Water Filter: what's your favourite and why?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby Zone-5 » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 3:41 pm

Got this given to me because the 'chiller' part (fan) had stopped working or so they said. So I took it apart and found that the so called 'chiller' was nothing but a big CPU fan blowing on a big CPU heat sink attached to another reservoir of water hidden below the main visible blue tank!
There was no refrigeration system at all, just a big CPU fan! :roll: :lol: :oops: :x

FIX: found a product review that showed me how to remove the mechs and electronics and then very simply run a poly pipe directly from the main blue tank straight to the outlet tap, done. A quick wash with a sterilising solution, new Brita Maxtra filter from Coles, a quick polish with Mr Sheen and hey presto this beauty has been delivering Room temperature 100% filtered water ever since!

It instantly solved my issues with bad tasting water in my AntiDote bladder in my CamelBak Lobo, brilliant stuff now! 8)
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19866

Highly recommend this product after the mods... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Re: Water Filter: what's your favourite and why?

Postby Zone-5 » Fri 05 Jun, 2015 4:18 pm

Before we had the big Blue reservoir filter (above) the ladies used the 600ml Brita Fill&Go filtered bottles (below)...

...now they get it super filtered both from the big Blue tank and then again into the Brita bottles for their walks not requiring a CamelBak.

8)
Zone-5

Postby Supertramp » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 6:51 pm

I have and love the: Renovo Trio water filter.
http://www.renovowater.com/products/renovo-trio

I like it because it has an excellent micron rating (better than most), an activated carbon filter and is able to be used in many different ways, plus it has replacement parts & cost's about $50.
Supertramp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby McGinnis » Wed 08 Jul, 2015 11:08 pm

Just out of interest, where are you living that you need/want to filter water? I'm in Sydney and it's a pointless exercise here, though in other areas I could understand it.
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Wed 08 Jul, 2015 11:23 pm

McGinnis wrote:Just out of interest, where are you living that you need/want to filter water? I'm in Sydney and it's a pointless exercise here, though in other areas I could understand it.

The great outdoors.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby McGinnis » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 12:38 am

Strider wrote:
McGinnis wrote:Just out of interest, where are you living that you need/want to filter water? I'm in Sydney and it's a pointless exercise here, though in other areas I could understand it.

The great outdoors.

Not sure a Sunbeam will help you there. :)

(For the sake of clarity, I was referring to the kitchen-style filters Zone5 linked. In the bush I use a Sawyer mini... for better or worse).
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Strider » Thu 09 Jul, 2015 8:18 am

They remove the chlorine taste from tap water.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 8:34 pm

McGinnis wrote:I'm in Sydney and it's a pointless exercise here.

Sydney (Eastern) has a ongoing water problem with cysts of crytosporidium and Giardia. I know as I got quite sick from drinking the tap water when I lived there!

The Brita filters reduce the amount of chlorine in the water, reduces copper by 88%, reduces mercury by 91%, reduces 99.99% of cysts (crytosporidium and Giardia), and reduces lead by 97%. Combines activated carbon to remove colloidal suspensions, bad taste, scale and odor with an ion exchange resin is used in the further reduction of lead and copper ions. It also significantly reduces pesticides (lindane, atrazine, and 2,4-D), fertilizers, hormones and other chemicals directly linked to an increased cancer risk (benzene, TTHMs, and toxaphene).

"Less is more" when it comes to my preferred drinking water... :wink:
Zone-5

Postby corvus » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 9:41 pm

Zone-5 wrote:

Sydney (Eastern) has a ongoing water problem with cysts of crytosporidium and Giardia. I know as I got quite sick from drinking the tap water when I lived there!

The Brita filters reduce the amount of chlorine in the water, reduces copper by 88%, reduces mercury by 91%, reduces 99.99% of cysts (crytosporidium and Giardia), and reduces lead by 97%. Combines activated carbon to remove colloidal suspensions, bad taste, scale and odor with an ion exchange resin is used in the further reduction of lead and copper ions. It also significantly reduces pesticides (lindane, atrazine, and 2,4-D), fertilizers, hormones and other chemicals directly linked to an increased cancer risk (benzene, TTHMs, and toxaphene).

"Less is more" when it comes to my preferred drinking water... :wink:

Big statement !! of the hundreds and thousands who drink this water unfiltered I wonder how many are getting sick,me thinks you are scare mongering and or are a representative for Brita Filters ??
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby McGinnis » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 10:09 pm

Zone-5 wrote:

I don't know where you got that information, but it's just wrong. No part of Sydney has any issue with crypto, giardia, E. coli or any other pathogen.

