Xiaomi Zi5 - USB input AA/AAA "smart" charger

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Xiaomi Zi5 - USB input AA/AAA "smart" charger

Postby keithy » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 6:02 pm

I posted this on another forum, but a few months ago I noticed Xiaomi getting into the NiMH battery game with their Xiaomi ZI5 AA NiMH batteries.

Currently as some members here know, Xiaomi make some good quality Lithium USB battery banks. I have both the 10000mAh and 16000mAh Xiaomi battery banks, and they are good.

These new NiMH AAs are 1800mAh-1900mAh and claimed to be LSD and made in Japan. The batteries are made in Japan so they are potentially from the same factory as Eneloops. However the prices weren't so great when compared with Eneloops, or even the newly announced Ikea Ladda (FDK Japan) batteries, so I didn't think much about them.

The thing I did notice however was the Xiaomi Zi5, a 4 slot independent channel USB charger (with battery bank capability)

I ordered one and it is now my smallest and lightest 4 slot AA/AAA USB smart charger with individual channel charging, and is a fairly fast charger (1A for AAs and 0.5A for AAAs). It is my fastest 4 slot AA/AAA USB input charger. It uses voltage to terminate charging, with a top up charge of around 1-2 hours after.

It can also be used as batterybank, but NiMH batterybanks are pretty average in comparison with good quality lithium batterybanks and I generally don't recommend using these as NiMH battery chargers - three of my other USB input AA/AAA chargers also have battery bank output capabilities.

Here are some pics comparing the size of the Xiaomi Zi5 with my other AA/AAA USB chargers - Goal Zero Guide 10+, Fujicell SCH500/Portapow, Sunjack. I've put some rubber strips around the button on the Fujicell because it has a habit of being easily pushed down when in a backpack - and this stops the charging process and reverses the single USB socket from input to output.

I have a few single slot USB input chargers but haven't included them in this comparision.

Weight comparisons:
Xiaomi Zi5: 58.1g (2oz)
GoalZero Guide 10+: 59.1g (2.1oz) - without AAA holder & without silicone cover
FujiCell SCH500/Portapow: 79.5g (2.8oz)
Sunjack Charger: 85.2g (3oz)

Using a micro USB plug for power input, it works best with a USB power source that can output at least 1A. With one of my 2.4A capable USB power bricks and it pulls 1.35A-1.66A from there when charging 4 x 2000mAh AAs. I can see this handy for use in the car on road trips as well.

Construction wise, the slidey top lid is a bit flimsy, and I might get rid of it and use a rubber/silicone band to keep the batteries secure instead. AA batteries are a tight fit and there is no give in the case, so getting just one middle cell out with fingers proves difficult. But other than that, it is pretty solid, and reasonably priced (about USD$10 delivered).

I tried it out briefly with my USB solar panels and it does work, but I'll have to wait for a sunny day to test it in optimum conditions with solar.

In comparision with my other current portable USB AA chargers:

• Portapow USB charger 4 slots (also seen this as a Fujicell SCH500 or 500F charger) - but can only charge 2 in slots 1&2 or 3&4 or 4 at a time. Also uses same USB socket for input and output and front button to switch, and needs USB male-male cable for charging and has USB output.
  • Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus 4 slot charger - can only 4 AAs at a time, needs additional attachment for AAAs, uses USB mini socket for charging and has USB output.
  • Sunjack AA/AAA charger 4 individual charging slots, 0.5A charge current for AAs, uses USB micro socket for charging.
  • Liitokala Lii100 1 slot NiMH/Li-ion charger - only 1 AA/AAA at a time, Uses USB micro socket for charging, and has USB output

HKJ has also reviewed it http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Ch ... %20UK.html

I'll take this as my default AA/AAA travel USB charger in place of the others now. My handheld GPS, torch, and Steripen all use AA batteries.
Last edited by keithy on Wed 20 Jul, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Re: Ziaomi Zi5 - USB input AA/AAA "smart" charger

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 6:26 pm

Nice!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Xiaomi Zi5 - USB input AA/AAA "smart" charger

Postby scoha » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 7:49 pm

Keith - you are a confirmed battery guru (tragic??)

well done, great report
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 8:33 pm

scoha wrote:Keith - you are a confirmed battery guru (tragic??)

Hahaha. Yes - total tragic.

As you know I have a few chargers and batteries. I get the headshakes now when a new charger comes in... "what is that - ANOTHER charger?"

BTW I've been taking to using Energizer Lithium AAs for my Garmin Oregon. I get probably just shy of 3 days walking with them in so I'm guessing around 22+ hours with a pair. A bit pricer than using NiMH batteries, but the weigh saving is there too. 15g per cell for Lithium vs 30g per cell for Eneloops. So for 5 days I'd need 4 Lithium AAs at 60g, vs say 6 NiMH at 180g or 8 NiMH AAs at 240g.

And I'm not sure about what happened to Garmin prices locally since I got your Oregon. They are all around $500 or over now for the same GPS!
keithy

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 10:10 pm

keithy wrote:And I'm not sure about what happened to Garmin prices locally since I got your Oregon. They are all around $500 or over now for the same GPS!

Time to head overseas again for selective gadget shopping.

Getting back to topic, where did you source this Xiaomi Zi5?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby keithy » Thu 21 Jul, 2016 5:20 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Getting back to topic, where did you source this Xiaomi Zi5?

Gearbest had it on promo for USD$10 delivered. http://www.gearbest.com/chargers/pp_363063.html Looks like the promo price is still active.

The "normal" price is meant to be USD$20, and the other place I ordered some 18650 batteries from has it for USD$14 http://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi ... 52225.html

I should take a few more pics of it, and should mention that it comes with a good quality short 22cm flat micro USB cable as well.
keithy

Return to Techno-Babble