Thought on Garmin 62sc

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Thought on Garmin 62sc

Postby kalla20 » Fri 02 May, 2014 8:54 pm

Hey Guys and Gals
Just wondering if anyone is using a Garmin 62sc, I am looking at purchasing one and after some opinions.

I am looking for it to be used on bushwalking trips, dirt/mountain bike and in the 4b, so as it will be attached to the bikes I wouldn't mind knowing what people think of durability.
I am also wondering what battery life is like for those longer walks.
The reason I am interested in this model is a friend is selling one that is basically brand new with maps so I havent really looked at many other models.

Any suggestions and pros/cons would be appreciated.

Cheers
kalla20
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Thought on Garmin 62sc

Postby tastrax » Sat 03 May, 2014 1:41 pm

The best bushwalking Garmin GPS (I reckon) was the 60CSX but they are no longer made - still available secondhand but still quite expensive given their age. I do however also have a 62SC. Once you get used to the new interface its quite a good GPS that works well in all conditions including in the wet forest. The camera is pretty average but good enough for a quick reminder snap of where you have been etc. Lots of memory space for maps etc as well as being able to collect long logs onto a separate microSD card.

For use on a bike I would be careful in selecting the best mount. I have a ram mount with various option for in the car, pushbike etc and I have to say I don't like the RAM Ezi Roller mount as the little roller on the bottom comes out way too easily and I have no doubt I will lose it one day. It mainly comes out when removing the GPS rather than whilst travelling. You may be better off with the cheap Garmin mount held on with cable ties.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by ... 23-00.html

http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/gar ... fault.aspx

Battery life is fine for a couple of days using it wisely (with regular logging) and ensuring the battery saver mode is on and you are not taking many photos.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby kalla20 » Mon 05 May, 2014 12:39 pm

Thanks heaps for that tastrax
Good info there and thanks for the mount ideas, I already have a mount that will work on the motorbike, but i might go the ram mount on the mountain bike.

cheers
kalla20
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 05 May, 2014 12:58 pm

Devil's advocate: Do you really want to mount it on your MTB? The screen is not big and it's not wise to see the screen when riding. Concentrate on the road/path to be safe. As such, it's more practical to slip it in the rear jersey pocket.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kalla20 » Mon 05 May, 2014 8:59 pm

Oh its not so much a see where I am going as a ride until I'm lost and find my way out, just means I don't need to carry a bag when I go out exploring. I'd just be using it to put in an occasional way point and so I'm not so worried about remembering my track back.
But that's not such a big issue really.
AS most of its use will be walking.
kalla20
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 05 May, 2014 10:12 pm

Perfect. Stick it in your jersey pocket. Mounting a heavy unit like that on the bar/stem is more likely to see damage over time.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby redbruce » Tue 13 May, 2014 8:16 pm

kalla20 wrote:Hey Guys and Gals
Just wondering if anyone is using a Garmin 62sc, I am looking at purchasing one and after some opinions.

I am looking for it to be used on bushwalking trips, dirt/mountain bike and in the 4b, so as it will be attached to the bikes I wouldn't mind knowing what people think of durability.
I am also wondering what battery life is like for those longer walks.
The reason I am interested in this model is a friend is selling one that is basically brand new with maps so I havent really looked at many other models.

Any suggestions and pros/cons would be appreciated.

Cheers

It will be fine. I have a Dakota 20 and 76cx. Personally I prefer the dakota on the mountain bike and for walking because its smaller, but the screen resolution is better on the 76 (same guts as 60). the 78/62 models have improved software and coverage under cover (eg trees) over the earlier models but otherwise the same.

Basically either will do the job. Screen resolution is better on the 60/62 but the dakota is smaller. my mates that also do offroad driving have opted for the 60/62 because of the better screen.
redbruce
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Techno-Babble