You probably got sick from eating dodgy food. It wasn't the water, though.

If you don't believe me, check Sydney Water's website for water quality testing results, and NSW Health's website for boiled water alerts and incident reports.
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:13 am

corvus wrote:me thinks you are scare mongering and or are a representative for Brita Filters ??

...of the several thousand news articles and NSW parliamentary reports on Giardia contamination of the Sydney water supply over the past decade, I'll let you catch up with it all in your own time. :roll:

------------------

Google searches related to Giardia - sydney - water

https://www.google.com/search?q=Giardia ... dney+water

- 1998 sydney water crisis
- 1998 outbreak of cryptosporidium and giardia in sydney’s water supply
- sources of contamination of water in sydney
- giardia sydney 2012
- giardia sydney 2013
- giardia sydney 2014
- giardia sydney 2015
- warragamba cryptosporidium giardia

http://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... r_1998.pdf
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/p ... /16-98.pdf

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 7348311922
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 1113844198
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Sydney_water_crisis

https://www.google.com/search?q=Giardia ... dney+water

------------------

I lived in Sydney for over a decade and I got sick from Giardia twice from the tap water and it took me months to get over it; never again...

:P
Last edited by Zone-5 on Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zone-5

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 12:33 am

McGinnis wrote:I don't know where you got that information, but it's just wrong. No part of Sydney has any issue with crypto, giardia, E. coli or any other pathogen.

...are you sure about that? :oops:

May 9, 2015 11:30pm
LINDA SILMALIS The Sunday Telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 7348311922

During the year to March 2015, both cryptosporidium and giarda cysts had been found in Sydney water, the report said...

The cysts had mainly been found in raw water sources managed by Water NSW which supply the Prospect Water Filtration Plant in Sydney’s west and the Richmond Water Filtration Plan in the northwest.

The report said a single cryptosporidium occyst had also been detected on two separate occasions on October 1 and again on October 2 last year.

The occyst was found in a 100 litre sample taken from the North Richmond plant, with Sydney Water immediately notifying NSW Heath, it said.

The report said Sydney Water investigated treatment performance while also undertaking re-sampling of the plant water.

With no further cryptosporidium occysts or giardia cysts were detected during the follow-up tests, NSW Health had advised the detections were “unlikely” to have affected public health, the report said.

“Cryptosporidium occyst was detected on two separate occasions,” it said.

“On each occasion, Sydney Water notified NSW Health immediately, investigated treatment performance and undertook re-sampling.

Ramped up treatment

“Based on an assessment of all relevant risk factors associated with these events, NSW Health advised that these events were unlikely to have affected public health.”

From July to September 1998, Sydney siders were banned from drinking tap water without boiling it first after high concentrations of Cryptosporidium and Giardia were detected in both Sydney Water supply and distribution systems.

Three boil-water advisories were issued to more than three-million people, with an inquiry resulting in Sydney Water dramatically ramping up its water quality testing regimes.

A series of investigations into the cause of the contamination blamed a series of rainfall events for flood-waterborne Cryptosporidium and Giardia short-circuited the storage reservoir and entering the treatment plant.

Both parasites can be deadly to young children and the elderly, triggering a bowel infection which can result in gastroenteritis.

A Sydney Water spokesman said the agency took the provision of safe drinking water “very seriously”.

“Sydney Water’s filtration system has operated exceptionally well over the past few weeks of heavy rain and has continued to deliver high quality drinking water that has met the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines — some of the most stringent in the world,” he said.

“Our water treatment plants operate under strict filtration targets designed to remove pathogens, particles and colour.

“We continually monitor the performance of our filtration plants to ensure they are delivering high quality drinking water regardless of changes to the water they receive.”

McGinnis wrote:I don't know where you got that information, but it's just wrong. No part of Sydney has any issue with crypto, giardia, E. coli or any other pathogen.

1998 outbreak of cryptosporidium and giardia in Sydney’s water supply

Check out the map on the news article (front page) for the affected area.
Pretty well covers the whole metro area!

:oops:

Google search: giardia sydney 2015
https://www.google.com/search?q=giardia ... ydney+2015
About 862,000 results (0.21 seconds)
Zone-5

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 1:24 am

...just to make sure we are clear!

Does the BRITA Filter remove bacteria from the water?

