Ummm... Apple Watch (iPhone 6). Tempting

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 9:22 am

So the Apple 'Watch' has been announced with various environmental, biological sensors and navigational features. Tasty and tempting. Not available till early 2015 though. In the meantime, iPhone 6 has battery rating going up to 250hrs standby and a new barometer. Pretty handy.

http://www.apple.com/watch/overview/
Last edited by GPSGuided on Wed 10 Sep, 2014 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ummm... Apple Watch (iPhone 6). Tempting

Postby Strider » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 9:26 am

Still not a Samsung!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 9:28 am

Strider wrote:Still not a Samsung!

Well, have to wait 6-12mths for Samsung to bring out a me-too that's still not close in quality. :P
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 9:32 am

GPSGuided wrote:
Strider wrote:Still not a Samsung!

Well, have to wait 6-12mths for Samsung to bring out a me-too that's still not close in quality. :P

What!? The iPhone 6 is equivalent to Galaxies of two-three generations ago!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Davidf61 » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 9:46 am

We are Android. Resistance is futile......
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 9:54 am

You poor Android lovers! :P

Come'on guys, how about leave all that Android stuff alone in this thread? iPhone 6/Watch looks to be a significant step for the Apple users on this forum and would likely to offer some major functionality benefits for bushwalking and other outdoors activities. May even lead the smartphone and wearable electronics industry in a new direction, to everyone's benefit. Further discuss.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:07 am

I agree the watch does look tempting. Id need to see and play with one in the flesh first because it may be too small and fiddly for me to get a real benefit out of it.
My wife uses one of those garmin fitness bands so she is kicking herself for buying one of those now that she has seen the watch lol

As for the new iPhone 6, from a diehard apple convert (apple mac at home, iPhones, iPads, apple tv etc) I am disappointing with the new phone. We were holding off upgrading so we could get a better camera and waterproof phone but sadly the new iPhone 6 hasn't delivered. But looking back in time its typical of apple to leave big tickets items out of a release so they can get more sales when they do the iPhone 6S that will no doubt have the new camera :(
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 10:44 am

The Watch comes in 2 face sizes. Yes, I also would like to try the real item. Hard to make a choice otherwise. But that'll be next year.

I understand that the camera has improved. Not sure which aspect you were thinking? Zoom? As for waterproofing, I think we'll need to wait a few more days to see what changes they made on that front. Not a diver's phone but strongly suspect they've made improvements on that front. For real waterproofing, a dedicated case is called for.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:01 am

GPSGuided wrote:The Watch comes in 2 face sizes. Yes, I also would like to try the real item. Hard to make a choice otherwise. But that'll be next year.

I understand that the camera has improved. Not sure which aspect you were thinking? Zoom? As for waterproofing, I think we'll need to wait a few more days to see what changes they made on that front. Not a diver's phone but strongly suspect they've made improvements on that front. For real waterproofing, a dedicated case is called for.

Yes the camera has some new features but I'm pretty sure its still the basis of the 8mp thats in the iPhone 4s and 5. We use life proof cases on our iPhones but they are bulky, heavy and they interfere with the camera and speaker quality. We were looking forward to the actual phone being waterproof so we could do away with the life proof style cases and just use a smaller cover.

Anyway, ill reserve my judgement until I go and see one and find out more about them. Like I said, I am an apple fan, not a hater, so I am not knocking them just disappointed based on my expectations. They were once the innovators and leaders, now they seem to be more of a follower which is a shame.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:41 am

Guess iPhone 6 has not met your specific needs and waterproofing foremost on your list. I'm pretty excited actually, especially the barometer (altimeter) and extended battery life, especially the 6Plus. Not sure that's what I'll go for, but that 6" screen will be very nice for mobile mapping. Suspect I'll still settle with the standard 6, so thin!

My Garmin is worried... :mrgreen:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 12:24 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
My Garmin is worried... :mrgreen:

Your Garmin needs to read the spec sheet. The new iphone is not the Garmin equivalent you are looking for.

:)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 1:11 pm

Apart from needing a 3rd party case to improve waterproofness and resistance to outdoor damage, it's getting very very close, especially with the barometer/altimeter. GPS track recording will now be truly comparable. The larger screen (compared to Garmin) and lesser volume/weight are both pluses.

I normally use OSM on the Garmin and some of the mapping apps can cache the data. Just needing better contour overlay or use LPI's eMap. Interesting time.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 1:25 pm

So am I able to use the iPhone to give me a bread crumb trail of where I have been walking? Or more to the point be able to follow a bread crumb trail back out if need be? Also can I use some sort of maps offline? Ive never really considered my phone to be a replacement for the gps.
I now have a good solar set up for recharging the phone.

