Geo.pdf maps and waypoint symbols eTrex 30

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Geo.pdf maps and waypoint symbols eTrex 30

Postby Mark F » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 9:16 pm

I have been trying to get some custom mapping sorted out for my eTrex 30 using the new Geo.pdf format maps from lpi. Interestingly the pdfs have a base raster layer but the other layers are vector format. This is different to the USGS use of Geo.pdf maps which are apparently purely raster. This means it may be possible to extract the individual layers. Playing around with the maps in Adobe Reader it is possible to turn the individual layers on and off. Lots more to sort out with them - any suggestions most welcome. When scanning maps Garmin recommends different dpi scans for different gps units - 130dpi for eTrax 20/30. A list of scan resolutions is here. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Bcc42e0d0-7b50-11e0-cbc1-000000000000%7D

On a different matter, I find the standard blue flag waypoint symbol a bit too big and intrusive on such a small screen. To this end I have created four smaller custom waypoint symbols - one each for peaks, low points, huts and a general point. Any suggestions for other useful symbols?

In doing this I have discovered a couple of things about the eTrex 30 (and I assume eTrex 20). Searching the web threw up a lot of contradictory information so hopefully people may find this useful.
The eTrex 30 only sees custom waypoints in 24 bit bmp files, not png files as is often stated. The maximum size of a symbol is 32 x 32 pixels but smaller sizes work perfectly well and pixels can be made transparent by shading the magenta (RGB = 255, 0, 255) in the file.
Each waypoint needs to a separate file labelled "Custom 0.bmp", "Custom 1.bmp" etc and placed in the Garmin/CustomSymbols folder on the gps.
Custom symbols on BaseCamp work as both bmp and png files but the naming is different to on the gps, 000.png, 001.png etc. Also BaseCamp loads the custom symbols on starting from the My Garmin/Custom Waypoint Symbols folder. To get new symbols placed in this folder to work, you need to close and restart BaseCamp.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Techno-Babble