SPOT Free Tracking Code

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

SPOT Free Tracking Code

Postby mrpotter » Wed 21 May, 2014 4:02 pm

Does anyone have a free tracking code to use when activating a SPOT?

Mine just arrived from eBay - scored it for $86
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: SPOT Free Tracking Code

Postby mrpotter » Wed 21 May, 2014 4:29 pm

Ahh nevermind... these codes work

ARTRACKCON for spot connect
ARTRACKSPOT for spot
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zone-5 » Sat 22 Nov, 2014 1:32 am

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are talking about!

Is it this?

Curious... :)
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Postby mrpotter » Sat 22 Nov, 2014 9:40 am

Yep thats it. They're alright, although as other users on this forum have reported in thick folage or surrounded by cliffs (and not necessarily a canyon), they often won't get a msg out. I probably get about 75% success.
mrpotter
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby rocketrm2 » Sun 08 Feb, 2015 8:57 pm

I have read that using this device is complicated. And is unreliable? Do you agree ?
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby sthughes » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 8:46 am

They have a very flaky bluetooth interface. I pretty much cannot use mine at all with my iPhone 6, but with my partners iPhone 5S it is 90% reliable, but still needs to be disconnected, turned off and re-paired on a semi-regular basis. When I had a Sony Experia it was just as flaky, and on one occasion the phone unlocked itself in my jacket pocket and somehow triggered the SOS feature from the app! Luckily I was in mobile range and the people in the emergency response centre in the US called me before they called the chopper, averting a ridiculous accidental rescue! (After that I tossed the Sony and no longer leave the phone connected by bluetooth). My advice is get a Spot 3 - it has real physical buttons for when the app is playing silly buggers or your phone batteries are flat.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Burnsy » Thu 19 Feb, 2015 2:28 pm

Can anyone advise what this code give you access to? Do you still need to pay an annual service fee and tracking fee or will using this code on a Spot Gen3 give you these things?

Thanks
Burnsy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby Zone-5 » Thu 19 Feb, 2015 11:04 pm

Burnsy wrote:Can anyone advise what this code give you access to? Do you still need to pay an annual service fee and tracking fee or will using this code on a Spot Gen3 give you these things.

Get a free year of tracking service with the codes ARTRACKCON (SPOT Connect) or ARTRACKSPOT (SPOT Messenger).

:mrgreen:
Zone-5

Postby Burnsy » Thu 19 Feb, 2015 11:28 pm

Is the Spot Gen3 classified as a messenger?
Burnsy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Zone-5 » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:46 pm

Burnsy wrote:Is the Spot Gen3 classified as a messenger?

SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Messenger Beacon

Weight: 114g

For those who adventure beyond cellphone coverage. Provides a vital link with your family and friends, lets fans and sponsors track your progress, and allows you to summon help in an emergency. This multi-purpose communicator has twice the battery life than earlier generations, a USB power option, and motion-activated tracking with a choice of modes. Requires a pay subscription service and a clear view of the sky to work.

SOS function to notify emergency services of your GPS location and to request help. The GEOS International Emergency Response Center alerts appropriate agencies worldwide (911 responders in North America and 112 responders in Europe).

Help function for non-life-threatening emergencies, such as notifying your personal contacts that you need assistance. Additional SPOT assist services can be purchased and programmed to the help button. When activated with SPOT assist, the help button will notify professional services either on land or water. SPOT has partnered with national service providers to offer assistance.
Check-in feature allows you to let your friends and family know all is well. Send a pre-programmed message and your GPS location via email or SMS to up to 10 pre-determined contacts. Your waypoint is stored in your SPOT account for later reference. Stored waypoints can be easily integrated into a SPOT shared page or SPOT adventure account.

Custom message feature sends friends and family a custom message along with your GPS location. Use this feature as a secondary OK message or transfer your personal help alert to this message function if you're using a SPOT assist service on your help button.

Track progress (additional subscription required) allows you to send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress in near real time using Google Maps. The Gen3’s vibration sensor allows motion-activated tracking, with a choice of track updates every 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes to maximize battery life. Extreme tracking allow updates every 2½ minutes.

Dimensions are 8.7x6.5x2.5cm.
Operates from -30–60°C and at up to 6,500m of altitude.
Humidity rated to MIL-STD-810F, Method 507.3, 95% to 100% cond. (unit is not waterproof when powered via USB).
Vibration rated at per SAE J1455.
Includes batteries, strap, USB cable, carabiner and quick reference guide.
2 lanyard anchor points allow multiple attachment options.
Takes 4 AAA Energizer™ Lithium Ultimate 8X or 4 AAA Energizer™ NiMH rechargeable batteries.

:)
Zone-5

Postby Burnsy » Fri 20 Feb, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks, i thought that was the case but this tech is something I have no experience with and did not want to make an expensive mistake.
Burnsy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby entreat » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 2:16 pm

How well has it worked since you've had it?
I'm looking at getting a SPOT or a PLB for the overland track, but I'm not sure which would suit. Obviously we're not planning on having an incident or illness that requires evac, but it would be helpful to have the option of sending a message to our pick up that we might spend an extra day on the track.
entreat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Mark F » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 2:45 pm

Plbs only summon s&r. They do not allow for private communications.

Spot type messenger systems can summons s&r though a different satellite system to a plb but also allow for private messaging. If you go down this route then make sure you have a good protocol organised with everyone receiving your messages. Especially no message is not a sign of trouble.

Some people have difficulties with Spot messengers but my experience with my old Spot 2 is that I have lost one message in about 5 years and that was from Gill Creek in a steep deep valley. I do not use my spot for tracking. I am also careful to pick a good location to set it off and allow it to run its full cycle.

By choosing a spot type system you have a slightly increased risk of rescue messages not being received but have the ability to let others know where you are and if your protocol allows it organise things like getting picked up in a different location or date etc. I use one of the 3 private messages to say "Im ok but running a day late." and another to say "Pick me up at the nearest road to my current position.". If this message is sent twice from the same location then send NRMA. The third is the standard "Im ok" message.

This link may help you understand the options - http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews#bicreview
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby entreat » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 6:21 pm

Thanks Mark.
We've decided to go with a PLB as in the end we're not going to get a good use of a Spot to justify an annual subscription.
We live in Kalgoorlie, WA, where we occasionally go 4WDing, but after a long discussion figured even if we were stricken with a broken vehicle, the places we go are close enough to walk to help, or to a granite outcrop that all have phone reception on them should we need to send a message. And we (over)pack sufficient supplies so we would be fine to overnight if we really had to.

As for the Overland, I figured we tell our pick up we're taking an extra day, and we stay at Lake St Clair if we don't need the extra time.
entreat
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby flywire » Wed 01 Mar, 2017 6:38 pm

entreat wrote:We've decided to go with a PLB ...

I have a spot and made the same decision. In my opinion Spot is a toy.
flywire
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Techno-Babble