It would be nice to not have to take a camera, gps and phone.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby whitefang » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 1:47 pm

DanShell wrote:So am I able to use the iPhone to give me a bread crumb trail of where I have been walking? Or more to the point be able to follow a bread crumb trail back out if need be? Also can I use some sort of maps offline? Ive never really considered my phone to be a replacement for the gps.
I now have a good solar set up for recharging the phone.

It would be nice to not have to take a camera, gps and phone.

If the iPhone can't provide this for you it is possible to do it on an android powered phone (sorry to turn the topic back to android). You can either buy an app from google play called Backcountry Navigator for about $13 or use the demo version for free. The app even allows you to download maps before you go so you can view them offline. I have been playing around with it and it works quite well. It would vary with different phones and how much you use them, but with my glalaxy s4 mini switched to flight mode I was able to record my track for about 16 hours (over two days) one the one charge.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 3:03 pm

Those functionalities are all in the apps, there's no shortage of them, including one from a fellow member here.

Given the iPhone is not a 2 way satellite communicator, any bread crumb function (for relative/friends at home) will depend on mobile/Internet coverage (unless one buys InReach or similar with iPhone connector). Otherwise, I've been using/trialling a number of apps, including MotionX-GPS (best all round), OpenMaps (from OSM), MapsnTrax (developed by Son of a Beach of this forum), PDF Maps and Topo Maps. So many to choose from, some free while others for a few bucks. Even Garmin has an app (Garmin Connect) and can interface with my Garmin GPS unit with sharing of routes and waypoints. It really is very powerful and getting more so. But in summary, yes, MotionX-GPS can easily record tracks along with numerous outdoor activities apps. I have used this functionality as a backup to my Garmin's track recording. Previously the iPhone lacked a barometer so the elevation profile isn't as accurate. Now it has all the hardware sensors my Garmin has and the result will be even better. For day walks, the iPhone would have more than enough juice to do the job.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whitefang » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 3:22 pm

There may well be another apple convert when my current plan runs out...
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 4:15 pm

whitefang wrote:There may well be another apple convert when my current plan runs out...

Depending on what you desire, I am sure Samsung and other Android providers will also quickly get onto some of iPhone6's features. Personally, I find changing platforms to be a real pain, from risks of data loss and new apps cost. However, I have to say that it's been wonderful to be in the Apple eco-system where all the syncs work, pre-screened apps and virtually zero risk of malwares. So think carefully before you change platform and make sure it's worth it for you before the jump. It pains me to see people who jump from one platform to another by the year. Don't know how they managed.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 7:24 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Those functionalities are all in the apps, there's no shortage of them, including one from a fellow member here.

Given the iPhone is not a 2 way satellite communicator, any bread crumb function (for relative/friends at home) will depend on mobile/Internet coverage (unless one buys InReach or similar with iPhone connector). Otherwise, I've been using/trialling a number of apps, including MotionX-GPS (best all round), OpenMaps (from OSM), MapsnTrax (developed by Son of a Beach of this forum), PDF Maps and Topo Maps. So many to choose from, some free while others for a few bucks. Even Garmin has an app (Garmin Connect) and can interface with my Garmin GPS unit with sharing of routes and waypoints. It really is very powerful and getting more so. But in summary, yes, MotionX-GPS can easily record tracks along with numerous outdoor activities apps. I have used this functionality as a backup to my Garmin's track recording. Previously the iPhone lacked a barometer so the elevation profile isn't as accurate. Now it has all the hardware sensors my Garmin has and the result will be even better. For day walks, the iPhone would have more than enough juice to do the job.

Ok so I can import a third party map and use the in built gps to show in an app where I have walked on the map? And then store the data so I can export it at home?
Sorry for the silly question but I didn't quite understand what you were saying.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby DanShell » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 11:44 pm

Disregard my last question, I googled it and yes I can use the phone with offline maps and as a normal gps in regards to leaving a bread crumb trail.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 12:10 am

Yes, you certainly can. Just have to find the app that suits your exact need. Some apps will import some file formats while others will import other formats.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 12:33 am

GPSGuided wrote:Yes, you certainly can. Just have to find the app that suits your exact need. Some apps will import some file formats while others will import other formats.

I've never really considered my phone as a replacement for my gps, mainly due to battery life but I've just over come that with a solar charger and secondly because my garmin 60csx is pretty light and does everything I want.

But I'm interested in a phone that can take quality pics, replace my gps and obviously be a phone! Of course there are other apps and benefits from having a smart phone but it's more about a one stop gadget to save weight and messing around.
It's a pity it can't replace the epirb.