BRITA water filters do remove microbiological cysts as small as 3 to 4 microns in size, including cryptosporidium and giardia, by mechanical or “barrier” means. Designed with pore sizes smaller than these cysts, BRITA water filters act as a barrier and prevent the cysts from passing through the filter.

http://www.brita-water-filters.com

8)
Zone-5

Postby McGinnis » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 1:40 am

An event 17 years ago is all you've got? An event in which there were no confirmed cases of cryptosporidiosis or giardiasis? It was a "crisis" of publicity. CG levels were overstated, and reactions were knee-jerk.

Your own links discredit your statements if you actually read them; by the way referencing The Daily Telegraph does you no credit.

The occyst was found in a 100 litre sample taken from the North Richmond plant, with Sydney Water immediately notifying NSW Heath, it said.

Yes, it's a good thing NSW Heath was notified about the occyst. I'm quite sure the telegraph doesn't actually research their articles, considering they clearly don't proofread them.
By the way, that detection event was in raw water - prior to treatment. Your second telegraph link also references untreated water. There are lots of things in untreated water that you wouldn't want to drink - that's why it gets treated.

Show me one confirmed case of cryptosporidiosis or giardiasis resulting from drinking Sydney's tap water.

I'm sorry you got sick eating bad takeaway, poorly cooked chicken, or by failing at basic hygiene; but don't fear-monger.

I'm also not against water filters - if I lived in Melbourne, or somewhere outside Sydney, I'd probably use one too. In Sydney, however, it's completely unnecessary (and a potential source of contamination).
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 2:18 am

McGinnis wrote:An event 17 years ago is all you've got? An event in which there were no confirmed cases of cryptosporidiosis or giardiasis? It was a "crisis" of publicity. CG levels were overstated, and reactions were knee-jerk.

Show me one confirmed case of cryptosporidiosis or giardiasis resulting from drinking Sydney's tap water.

Me! I got it twice. The second time required a hospital stay. Giardia is no holiday sonny! :x

:roll:
Last edited by Zone-5 on Sun 16 Aug, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zone-5

Postby McGinnis » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 2:25 am

That's nice, but what exactly is your point?
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 7:51 pm

McGinnis wrote:That's nice, but what exactly is your point?

This...

wayno wrote:start your own thread if you want to lecture people...

:wink:
Zone-5

Postby GRLillistone » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 8:22 pm

I always carry a Millbank filter with me and prefer that over any other filter as it is not plastic, mechanical or battery-powered and is therefore not at risk of moving parts breaking while out bush. On the contrary, I can use it as often as I want for as long as I want. In fact, it will probably outlast me.
Millbank filters are a reliable, small, lightweight and unbreakable filter that I can't recommend highly enough.
GRLillistone
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 8:28 pm

GRLillistone wrote:I always carry a Millbank filter with me and prefer that over any other filter as it is not plastic, mechanical or battery-powered and is therefore not at risk of moving parts breaking while out bush.

Image Image

...never knew of this, thanks!
I'll get one on this advice... :)
Zone-5

Postby McGinnis » Sun 16 Aug, 2015 11:38 pm

Zone-5 wrote:
McGinnis wrote:That's nice, but what exactly is your point?

This...

wayno wrote:start your own thread if you want to lecture people...

:wink:

Sorry mate, but I'll dispel ignorance wherever I find it.

It's also poor etiquette to quote somebody out of context.
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 12:46 am

McGinnis wrote:Sorry mate, but I'll dispel ignorance wherever I find it.

It's also poor etiquette to quote somebody out of context.

Dude, I find you insulting, arrogant and abusive!

I have placed you on my FOE list - permanently!

goodbye!

---------------------

You probably got sick from eating dodgy food. It wasn't the water, though.

If you don't believe me, check Sydney Water's website for water quality testing results, and NSW Health's website for boiled water alerts and incident reports.

McGinnis wrote:An event 17 years ago is all you've got? An event in which there were no confirmed cases of cryptosporidiosis or giardiasis? It was a "crisis" of publicity. CG levels were overstated, and reactions were knee-jerk.

Reality check: "Routine testing found persistently high readings of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in the water supply."

ABSTRACT: This paper traces the history of the contamination of Sydney's water supply between July and September 1998, its impact and consequences. Routine testing found persistently high readings of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in the water supply. After initial official inactivity, health warnings were issued leading to comprehensive boil water alerts. The paper examines the issues of scientific uncertainty and the response of the Government to the crisis. In particular, the paper examines the establishment and course of the Sydney Water Inquiry, chaired by Peter McClellan, QC, which delivered its final report in December 1998. The recommendations of the Inquiry are assessed, in particular the establishment of an independent catchment management authority, augmentation of treatment processes, and upgraded monitoring and research. Implementation of the recommendations by the Government by legislative and executive act is also addressed. Finally, the lessons to be learned are discussed, especially care of the catchment and restrictions on certain types of development within it.

