Going (sun)light, with need to recharge Dslr batteries

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Going (sun)light, with need to recharge Dslr batteries

Postby Tooeekel » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 2:56 pm

I have been asked a number of times about a solar kit that can cover almost every item in my key, incl cameras, so- hope this helps

Note: While I have not considered weight in this setup but rather the ability to be able to be power independent, including digital cameras- my " freedom kit" total weight is around 800gms depending on configuration

Using Goal zero Guide 10 plus (with the nomad 7 panel)

Can charge the following in my kit:

- AA & AAA Eneloop batteries for headlamps /GPS etc
    - Steripen Ultra UV steriliser (USB rechargeable model)
    - Garming 60 CSX GPS - Can run it directly off panel while hiking
    - iPhone, iPad etc
    - Can charge Digital SLR batteries ( 2 camera systems - one belonging to my partner so multiple battery types) using Universal Li-ion/Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Battery Charger unit with simply adjustable pin slider to accommodate different battery types- I am charging a Canon DSLR and a Lumix 4/3rds system cameras
    - Goal zero Luna light for in tent use- excellent LED lights great illumination in tent

Total system cost me around $130 when purchased ( my Guide 10plus is x USA) but should not be much more these days.
Hope this helps
::::
It's not the end of the world... but I can see it from here
Tooeekel
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Going (sun)light, with need to recharge Dslr batteries

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 8:23 pm

Needs bright sunlight out in the open, otherwise the solar panel is useless. The battery pack is excellent. Depending how long your away for, its often best to take the battery pack and spare AA batteries for the pack and leave the solar panel at home. The solar panel is also a bit heavy.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Watertank » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 8:36 pm

I have the same kit - the instructions in the goal zero 10 plus website says that it will only boost not charge an iPad fully.
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Tooeekel » Wed 05 Feb, 2014 10:41 pm

I am sure you are right re the iPad, I am yet to take one on a hike, so it's less of a concern at this stage. I'm glad I can do the cameras and the steripen, GPS etc, all which work well.
::::
It's not the end of the world... but I can see it from here
Tooeekel
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Techno-Babble