Motionx is looking very suitable.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 7:05 am

Don't jump completely yet. I suggest that you should carefully test it all out first. With GPS, logging etc on continuously, the battery consumption will go up significantly. And you still want to save some juice on the phone for calls. I think the day is coming, getting very close.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 9:54 am

GPSGuided wrote:Don't jump completely yet. I suggest that you should carefully test it all out first. With GPS, logging etc on continuously, the battery consumption will go up significantly. And you still want to save some juice on the phone for calls. I think the day is coming, getting very close.

I agree it will require some testing in regards to battery life but the ability to interact with the phones gps and benefit of the display over my gps is a big factor. I bought the Garmin 60csx for another purpose years before I started bush walking so I'm ok with it becoming redundant as it has served its purpose and may do again one day ;)

I use one of those powertaveller solar/battery set ups so I have a charge or two in that with no sun and obviously more when its sunny but realistically not a large percentage of my walks are more than 3-4 days. Admittedly it also weighs close to 300g with a cord etc so its pretty much the same as the gps with spare batteries but as I said the phone will have its benefits if i can make it work :)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 10:16 am

What I do see in the immediate term is that with the bigger screen, I'll be using the iPhone more for quick position checks and to answer navigation questions. The Garmin may get tucked into the top of pocket of the pack as a dedicated logger.

Dan, just noted that you are in Tassie. Then I would suggest that you must check out Son of a Beach's excellent 'Maps n Trax'. With a little configuration in his app thread here, I was able to access Tas govt's LISTMap data directly within the app. IIRC, it might also cache the data for off-line use. There are so many features that I am still finding out but it'll definitely be the one when I next come to Tassie. Fantastic support is also just one post away on this forum. ;)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps-n- ... 37509?mt=8
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanShell » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 10:32 am

GPSGuided wrote:What I do see in the immediate term is that with the bigger screen, I'll be using the iPhone more for quick position checks and to answer navigation questions. The Garmin may get tucked into the top of pocket of the pack as a dedicated logger.

Dan, just noted that you are in Tassie. Then I would suggest that you must check out Son of a Beach's excellent 'Maps n Trax'. With a little configuration in his app thread here, I was able to access Tas govt's LISTMap data directly within the app. IIRC, it might also cache the data for off-line use. There are so many features that I am still finding out but it'll definitely be the one when I next come to Tassie. Fantastic support is also just one post away on this forum. ;)

Thanks yes that is one Ill also take a look at, mainly because he is a fellow taswegien and forum member but it sounds like it may also have some capabilities that will suit me.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 11:57 am

GPSGuided wrote:'Maps n Trax'. With a little configuration in his app thread here, I was able to access Tas govt's LISTMap data directly within the app. IIRC, it might also cache the data for off-line use. There are so many features that I am still finding out but it'll definitely be the one when I next come to Tassie. Fantastic support is also just one post away on this forum. ;)

Thanks for the plug. :-)

Yes, you can definitely cache LISTMap data for offline use before you head out bush. That's what I usually do these days. Get exactly the maps I want in the zoom scales I want. It can be a bit fiddly, and of course can take up a lot of storage space if you're not careful about what you download. But once done, it is an excellent tool. For more information on this particular feature, see: http://nixanz.com/maps-n-trax/user-guid ... ound-maps/
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 12:03 pm

SoaB, interested in your take on this HW release.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frenchy_84 » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 12:29 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410402547.703562.jpg
frenchy_84
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby DanShell » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 12:43 pm

frenchy_84 wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410402547.703562.jpg

LOL The old debate of whats better.....iphone/samsung....mac/pc.......holden/ford...........coke/pepsi ;)

I rarely get involved in them but ill just say we will never go back to pc and due to our conversion to mac we will most likely always be an apple house hold. It works well for us and we are very happy we made the transition years ago. We are also aware that in the phone market the iPhones have fallen behind if you want to look at a quick snapshot but imho if you really look into it the iPhones are just different and some may say that they deliver whats only necessary and deliver it well ;)
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby beachcruiser » Thu 11 Sep, 2014 12:51 pm

When will they stop getting bigger? My iPhone 5 is already a struggle to fit in my pocket - especially since it's hard to find womens pants and shorts with 'proper' pockets - but another 14mm longer and 8mm wider and that's the small one...

I'm all for a bigger screen but I also want to have my phone handy in a pocket rather than have to carry a bag to carry my phone... (I guess that's where the watch comes in)

I'd never give up the functionality of my smartphone beyond being a phone but I miss carrying my old (tiny) Nokia 8250
beachcruiser
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Techno-Babble