tap .- button to get -). Enter a name eg Vic Contours. Create.

Or 2. A new item needs to be added to the file: wms_services.xml in the oruxmaps folder on the Android, in: (USB Drive)\oruxmaps\mapfiles
Connect the Android to a PC, find the file and make a backup copy. Open the file with a text editor, such as Notepad++ (or Notepad - but the file has LF line terminators, so is harder to read with Notepad). Copy and Paste the following into the file below the existing item(s), but before the </wms_services> tag:

<wms>
<name>Vic Contours</name>
<uid>205</uid><!--check it is a unique identifier in your list; -->
<desc>Vic Contour Map</desc>
<url>http://services.land.vic.gov.au/catalogue/publicproxy/guest/dv_geoserver/datavic/wms?</url>
<minzoomlevel>8</minzoomlevel><!-- 0 to 20 -->
<maxzoomlevel>18</maxzoomlevel><!-- 0 to 20 -->
<version>1.1.1</version><!-- do not change -->
<layers>VMELEV_EL_CONTOUR,VMTRANS_TR_ROAD,VMLITE_LOCALITY,VMHYDRO_HY_WATERCOURSE,VMHYDRO_WATER_AREA_LAKES_DAMS,VMLITE_VICTORIA_POLYGON_SU5</layers>
<coordinatesystem>EPSG:4326</coordinatesystem><!-- do not change -->
<format>image/png</format>
<cache>1</cache><!-- not in use -->
</wms>

Save the file. Disconnect from the PC. Start Oruxmaps with a data connection. Tap the 'Map' symbol at top right. Tap Switch Maps - Online. Tap the Refresh symbol at top centre. Scroll down to WMS and tap it. WMS:Vic Contours should show. Tap it. To see the map, the map screen needs to be in Victoria somewhere, and zoomed in so the scale is less than about 10kms. if you are not in Victoria, this can done by creating a Waypoint and changing the lat/lon in 1. above.

To download an area of map for off-line use:
Zoom out so you can see all the area you want to download. Tap the Map Symbol at top right. Tap Map Creator. Tap the top left and bottom right corners of the area required. Tap the blue tick. Type in a map name. Tap the resolution required (usually 18 - the max available). Tap dont stop downloading for missed tiles. Check the map has downloaded correctly. Back out.
Tap Map Symbol - Switch Map - Offline. The map should be there. If not, tap the refresh symbol.

The Vic WMS maps can be viewed on a PC browser via the on-line WMS Viewer (no installation required): wmsviewer-rodis.rhcloud.com
Copy - Paste the Vic WMS url (including http:// and ?) into the URL: box: http://services.land.vic.gov.au/catalog ... atavic/wms?
Copy - Paste the Layer into the Layer: box: VMELEV_EL_CONTOUR
Type 142.52 and -37.13 into the Go To boxes, and click GoTo. Zoom in so scale < 100 m to see 10 m contours.
Click View - View Layer. To see another layer, copy-paste it into the layer box and click View - Overlay layer. Also click View - OSM Overlay.
To see what layers are available, click Tools - GetCapabilities. Save the .xml file and open it with Notepad or an Xml viewer or browser.
The layers are shown after the <Layer <Name> and <Title> tags.

To see the above layers in wmsviewer, click this link:
http://wmsviewer-rodis.rhcloud.com/cust ... =EPSG:4326

See also my post on Qld QTopo Maps and NSW SIX maps. There is also a thread on Tas List maps. The Geosciences Australia 250K maps are also available from a WMS map server.

If you dont want to download and install Notepad++, the wms_services.xml file can be edited in Notepad. It is probably easiest to delete the one Wms item in the original file. It is a set of maps of Spain. Delete everything between and including the <wms> and </wms> tags, leaving 3 tags as below:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><wms_services></wms_services>
Place the cursor between each of the >< and press Enter to force a newline. Then Copy - Paste the Vic Contours item above, between the <wms_services> and </wms_services> tags. Save and disconnect.
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Re: Victorian WMS contour map and OruxMaps

Postby hairypanic » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 10:54 am

thanks for the link for the PC
hairypanic
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby sepa » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 8:45 pm

Wow. What an amazing resource and your guide to using it is excellent. Best Victorian digital topo maps I've seen, with the possible exception of Oztopo and Garmin, but these are free. Oruxmaps is my goto now. Been through the LAYERS list and found these additional ones useful:

Trails (already contained in VMTRANS_TR_ROAD but these highlight them):
FORESTS_RECWEB_TRACK - forestry walking tracks, already in VMTRANS_TR_ROAD but purple dot highlighted
VMTRANS_WALKING_TRACK - already in VMTRANS_TR_ROAD but green highlighted
VMTRANS_ALPS_WALKING_TRACK
VMTRANS_BICENTENNIAL_NATIONAL
VMTRANS_GREAT_DIVIDING_TRAIL
VMTRANS_SURF_COAST_WALK

