Accurate, lightweight gps?

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Accurate, lightweight gps?

Postby FootTrack » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:54 am

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a gps for when I'm up at the snow. I'm after something that is accurate/has good reception (in whiteout conditions, thick bush, deep valleys etc), has push buttons ideally, and is lightweight. I don't need many functions - mainly just a grid reference so I can locate myself on a map. Can anyone give me a recommendation? I was looking at the Garmin 62s as Anaconda have them on sale at the moment for only $300...are there any other models that I have overlooked? Like the simplicity of the Garmin Geko 301 too but I've heard the reception can be ordinary.

Thanks for your help :)
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Accurate, lightweight gps?

Postby DanShell » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:59 am

I use a Garmin 60csx and it has never dropped out in dense bush, I'm not sure how a white out would effect it though but it has a good chipset.
DanShell
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 11:08 am

If you're after a basic unit maybe consider the Etrex 10. It's also much cheaper at around the $120 mark. It has button operation, long battery life, GPS & GLONASS for accuracy and speed etc

I have an Etrex 30 and it has only dropped out once and that was while clambering along the bottom of a deep crevice
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 11:23 am

phan_TOM wrote:If you're after a basic unit maybe consider the Etrex 10. It's also much cheaper at around the $120 mark. It has button operation, long battery life, GPS & GLONASS for accuracy and speed etc

+1! Ski fields don't have dense rainforest like overhead covering or GPS challenging terrains. A small mapping unit or even a sports based GPS watch would do perfectly well.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FootTrack » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Can anyone comment on the difference in battery life between the etrex 10 and the Garmin 62s? The Garmin website says 20 hrs for the 62s and 25 hrs for the etrex - does this sound right? And how accurate will they both be able to locate me (e.g. to how many metres radius)?

GPSGuided wrote: Ski fields don't have dense rainforest like overhead covering or GPS challenging terrains.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer here. My primary use would be the snow but I guess I would like some flexibility in being able to take my GPS into areas like this as well if I had to...Would the etrex still perform as well in such conditions?
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby phan_TOM » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:36 pm

I can't comment on the battery life comparison as I only own the etrex but I'd say those times supplied by the manufacturers are what you would get if you had the most energy efficient settings enabled. For example having the compass off, the level of recording detail set to low, the backlight off etc

I get 2 and sometimes 3 days from one set of batteries (depending on time walking obviously). I don't use the most energy efficient settings though, I like to record the highest detail track possible and I usually have the compass on and the backlight on low/half.

FootTrack wrote:And how accurate will they both be able to locate me (e.g. to how many metres radius)?

I think most modern handheld gps units will fix you within 10 or so metres, plenty enough for bushwalking or ski touring. In a fairly open sky mine sits on 3m quite happily and drops down to 10m+/- in steep terrain or heavy cover
Last edited by phan_TOM on Thu 28 Aug, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:39 pm

eTrex 10 is a very compact unit with low power consumption for its lack of colour screen etc. As such, yes, it will last longer on a same set of battery. Will it perform as well? Well, let's just say that it'll perform pretty well to give you a loc and allow you to make the proper navigational decision. A unit with a higher performing antenna will sure make the loc faster and more precise, but it's all within the margin of error and need for the great great majority of people. The technology these day is really very good. If you want a bit more, eTrex 20/30 are also worth looking at. IME, colour mapping screen can make a big difference.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkerchris77 » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 3:58 pm

I have the etrex20. Went for it over the etrex 10 cause u can add topo maps to it.
Great little unit
walkerchris77

Region: Victoria

Postby FootTrack » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it. Yea, I think I'll head down the etrex line given they are cheaper and lighter and I probably don't need all the functions the 62s offers. Good to hear the 20 works well for you Chris - whereabouts did you get it from? I can only seem to find the etrex 10 and etrex 30 here in Australia...Do you have to purchase the maps to put on it? And if so how much do they cost?
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 4:17 pm

Got mine at BCF. I think I paid about $200 on special. They also sell the addon topographical maps but if your clever u may be able to find a copy online.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-28-16-13-26.png
Screenshot_2014-08-28-16-13-42.png
walkerchris77

Postby photohiker » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 5:16 pm

I have the Etrex 20 as well, Works well.

I bought mine on sale at Macpac a year or more ago for a little over $200.

The Etrex 30 is the same unit but with an added electronic barometer and compass. I had those on my previous GPS and did not see the merit so decided that the cheaper 20 would be a better option with likely longer battery life. I get a good 3 walking days out of a pair of alkalines. Reception is good, no complaints. For maps, I use the free Openstreetmap garmin images, I find them better than the commercial offerings for bushwalking.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 6:28 pm

I bought the etrex 30 & garmin aus topo map card for $280 at Harvey Norman on special around 2 years ago iirc.

Best battery life I've gotten from it was 4 days (rafting the upper snowy river), from sun up till just about sundown running Powerex AA rechargeables.

Compared to my 14? Year old Magellan Meridian this thing is magnificent. Much smaller, much better maps, extremely accurate, 10x quicker on startup to acquire sats and about 4x better on battery life.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 6:34 pm

Once you are on the Garmin wagon, OSM mapping is at your disposal.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FootTrack » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks for your help crew. I ended up getting the etrex 10 this afternoon for $99 from Harvey Norman. Seems like a good little unit! Looking forward to testing it out tomorrow :) It nailed my position in our house down to a metre or two, so it's doing pretty good so far! Can't go wrong with the price I paid for it anyway and if it doesn't turn out to be what I wanted (which I doubt will be the case) I haven't lost too much in the process. Thanks again.
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 7:56 am

