ACR ResQLink+ ...tips??

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

ACR ResQLink+ ...tips??

Postby ggorgeman » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 9:31 am

Hi All,
Santa has purchased one of these for me. The intention is that it'll be with me on when fishing or walking in areas that are off the beaten track and where mobile coverage isn't reliable. Does anyone have any practical tips re setup and usage?
Cheers (&thanks Santa)
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: ACR ResQLink+ ...tips??

Postby Strider » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 9:39 am

All you need to do it register it with AMSA. You do this online or alternatively fill out the form that comes in the box. It takes around 10 mins.

As for usage, don't use it unless you're on the brink of death or are in a situation where you soon will be without rescue.

I also got mine for Christmas but it was given to me early - about six months ago, on the basis that it would be silly to have it sitting there wrapped up instead of with me if I needed it. If you're planning any trips before Christmas it might be wise to convince the gift giver to let you have it early too. Your safety is the point of owning a PLB after all!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 6:41 pm

PLB is a pretty boring "gadget". Essentially you do nothing with it... Until the time when you need a rescue. There's nothing to tinker or buttons to flick, apart from a battery check button, one that shouldn't be played with for you don't want to drain the battery unnecessarily.

So, for gadget lovers, find something else to play with over Xmas. ;)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby ggorgeman » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, very straightforward it seems.
ggorgeman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Techno-Babble