Sensor Cleaning- 50% off, Fast Turnaround!

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby wildlight » Mon 22 Sep, 2014 11:05 pm

Just a bit of a shout out- although some of us clean our camera sensors ourselves, there's a special on at Camera Clinic until the end of October 2014. It's 50% off for sensor cleaning. It's worth considering- I get mine done a few times a year, because they go right through the body with a wet swab, and get rid of all the fiddly fluff we never have time to do.

They also do firmware updates and the like- as well as repairs and servicing of just about anything to do with photography. I've been a client of this family business for over 35 years, and they've resurrected gear I was going to slam with a hammer, thinking it was beyond help. Their http://www.cameraclinic.com.au website has info on how to get your gear to them, and all they ask for the massive discount, is a "like" on Facebook. Their number is 03 9419 5247.

Cheers

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Sensor Cleaning- 50% off, Fast Turnaround!

Postby wayno » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 6:18 am

shouldnt that post be in market place forum?
you can buy sensor cleaning kits and do it yourself.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 6:48 am

wildlight wrote:It's 50% off for sensor cleaning. It's worth considering- I get mine done a few times a year...

A few times a year? Are you a pro or what? What's the price? What's so difficult with firmware updates?

Yep, market place post.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby photohiker » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 7:30 am

At $77 normal price, no wonder they can afford to do a half price special...
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 7:41 am

take the lens off, use a swab on a stick with cleaning solution applied from a cleaning kit, and wipe the sensor, put the lens back on...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 12:45 pm

wildlight wrote:Just a bit of a shout out- although some of us clean our camera sensors ourselves, there's a special on at Camera Clinic until the end of October 2014. It's 50% off for sensor cleaning. It's worth considering- I get mine done a few times a year, because they go right through the body with a wet swab, and get rid of all the fiddly fluff we never have time to do.

They also do firmware updates and the like- as well as repairs and servicing of just about anything to do with photography. I've been a client of this family business for over 35 years, and they've resurrected gear I was going to slam with a hammer, thinking it was beyond help. Their http://www.cameraclinic.com.au website has info on how to get your gear to them, and all they ask for the massive discount, is a "like" on Facebook. Their number is 03 9419 5247.

Cheers

WildLight

Interested in the info even if I am not on the book.
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 12:52 pm

upgrading firmware is a user friendly process. camera manufacturers issue instructions on carrying it out. and often have software applications that will do the upgrade, you shouldn't have to pay someone else to do it, likewise with sensor cleaning unless you have shakey hands.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 1:00 pm

On Nikons, it's simply dragging a copy of the new firmware file onto the camera's SD card and then execute the update request in the camera's settings. No special softwares on the computer side.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 1:07 pm

the only potential problem with firmware updates is if you turn the camera off in the middle of it, thats a big no no... just leave it and let it complete the operation...
firmware upsates are seldom critical, so its not something that necessarily has to be done, but the update may offer some improvement in camera function or performance.. or iron out an issue with the camera functions
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Tue 23 Sep, 2014 1:11 pm

Useful info. Had the problem to find a camera clinic.
dplanet

Region: Victoria

Postby wildlight » Wed 24 Sep, 2014 9:31 am

I like how it's more than a sensor clean- they get into all the nooks and crannies of the body. I do my own sensor cleans almost weekly- but they are sensor cleans and only that. Anytime I try to go further than a sensor clean- and by that I mean inside the dust-prone areas of the body- where the next offending piece of dust lies in wait- I always seem to get interrupted. So I rotate my cameras- when one goes in for a clean, I work with another, and keep a third as a spare.

Of course I realise how easy it is to do- but when you work with the gear day in, day out- it's nice to have someone else do something for you occasionally.

Sensor cleaning is straightforward- but I would imagine not everybody on this forum would want to do their own. And the reasons for that would vary with the individual. Like I said- "the fiddly fluff"- the dust within the body that hasn't hit the sensor "yet"- is the stuff they get rid of, too. And that's what seems to take so much more time than just doing the sensor.

I think of it like valet parking- of course we can all park our car- but there's a certain joy in having someone else do that for you sometimes.

Yes, firmware updates are easy- in the days of kodak DCS I was updating the firmware around every six weeks- from "Italian Flag" to over saturated JPG files, inability to recognise a memory card over 2GB in size, ISO changes- and long exposure noise reduction, the 14n suffered horrendously. There was always a patch downloadable from the DCS site, which was copied to the card, then updated through the menu.

Like I said before- for those who like sitting back and letting someone else do something for them, the service is there should they wish to take advantage of it.

Go see 'em dplanet- thanks for your comments.
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 26 Sep, 2014 10:08 am

Camera Clinic are a great mob, although I've not used this particular service for my DSLRs. All the underwater photo gear went to them regularly for cleaning, service and repairs. Wish I could afford to send the current gear in . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Return to Techno-Babble