References:
Cooperative Research Centre for Water Quality and Treatment: 1999, March, Health Stream 13, Melbourne, Australia.
Department of Urban Affairs and Planning,: 1998, December 24, State Environmental Planning Policy No 58-Protecting Sydney's Water Supply, Government Gazette No 178, 24.
Getches, D.H.:1997, Sectoral Conflicts over Water: Resolving tensions among Agricultural, Municipal and Industrial and Ecological Demands, Paper presented to Rosenberg International Forum on Water Policy, San Francisco.
McClellan, P.: 1998, December, Sydney Water Inquiry-Final Report (2 volumes).
National Audubon Society v Superior Court of Alpine County: 1983, 189 Cal Rptr 346 at 356 Sydney Water Catchment Management Act: 1998 (NSW).

http://link.springer.com/article/10.102 ... 5255202854

Last edited by Zone-5 on Tue 18 Aug, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Zone-5

Postby McGinnis » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 12:48 am

GRLillistone wrote:I always carry a Millbank filter with me and prefer that over any other filter as it is not plastic, mechanical or battery-powered and is therefore not at risk of moving parts breaking while out bush. On the contrary, I can use it as often as I want for as long as I want. In fact, it will probably outlast me.
Millbank filters are a reliable, small, lightweight and unbreakable filter that I can't recommend highly enough.

Millbank filters are great for removing sediment, but do note they will not remove pathogens. Millbank-filtered water should still be treated (depending on the source).
McGinnis
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 8:19 am

On the Sydney water quality issue, I too have heard from GP circles that there are runs of giardia infections up on the northern beaches, typically following a major deluge. But that was some 20 years ago and not clear if it's related to Sydney Water's quality control or contamination from the environment locally. It's easy to blame Sydney Water and it was not in the Eastern and the Inner Western suburbs.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 4:17 pm

That said; I lived in Sydney (south head area) in 1998, got real sick, went to hospital, diagnosed Giardia, told not to drink tap water, recovered, bought a water filter (Brita), still don't drink unfiltered tap water (anywhere), a lesson hard learned! Won't discuss it anymore here, cheers... ;)
Zone-5

Postby GRLillistone » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 5:55 pm

McGinnis wrote:Millbank filters are great for removing sediment, but do note they will not remove pathogens. Millbank-filtered water should still be treated (depending on the source).

Yeah filters only filter water - they don't purify it. Of course you boil it after you filter it.
GRLillistone
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby Zone-5 » Thu 27 Aug, 2015 7:26 pm

Cryptosporidium; its impact, consequences and symptoms.

"while doing my postgrad, I hadn't read, listened or watched any news for weeks! Yep, I drank the water...

Routine testing of Sydney's water supply between July and September 1998 found persistently high readings of Cryptosporidium and Giardia in the water supply. After initial official inactivity, health warnings were issued leading to comprehensive boil water alerts for the entire metro area.

...ever since I have only ever drank bottled or filtered water! QED

Last edited by Zone-5 on Thu 27 Aug, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zone-5

Postby icefest » Thu 27 Aug, 2015 9:44 pm

Zone-5 wrote:Cryptosporidium; its impact, consequences and symptoms.

"while doing my postgrad, I hadn't read, listened or watched any news for weeks! Yep, I drank the water...

Routine testing of Sydney's water supply between July and September 1998 found persistently high readings of Cryptographic and Giardia in the water supply. After initial official inactivity, health warnings were issued leading to comprehensive boil water alerts for the entire metro area.

What are you quoting? I'm not sure I'd trust your source if they report Cryptographic in the water supply.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zone-5 » Thu 27 Aug, 2015 11:52 pm

:lol: Thanks for that, damn auto correct hits me again.
Although this bug did hit me up for $300 in medical costs!!! :oops:
Zone-5

Postby LachlanB » Fri 28 Aug, 2015 2:11 pm

From what I understand of it, the 1998 problems were a result of a once off contamination of the water distribution infrastructure.
Sydney's water supply is full of all kinds of nasty gunk, you don't want to go drinking directly from Lake Burragorang. That's why Sydney Water treat the hell out of it before distributing it. Sydney Water's contaminant levels are actually really, really low after treatment. Failures of the supply and distribution system do happen, but they're really, really rare, and Sydney's tap water is really, really good by any standards.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble