Getting the most out of GeoPDF maps

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Getting the most out of GeoPDF maps

Postby Mark F » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 6:12 pm

As many know lpi is now selling the 1:25k topo maps of NSW in downloadable Geo.PDF format (https://shop.lpi.nsw.gov.au at $5.40 each) which are viewable in Adobe Reader. I thought a topic on getting the best use out of them would be timely. Your findings would be a great addition in making this a useful resource. I have only been playing with them for a short while but have discovered a few things.

- The display in Adobe Reader on a PC is good and individual layers can be turned on and off by opening the Layers side panel (on the left of the screen)
- There is a useful add-in for Adobe from TerraGo that shows the coordinates as you move the cursor around the screen (http://www.terragotech.com/products/field-data-collection/terrago-toolbar)

Reading the map on my Android tablet using Adobe Reader was clunky and not nearly as good as the Avenza PDF Maps app.
Avenza PDF Maps is downloadable for Android and Apple from the normal locations. For Android at least it is free. Avenza seems to make its money selling maps. I am just starting to use it. My findings so far:
- It is rather slow to import a map but once imported they load quickly. Maps only need to be imported once.
- It shows your position from the device's gps on the map.
- To see the coordinates of a point on the map you position the point under the central bulls eye. Lots of options for display format - just tap the info bar at the top.
- Locations can be pinned and annotated using the same technique.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Getting the most out of GeoPDF maps

Postby icefest » Sat 01 Mar, 2014 8:36 pm

You mentioned in another post that the maps have a base raster layer. What is contained in the base layer?
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Mark F » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 8:55 am

The base layer (called Image) seems to be the vegetation layer and everything (another 49 layers) displays on top of that. I am unsure of the exact structure of each of the layers, I assume a mix of vector points, lines and polygons. Most of them have names which makes their purpose clear(ish). There does seem to be a fault in the maps in that wetland areas (DLSArea layer) are displayed in bright red.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Gippsmick » Wed 04 Jun, 2014 5:57 pm

At $5.40 a map I had better do some overtime because I see my collection growing already. Interesting that New Zealand offer the whole 1:50k map series for free. It's easy to add gpx files and kml files to display on top of the maps using Avenza as well.
Gippsmick
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Sun 08 Jun, 2014 1:37 am

Mark F wrote:- There is a useful add-in for Adobe from TerraGo that shows the coordinates as you move the cursor around the screen (http://www.terragotech.com/products/field-data-collection/terrago-toolbar)

Note that this is a Windows application. Would have been nice if the web site said it was Windows before I gave them my name and e-mail. :-(

David
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 15 Jun, 2014 7:14 pm

Any victoria ones out there. All I could find were 1.50k.
walkerchris77
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby davidmorr » Sun 15 Jun, 2014 8:00 pm

davidmorr wrote:Note that this is a Windows application. Would have been nice if the web site said it was Windows before I gave them my name and e-mail. :-(

I had a whinge at them for not saying it was Windows only. They say they are working on a Mac version.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby michael_p » Sun 15 Jun, 2014 9:57 pm

davidmorr wrote:I had a whinge at them for not saying it was Windows only. They say they are working on a Mac version.

Have you tried running it using Wine for Mac: http://www.winehq.org/. I've good success running a number of Windows programs on Linux via Wine.

Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Techno-Babble