Other (first three are must haves):
VMFEAT_GNR - extensive geographic names and features - essential addition but becomes cluttered at lower scales
VMLITE_GEO_POINT_LABEL - mostly main mountains, not very extensive
VMLITE_HY_WATERCOURSE - main rivers and creeks (permanent?) only but has labels unlike VMHYDRO_HY_WATERCOURSE
CROWNLAND_PARKRES - green shading for parks but makes contours less prominent
VMLITE_BUILT_UP_AREA - cities and towns
VMFEAT_BUILDING_POINT
VMLITE_TR_RAIL - rail network (Melbourne and regional)
VMLITE_TR_RAIL_STATION
VMTRANS_TR_ROAD_4WD (highlights them but already covered in VMTRANS_TR_ROAD)
VMTRANS_TR_ROAD_BIKE_PATH - excellent
VMTRANS_TR_ROAD_TOPO_LABELS - road labels, not working?
VMTRANS_TR_ROAD_TOPO_SIMP - road labels, not working?
VMTRANS_TR_ROAD_FOOTBRIDGE

So my main list is: VMELEV_EL_CONTOUR,VMTRANS_TR_ROAD,VMLITE_LOCALITY,VMHYDRO_HY_WATERCOURSE,VMHYDRO_WATER_AREA_LAKES_DAMS,VMLITE_VICTORIA_POLYGON_SU5,VMLITE_GEO_POINT_LABEL,VMFEAT_GNR,VMLITE_HY_WATERCOURSE
sepa
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Damdiv » Mon 19 Sep, 2016 3:18 pm

Note to self - check out this app when my old iphone carks it and I get an android.
Damdiv
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby keithy » Mon 19 Sep, 2016 9:30 pm

Damdiv wrote:Note to self - check out this app when my old iphone carks it and I get an android.

I really like Oruxmaps. I do recommend giving it a go when you do get an Android device.

It could have a simpler user interface, but it still does so much, and the developer is great. The free version is ad-free and does everything the "donate" version does. I went to the "Donate" version just to support the developer.

Here is some screenshots of it on my 7" Android tablet when I went to NZ earlier in the year. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22380

I've got it on a phone as well, and I am still impressed by the battery life when using it in airplane mode (wifi, cellular bluetooth off), just running the GPS with tracking and the screen set to turn off when tracking.

I put it on a cheap $50 prepaid android phone and it works on that as well.

It can get a is a bit complex in setting it up, and depending on your phone, you might have to set the phone to not shut off GPS use to the app when the screen is off, or you switch to another app, as I found out when I put it on a new phone. It kept stopping the GPS tracking when the screen went blank. But works well after I've configured the phone and the app.

I have used the VIC WMS maps for online, but haven't saved them for offline use yet. You can use OSM Garmin IMG maps on it as well although official Garmin maps are no supported.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby Drew » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 9:05 pm

There are 2 ways to set up Oruxmaps to use them:
1. When you have a data connection, tap the 'Map' symbol at top right - Switch Map - Online. Then tap WMS in the red bar. Type or copy-paste the following url into the 'Enter WMS Url' box:
services.land.vic.gov.au/catalogue/publicproxy/guest/dv_geoserver/datavic/wms

I'm finally getting around to trying to learn this app ahead of a few planned upcoming walks. I was hoping to access the Vic contour maps as you mention but got stuck. When I go to "Switch Map - Online", then tap "WMS" I don't get an "Enter WMS URL" box. Instead I get the following:
WMS:USGS Imagery Base Map
WMS:USGS Topo Base Map - Large Scales
WMS:USGS Topo Base Map - Small Scales
WMS:USGS Vector Base Map - Large Scale
WMS:USGS Vector Base Map - Small Scale

Any suggestions ken333?

Thanks
Drew

Postby ribuck » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 3:05 am

Drew wrote:
... then tap "WMS" ...

Not that WMS. You need to tap the other "WMS", which you will find in the stripe at the top of the screen.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Drew » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 8:42 am

Not that WMS. You need to tap the other "WMS", which you will find in the stripe at the top of the screen.

Whoops. Der...

Thanks!
Drew

Postby ken333 » Sun 14 Jun, 2020 2:53 pm

The link in the original post to view the Vic WMS maps on a PC browser no longer works. The online WMS viewer has changed to:
https://wms-viewer-online.appspot.com/

The link to the location in the OP is now:
https://wms-viewer-online.appspot.com/c ... =EPSG:4326

This uses the layers:
VMELEV_EL_CONTOUR,VMTRANS_TR_ROAD,VMLITE_LOCALITY,VMHYDRO_HY_WATERCOURSE,VMHYDRO_WATER_AREA_LAKES_DAMS

Sepa suggests adding some additional layers:
,VMLITE_VICTORIA_POLYGON_SU5,VMLITE_GEO_POINT_LABEL,VMFEAT_GNR,VMLITE_HY_WATERCOURSE
ken333
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australia

Return to Techno-Babble