Good unit foot track. Great price too. Dont get lost.
walkerchris77

Postby MacMan » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 9:14 am

I've had a Garmin GPS 60Cx for the last few years. Excellent unit. Even though I'm exploring the world of smartphone GPS with a Samsung running a custom Android ROM and Osmand, I think the 60CSx will stay in the mix. It's waterproof, gives over 20 hours on 2 AA NiMH cells and never drops out of contact.
MacMan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby phan_TOM » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 9:19 am

I'd also recommend getting some screen protectors for it before you go and scratch the screen up like I did. You can find them cheap online and it's a simple way to keep your gps looking good. Much easier to replace a $2 plastic film than the whole screen. I recently got some protectors for mine but I have to investigate some way to buff the scratches out first, I hear brasso does the trick but haven't had a go yet.
ALWAYS be yourself.
phan_TOM

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 12:16 pm

Garmin needs to move onto Gorilla glass! I suspect Gorilla glass will drop in price now that Apple is planning to abandon them for sapphire.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkerchris77 » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 2:53 pm

phan_TOM wrote:I'd also recommend getting some screen protectors for it before you go and scratch the screen up like I did. You can find them cheap online and it's a simple way to keep your gps looking good. Much easier to replace a $2 plastic film than the whole screen. I recently got some protectors for mine but I have to investigate some way to buff the scratches out first, I hear brasso does the trick but haven't had a go yet.

+1. I brought some pack of 6 I think. Cheap and designed to fit my e20. Nothing worse than a big scratch in your route. Well I bet there are worse thing but you know what I mean.
walkerchris77

Postby FootTrack » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 4:39 pm

phan_TOM wrote:I'd also recommend getting some screen protectors for it before you go and scratch the screen up like I did. You can find them cheap online and it's a simple way to keep your gps looking good. Much easier to replace a $2 plastic film than the whole screen. I recently got some protectors for mine but I have to investigate some way to buff the scratches out first, I hear brasso does the trick but haven't had a go yet.

Thanks for the tip phan_TOM. Yes I have some spare ones of these that I've also put on my phone and the lcd screen of my camera so I'll be sure to stick one on the gps as well :) Certainly better than scratching the actual screen.

GPSGuided wrote:Garmin needs to move onto Gorilla glass! I suspect Gorilla glass will drop in price now that Apple is planning to abandon them for sapphire.

Haven't had much to do with Gorilla glass but I've heard all about it. I usually just get one of those rubber/plastic cases for my phone which does a great job of protecting it. I've dropped it countless times without any issues. Hopefully the etrex has similar drop resistance...
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 5:03 pm

FootTrack wrote:Haven't had much to do with Gorilla glass but I've heard all about it. I usually just get one of those rubber/plastic cases for my phone which does a great job of protecting it. I've dropped it countless times without any issues. Hopefully the etrex has similar drop resistance...

Unfortunately those rubber/plastic cases of any decent quality costs a bomb. Given what can be done, it'd be ideal to have stronger glass and at most use one of those transparent protective overlay.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 9:26 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
FootTrack wrote:Haven't had much to do with Gorilla glass but I've heard all about it. I usually just get one of those rubber/plastic cases for my phone which does a great job of protecting it. I've dropped it countless times without any issues. Hopefully the etrex has similar drop resistance...

Unfortunately those rubber/plastic cases of any decent quality costs a bomb. Given what can be done, it'd be ideal to have stronger glass and at most use one of those transparent protective overlay.

If you're still talking about phones, give Spigen cases a go. Mines copped a hiding and has survived well, except a couple of small cracked around the volume and sleep/wake buttons.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 9:36 pm

I can second the spigen case. Mines been through a beating, and survived several off track escapades.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby FootTrack » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:39 pm

Mmm I'll have to keep my eye out for it GPSGuided, sounds like a great material if it is what it claims to be. Would save money, bulk and weight. I just use an Otterbox myself. Works pretty well and is quite durable given I use it every day and have had it for the past two years now. Dropped it many times on concrete. Think it cost me $50 or so. I like that it keeps my phone camera lens off tables etc too. Seeing people walk around without some sort of protection on their phone makes me nervous! I've seen so so many cracked screens from drops it's ridiculous :shock: At least the gps won't get pulled out very often so it's probably less likely to get broken...
FootTrack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Zone-5 » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 3:10 am

Got my Etrex 20, slow as but has been reliable so far. I have had to use 'corn cushions' over the toggle to stop it recording bogus waypoints in my pocket!

Yeah, they work well...
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5

Region: Australia

Postby wander » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 6:40 am

If grid reference is really all you need and not the mapping functions it is difficult to get smaller and lighter than the Garmin Fenix (Suunto make a similar product but I know nothing about it). I've used mine for maybe 3 years now in Tassie and a lot in the snow and it works well now Garmin have the big bugs out of it.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby keithy » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 9:59 pm

Zone-5 wrote:Got my Etrex 20, slow as but has been reliable so far. I have had to use 'corn cushions' over the toggle to stop it recording bogus waypoints in my pocket!

Yeah, they work well...

Thanks for the great tip I'll have to try this on my Etrex30, although I recently upgraded to an Oregon 600 for hiking in Romania, Norway and Iceland, mainly due to the ease of navigating with the touch screen. The etrex 30 is great light weight gps though, and performs beautifully, with good battery life. Used it last year for a month in Nepal and the only complaints was the erroneous waypoints from the button pressing down in the case or pocket, and the inaccuracy in elevation due to the barometer, sometimes drifting up to 20m out of whack with GPS elevation.

THe Oregon 600 I've been using for about 3 months now, and is definitely an easier to use unit, but I have had random changes in screen settings due to pocket touches (after forgetting to lock the screen), even with the screen turned off, a slight bump on any side button and the unit turns on, and then in the pocket you get phantom touches that can change all your screen settings and customisations which is really annoying. The battery life is worse than the Etrex 30 though.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Return to Techno-Babble