etrex 20x

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

etrex 20x

Postby bumper » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 7:48 pm

I have to replace my lost etrex20.
Was just wondering if there is someone who has an etrex 20x.
Could they tell me if its worth the extra money?
Cheers

If someone finds a etrex 20 at the bottom of Black canyon, Lamington National Park
could you please pm me. :( Thanks
bumper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: etrex 20x

Postby keithy » Mon 25 Jan, 2016 11:37 pm

That's a shame losing your eTrex.

I've looked at both the eTrex 20 and 20x, I don't think the extra resolution and 2Gb onboard memory justifies the $60-$100 extra. The processor and GPS chipset have not changed significantly.

However, you might be hard pressed to find a place that has it in stock since the 20 is officially discontinued.

If you do get another eTrex, I recommend using a lanyard through the lanyard attachement slot at the bottom of the unit, even if you are using it with a case, or the belt clip (like I do). I usually have the secondary contact point to my pack strap like this picture even if using with the belt clip. I've dropped my GPS units before.

IMG_20160125_235829.jpg
IMG_20160125_235829.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 3882 times

Also, if you get another Garmin you should modify the startup.txt file on the unit, so if anyone finds it and puts new batteries in, you can get it to say something like:

If Found Please Contact
Name
Mobile Phone
Email
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble