Budget Price Eneloop Quality AA/AAA batteries - Ikea Ladda

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby keithy » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:19 pm

Woohoo Ikea's newer Ladda batteries have finally touched down in some states in Australia.

For those unaware, I mentioned the batteries a little earlier - they are low self discharge, Japanese made NiMH batteries, that appear to be sourced from the FDK facility in Japan that also supplies the Japanese Panasonic Eneloops.

They were announced earlier this year: http://press.ikea.se/aprilnyheter-batteriladdare/ and are on the US site (they are not updated on the Aussie site yet). http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70303876/

ImageImage
ImageImage
The new branding is quite plain, but there are different varieties:

AA: 2450mAh (White coloured AA corresponds with Eneloop Pro)
AA: 1000mAh (White coloured AAA corresponds with Eneloop Pro)
AAA: 900mAh (Light Brown coloured AA corresponds with Eneloop lite)
AAA: 500mAh (Light Brown coloured AAA corresponds with Eneloop lite)

• The Eneloop Pro variety has a larger battery capacity than standard Eneloops, however at the expense of lower recharge cycles (estimated at 500 cycles).
  • The Eneloop Lite variety has a lower battery capacity than standard Eneloops, however has significantly more recharge cycles (quoted 3000 cycles).

A number of other people have done tests on these, and they appear to be very good batteries. http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries20 ... h%20(White)%20UK.html

All are marked "ready to use", so they are Low Self Discharge. Bushwalk member South_Aussie_Hiker has done some discharge tests of his bought from the Ikea in SA, and his show about a 25% discharge for 8 month old batteries, which is pretty good.

The bonus is the price. They are cheaper than standard eneloop price - usually around $5/cell when not on sale.

In the eastern states:
  • the 2450mAh AAs and the 1000mAh AAAs are $9.99 for a four pack ($2.50/cell)
  • the 900mAh AAs and the 500mAh AAAs are $4.99 for a four pack ($1.25/cell)
In WA/SA:
  • the 2450mAh AAs and the 1000mAh AAAs are $10.90 for a four pack ($2.75/cell)
  • the 900mAh AAs and the 500mAh AAAs are $5.95 in a four pack ($1.49/cell)

Not all Ikeas seem to have them on the shelves yet. So far, Rhodes NSW/Richmond VIC do not have them in yet. But SA has them, Tempe NSW has them. Anyone from WA want to check to confirm?
The part number of the new higher capacity AAs is 703.038.76

I'm keen to pick up a set to test out, but I still have soooooo many Eneloop AAs. I just need a few more AAAs.

If you close to an Ikea as well, the older green/silver coloured Ladda batteries were made in China, but for the price were actually quite reasonable LSD batteries. Eastern states got them for around $1/cell. They might drop the price further of these to clear out older stock as well.
Last edited by keithy on Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Re: Budget Price Eneloop Quality AA/AAA batteries - Ikea Lad

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:10 pm

Hi Keithy.

The lites are $5.95 per four pack in SA. We pay an extra dollar for all four packs (which is a scam, but which is better than when we used to pay double for the old green/silver LADDA).

The 25% loss over 8 months assumes they were fully charged at the factory - which is unlikely. These are most probably rebadged Eneloop Pros, which retain 85% after 1 year.

The SA store had all types in stock, but I've since cleaned them out of AA 2450 - not sure when new stock arrives. Once photographers get onto this deal, they are going to sell like hot cakes.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby keithy » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks for that SAH. I updated post above.

I've seen enough discharge tests showing good chunk of their capacity fresh out of the box to believe that they are Eneloop Pros.

I'm sure the photogs will be all over these given the pricing. I still have a few batches of unopened Japanese Sanyo eneloops so I'll restrain myself and just get some of the AAAs and a set of AA 2450mAhs to see how long they last in my Garmin Oregon compared to standard 2000mAh Eneloops.
keithy

Postby South_Aussie_Hiker » Wed 03 Aug, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi keithy.

Looks like the have stock in lots of stores now.

And they have appeared on the IKEA AU website finally too.

Better get in quick before people snap these up.
South_Aussie_Hiker

Region: South Australia

Postby Aushiker » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 12:43 pm

Tried ordering them online via their WA/SA website but can only get to the second screen in their cart before getting a 404 error. Reported it to Ikea but of course got ignored so back looking for a good price on Eneloop batteries.

Andrew
Aushiker

Region: Western Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 12:57 pm

No problem in their Tempe store, Sydney. Along with a range of chargers.

Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby vanNek » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 9:07 pm

Temporarily out of stock atm....

"No half measures......"
vanNek
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby keithy » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 7:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:Tried ordering them online via their WA/SA website but can only get to the second screen in their cart before getting a 404 error.

Fancy - didn't know you guys in WA/SA could order Ikea stuff online! That's something that we Eastern staters don't have.

Did you try calling to see if they had it in stores?

vanNek wrote:Temporarily out of stock atm....

Yes, I saw someone on another forum mention that they went nuts and bought a few of the new Ikea batteries.

I should update the pricing from earlier posts:

Pricing for Eastern States
    AA 2450mAh $9.99 ($2.50/cell)
    AA 1000mAh $4.99 ($1.25/cell)
    AAA 900mAh $8.99 ($2.25/cell)
    AAA 500mAh $4.49 ($1.13/cell)

Pricing for WA/SA
    AA 2450mAh $10.95 ($2.74/cell)
    AA 1000mAh $5.95 ($1.49/cell)
    AAA 900mAh $7.95 ($1.98/cell)
    AAA 500mAh $4.95 ($1.24/cell)
Strangely, WA/SA have the cheapest AAA 900mAh Eneloop pro equivalents (just under $2/ea), while they pay a bit more per cell for all the other varieties.

So even though the Eneloop Pro equivalents have a lower charge cycle of around 500 cycles, I reckon for the higher capacity and the fact they are Japanese made FDK cells, they might take the best budget AA NiMH crown.
keithy

Return to Techno-Babble