Delorme inReach 1.5

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Delorme inReach 1.5

Postby Kristin » Fri 27 May, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at purchasing my first PLB (having only rented in the past). I've seen a lot of discussion about the inReach SE, but does anyone have any experience with 1.5?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162064640813 ... EBIDX%3AIT

This looks like a "cheap" way to get pretty much all the functionality of an inReach Explorer, as long as you have a smartphone.
I have been doing a few solo trips and intend on doing more solo multi-day walks ... so peace of mind for myself and my partner in being able to send a message to say I'm ok, as well as being able to send out an SOS....

Thoughts?
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Delorme inReach 1.5

Postby Aushiker » Fri 27 May, 2016 4:46 pm

I have one and it works okay for your suggested use, however I would not consider it a PLB and for my more remote adventures and hence will be taking a true PLB along.
Last edited by Aushiker on Fri 27 May, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby Mark F » Fri 27 May, 2016 5:07 pm

I can't comment on the Delorme but my SPOT does largely the same functions and I am very happy with it. There are two schools of thought, those who insist the only guaranteed way (but it isn't guaranteed) way to raise a rescue is by using a plb and so you MUST always have a plb. The second school argues that while a plb has an increased degree of reliability for raising a rescue, the performance of an inReach, SPOT etc is adequate (the user is willing to accept the slight increased risk) and the additional abilities make it a far more useful device for their purposes in maintaining contact with family and friends. My main advice is to develop a protocol about messaging that ensures those you communicate with act appropriately. Eg: no message does not mean I am in mortal danger and need rescuing, just that the message didn't send, I forgot the schedule, I lost the device, etc.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby RonK » Fri 27 May, 2016 5:08 pm

I have one. It is very functional and reliable.
A smartphone is only needed to send texts and email. Not needed for preset messages.
I have no reservations about using it as a PLB either.
RonK

Postby MrWalker » Fri 27 May, 2016 5:40 pm

Ab advantage of a SPOT tracking type system over a regular PLB is that it can keep working when you have collapsed due to a heart attack, stroke or whatever. So your relatives can find your body even when you can't push the button on the PLB. That's why I take both systems. However, the direct messaging on the Delorme inReach would help in dealing with unexpected situations that do not require a helicopter right away. Maybe I should get one of them to replace SPOT.
MrWalker

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 27 May, 2016 6:30 pm

MrWalker wrote:...help in dealing with unexpected situations that do not require a helicopter right away. Maybe I should get one of them to replace SPOT.

A helicopter? :shock:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby MrWalker » Sat 28 May, 2016 12:08 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
MrWalker wrote:...help in dealing with unexpected situations that do not require a helicopter right away. Maybe I should get one of them to replace SPOT.

A helicopter? :shock:

Yes, that's right. According to an article in today's Mercury, the refurbishment of Bernachi Lodge will means hundreds of helicopter flitting about the thousand lakes area dropping people off at their own lake. If I have my own helicopter I won't need SPOT any more.
MrWalker

Region: Tasmania

Postby Kristin » Sun 29 May, 2016 9:52 pm

Aushiker - why do you have reservations using this as a plb? I thought that the sos messages go to the same authorities?
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Aushiker » Sun 29 May, 2016 10:38 pm

Kristin wrote:Aushiker - why do you have reservations using this as a plb? I thought that the sos messages go to the same authorities?

Yes they end up at the same authority, well you hope so with the inReach system, in our case the Australian Marine Safety Authority. It is the getting there that is my biggest concern. With a PLB the process is outline here. The inReach process is outlined here. InReach rely on the one network, the Iridium network (phone network IIRC) and an appropriate response out of the USA whereas the AMSA system is based on a dedicated search and rescue network, Cospas-Sarsat and is a local response.

