Black Diamond Revolt

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Black Diamond Revolt

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 8:37 pm

If one has a multimeter, the issue should be resolved relatively easily. As for people getting short tempered on forums, well, what can I say? Patience is an essential characteristic to solve these issues. Patience and persistence.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby neilmny » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 9:00 pm

GPSGuided wrote:If one has a multimeter, the issue should be resolved relatively easily. As for people getting short tempered on forums, well, what can I say? Patience is an essential characteristic to solve these issues. Patience and persistence.

Go on GPS write up a procedure for resolving the problem with a multi meter....I'm sure the OP will have a sqizz.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby GPSGuided » Sat 28 Jun, 2014 9:31 pm

LOL! He can send me his BD Revolt and I'll work it out. On these, there's always a relatively simple, logical and technical explanation. Chucking the dummy doesn't help in getting to that answer. In the meantime, I have no interest in picking up a Revolt. I am revolting against it. :P

PS. People who don't have patience aren't suited to using any instrument. So there's no point in writing up an OP.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby MartyGwynne » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 1:29 am

I'm glad I did not buy one on Sunday, I don't recall what it was that put me off - it may have been the non-waterproof ness of it.
I ended up purchasing a diving head lamp for $15:00 on line with $0:90 postage.
I wanted waterproof as it will be used in the kayak if the sun goes down quicker than I had planned.
The BD revolt does look like a good idea though I still may get one if there is a good fix for the non BD battery charging issue.
Come on techies and boffins post the fix for us. :P
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Mark F » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 9:21 am

This does seem like a flawed design.To me non-standard NiMh batteries, even if there are work-arounds, are a deal breaker. While the unit can use standard alkaline batteries it cannot use lithium primarys. I can see no reason why there has to be extra contacts on the side of the battery to allow charging - just poor design of the electronics. Perhaps the contacts are being used for thermal charge control used in many NiMh chargers to stop charging when the battery is full, but this doesn't need electrical connectivity.

While it is also a proprietary design, Petzl's Core Li rechargeable battery also provides in-lamp USB recharging and power meter. Additionally it provides the ability to set the lamp to regulated vs non-regulated operation and set high and low output levels albeit when attached to a pc. Being Li it will provide better low temperature performance.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GBW » Wed 02 Jul, 2014 5:42 pm

The extra contacts could be to ensure you only try to charge rechargable batteries, but I'm not sure if a normal battery will explode if you try to charge it.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xalion » Thu 03 Jul, 2014 7:56 pm

Bad things happen, usually. As a rule, non-rechargables, especially lithiums, definitely do not like having charge dumped into them. It should be a simple work around to make it charge any NiMh, but keep in mind it'll try and charge anything you put in there, so care will be called for. Bypassing the second contact will probably do the trick, but you'd want to have a look at the charging circuit first and double check what it's doing. Multimeter time.
Xalion
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Techno-Babble