Flying with external battery packs

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Flying with external battery packs

Postby Watertank » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 10:44 pm

There are a few external battery packs for iPad and iPhones in the 6000mah and 10,000 mah range. Assuming that they are lithium batteries can I take the on flights in hand luggage? IATA has directions on the topic see http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/ ... rFlyer.jpg
But I ca to work out whether the external battery packs would be above or below the 100wh limit.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Flying with external battery packs

Postby Strider » Wed 19 Nov, 2014 10:46 pm

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 7:14 am

Just multiply the storage capacity by the voltage of the batteries (usually 3.7v). (Watts = Volts x Amps) so 10,000mAh = 10Ah x 3.7v = 37wh.

Note that I used 3.7v which is the rated voltage of the cells in the battery pack, not 5v which is the output voltage after some electronic magic. As I understand it most battery packs tell you the capacity of the batteries at the rated full charge voltage, not the 3.7/5 x 10,000mAh x 95% (5% loss on boost to 5 volts) = 7,030mAh @ 5 volts.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Watertank » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks for the advice and the links. The battery packs don't appear to tell me what the voltage is but I suppose they are unlikely to such that the 100wh limit is reached.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Gadgetgeek » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 9:54 am

Its also unlikly that the guy at the gate will know or care, so long as they look standard and are not super huge.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Ellobuddha » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 2:55 pm

I have recently done a trip and went on about 9 different flights (int and dom) with a Anker 20000mah battery pack in hand luggage with no problems at all. Asked what is was a. View times. No issues.
Ellobuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Techno-Babble