Just sending a non-emergency text can be a hassle at times in terms of reliability as can be the tracking (it is okay but can be a bit hit and miss at times). Not sure I wish to rely on this 100%, YMMV of course.
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby neilmny » Mon 30 May, 2016 7:51 am

Something else to keep in mind about "I'm OK messages" If they don't get out they can cause a lot of confusion and possibly triggering of an unnecessary rescue event.
There is an account somewhere on bushwalks about a SPOT being lost in NZ. A rescue event being averted by the owner, when realising the SPOT was lost, by bolting out of the bush to where he could contact home and call a rescue off. According to the account the helicopter was warming up for take off.
I own and would only use a PLB registered with AMSA. I always tell my family I will send a message (by phone) when I can but not to take a lack of message as a bad sign as that is what the PLB is for.
These are of course personal preferences but clear communication is vital in an actual life threatening emergency situation.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby photohiker » Mon 30 May, 2016 8:03 am

A couple of points.

I have had an InReach since release, used it in most states of Aus, as well as the UK, Sweden, France.

InReach operates on the Iridium satellite network. That is not a 'phone network' it is arguably the best coverage satellite network available.

Sending a non-emergency message on the InReach is as simple as pressing a button on the device. You can also send a custom message via your phone. I don't regard that as a hassle, it is a convenience.

I have found tracking to be very reliable.

There is a difference in the process of emergency response between InReach and PLB, but both have a history of working well.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Mon 30 May, 2016 10:35 am

photohiker wrote:InReach operates on the Iridium satellite network. That is not a 'phone network' it is arguably the best coverage satellite network available.

The Iridium satellite constellation is a satellite constellation providing voice and data coverage to satellite phones, pagers and integrated transceivers over the Earth's entire surface. Iridium Communications owns and operates the constellation and sells equipment and access to its services. It was originally conceived by Bary Bertiger, Ray Leopold and Ken Peterson in late 1987 (and protected by patents by Motorola in their names in 1988) and then developed by Motorola on a fixed-price contract from July 29, 1993 to November 1, 1998 when the system became operational and commercially available.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_s ... stellation

Powered by a uniquely sophisticated global constellation of 66 cross-linked Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellites, the Iridium® network provides high-quality voice and data connections over the planet’s entire surface, including across oceans, airways and polar regions.

Source: https://www.iridium.com/network/globalnetwork
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby photohiker » Mon 30 May, 2016 1:48 pm

Correct. It is a Satellite network, not a general phone network.

You did declare "phone network IIRC" which required correction.

Yes, you can use a satellite phone on a satellite phone compatible network.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Mon 30 May, 2016 2:20 pm

photohiker wrote:Correct. It is a Satellite network, not a general phone network.

You did declare "phone network IIRC" which required correction.

Yes, you can use a satellite phone on a satellite phone compatible network.

:roll:
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Kristin » Mon 30 May, 2016 3:14 pm

Photohiker - have you used the unit for navigation? I note that they talk about Nth America topo maps, but obviously that isn't so helpful here in Oz.
Kristin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby photohiker » Mon 30 May, 2016 6:06 pm

Kristin wrote:Photohiker - have you used the unit for navigation? I note that they talk about Nth America topo maps, but obviously that isn't so helpful here in Oz.

Hi Kristin,

No, I have only used it for logging my walks and comms with friends and family. Delorme allows you to download mapping (for the phone, not the InReach 1.5) for the area you are walking and I have done that for regions I walk as a backup for my maps and GPS, but never had to use it yet. My gps mapping is a lot better than what is offered for Australia from Delorme to date.

Using your InReach + phone for navigation adds more issues than it solves IMO. I think if I were wanting to use an InReach for navigation, I'd move to the new version with the mapping on the InReach Explorer. The screen area of the InReach Explorer doesn't match current GPS devices though. In due course, it will probably improve because Garmin (the main GPS device maker) has purchased Delorme who makes the InReach. http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases/garmin.htm

Give them a year or so to assimilate and we should see good GPS devices with InReach capability.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 30 May, 2016 8:19 pm

Great news on Garmin's acquisition of Delorme!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble