Garmin etrex 20/30 or 60/62/64 series (or others)

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby Osik » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 12:43 pm

Afternoon all

My apologies in advance for another GPS thread.

As I'm increasingly walking off track I'm finally considering picking up a GPS. Will continue to primarily use compass & map, however thinking a GPS could be particularly handy when clagged out, or checking critical bearings in difficult/remote terrain.

Would like the following:
- topographical maps (accurate & ideally pre-loaded)
- colour
- good signal under tree canopy/snow-windy-rainy clag
- easy to use tracking/locating interface
- + anything else people see as useful!

I'm not really interested in building a huge database of waypoint features/saved gps tracks etc.

Having read previous posts on this forum, it would seem either the garmin etrex or 60 series are the way to go. From what I can see the main difference is that the external antennae on the 60 series provides better coverage while the etrex series are a little lighter and the batteries last longer.

From what I can see, with the preloaded maps I'm looking at around $450+ for the 64ST and around $350+ for etrex 20/30 with maps. If there's a cheaper source, please point me in that direction!

In terms of use, longer trips over the next couple of years are likely to include Eldons, Spires, Denison, Du-cane, Cheyne range etc. With most trips being weekends up in the Walls/the Reserve or down the West Coast.

Would be great to hear people's thoughts (or alternative suggestions if I'm missing something).

Thanks!
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Garmin etrex 20/30 or 60/62/64 series (or others)

Postby Strider » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 1:08 pm

I just walked the OLT with my Etrex 20. Obviously didnt need any navigation but for my first time on the track it was handy to keep tabs on where i was relative to the next hut etc. It's a nice small unit that goes pretty much unnoticed clipped go a sternum strap. I use OSM maps which are are free and available online.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby keithy » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 6:32 pm

There's a few previous specific threads on the 64s and the eTrex 20/30 series.

A few things to consider:

• Don't get hung up on the external vs internal antenna. It may have been an issue in the past, but the quality of the ceramic patch antennas in new internal antenna units are significantly better than the older ones, and from my testing, there is little real world difference in time to first fix with the newer models with internal antennas compared with the protruding quad helix antenna.
  • Try out the different GPS types before making your mind. The GPSMAP 6x series is larger, but has multiple buttons for navigation and data input. The eTrex relies primarily on the joystick to navigate and input with some buttons on the side for scrolling/menu/back/power. This makes a difference for some people. I don't have issue with the joystick to navigate, but it is considerably slower than using a touchscreen model for data input and navigation. If your budget stretches, have a look at the touchscreen models.
  • The 64s has a faster processor than the eTrex however, making screen redraws and map navigation quicker. The eTrex is ok at this, and won't have issue keeping up while you are walking/moving, but it is slow when you zoom out or pan across maps. In comparision the 64s is quicker. If you move to a newer touch screen model, they have quicker processors again, and less lag in moving around the screen. The downside is that the touch screen models are quite a bit more expensive. Here is a video showing the difference in speed between the 64s and eTrex 30x

• The newer eTrex 20x/30x is an upgrade mainly in the screen display and onboard memory. It appears they have kept a similar processor and GPS chipset as the previous eTrex 20/30. Here is the video comparing the eTrex 30 and 30x side by side - there is little difference in the processing speeds

• If you don't need the extra barometric altimeter/electronic compass and ANT+ connectivity of the eTrex 30 model, the eTrex 20 will suffice.
  • You do not necessarily need to buy the models with Garmin Topo built in. Sometimes it can work out cheaper to buy the Garmin Topo separately or use free OSM topo maps instead. Here is a set of OSM maps with topo contours that andrewp put together. The latest version is in his post here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14234&start=150#p268841 I've not tried out the QLD maps but the VIC/Tas maps are great.

To summarise, the eTrex series is great for size, weight and battery life. The 64s is quicker than the eTrex 20/30/20x/30x but is a bulkier unit. The newer touch screen eTrex series the eTrex 25/35 is quite zippy, and has a similar size/weight of the older eTrex, but shorter battery life, and IMHO is too priced too high for what it has. I also have the Oregon 600, and love it as a touch screen model, but it is more expensive than the eTrex 20, is heavier, and has a shorter battery life.

And to round it out, Magellan have a promo until the end of the year on some of their models, that offer a free state based topo maps on redemption. The magellans have been on sale a few times like I posted here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20903. Details on the free topo maps are in that thread as well. The Explorist 310 is $100 and the explorist 610 is $199 at mountain designs now, and around $138 for the explorist 310 at jbhifi at the moment. But the explorist 310 is a little slower than the eTrex 20 in screen redraws, and I would caution to read reviews on the unit first. Not used the 610 but I think there are others here who have.
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby Osik » Sun 04 Oct, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks Strider & Keithy.

I'd read a few of the forum discussions on the various units but had been a bit overawed by the discussions on OSM & other free mapping topics. Having taken the time to read through some of those topics in detail, I'm feeling a lot more confident about using OSM (which appears to be more accurate in any event!). Looks like some fantastic work has been done by various forum members.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the etrex 20x, especially if there is not a huge difference between internal & external antennae. I can live with a slightly longer processing time as I'm not expecting the GPS to replace the map & compass (except perhaps in clagged out conditions). I like the idea of a slightly improved screen dispay.

Having read some of the Magellan reviews for equivalent units, I'll probably stick with the Garmin's at this stage. Keithy, thanks in particular for the great summary of various issues and considerations.
Osik
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Defender110 » Mon 09 Nov, 2015 9:01 am

Strider wrote:I just walked the OLT with my Etrex 20. Obviously didnt need any navigation but for my first time on the track it was handy to keep tabs on where i was relative to the next hut etc. It's a nice small unit that goes pretty much unnoticed clipped go a sternum strap. I use OSM maps which are are free and available online.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

OSM maps are generally good but from my experience doing a fair amount of 4wd travel, there are lots of tracks not on OSM, especially link tracks. I use my iPhone and don't have a handheld gps but I am in the same boat as the OP.

BTW I also use paper maps from Vicmap which are great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Defender110
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 09 Nov, 2015 9:15 am

Defender110 wrote:OSM maps are generally good but from my experience doing a fair amount of 4wd travel, there are lots of tracks not on OSM, especially link tracks. I use my iPhone and don't have a handheld gps but I am in the same boat as the OP.

OSM is a community project and is only as good as people's willingness to contribute. As a result, the more travelled tracks are more likely to be in and up to date, then it's pot luck depending on whether someone took an interest in a particular area. Given how long OSM has been around, it's largely pretty good.

If you are a user and have found missing tracks, it's nice to give something back to that community by entering a few data points. All pretty easy.

On GPS choice, I am on the same page as Keithy. eTrex series for compactness while Oregon for larger touch screen ease of use. Oregon for me these days.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Defender110 » Sun 15 Nov, 2015 7:11 am

Ok next time I will record the entire trip and try make notes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Defender110
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Techno-Babble