Registering PLB purchased in US

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Registering PLB purchased in US

Postby DanYong » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi every one,

I just got off the phone with AMSA and the girl at the helpline had no idea what she was talking about. First she told me PLB's from the US aren't legal to use here as 'they don't conform to Australian standards'. Then she told me its because those plbs broadcast a morse code signal over the 121.5mhz and that's illegal for use. I went on AMSA's own site and found that's the old analogue beacons and I presume they are no longer legal for sale. In other words when you buy a new one now, it runs on the 406mhz signal. Even the US web sites mention their PLBs are on the new 406mhz signal.

Then I asked her about what the AMSA site says about having the PLB programmed and if that was necessary to get it registered. She had no clue whatsoever. She's giving me out dated info.

So I'm turning to you guys / gals. Does anyone have any experience or know if / how you can register say a ACR RescueQLink+ purchased in the US with the AMSA here? Can I just register it without changing the country code?

These beacons are supposed to work anywhere in the world (except maybe in the extreme polar regions). To say that US plbs can't be used in Aus is just rediculous.

Thanks in advance.

DanYong
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Registering PLB purchased in US

Postby DanYong » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:00 pm

Update:

I did a google search and found more info from AMSA. It seems the US plbs do procast a morse signal on the 121.5mhz signal. And AMSA will not register a plb that does so. However, I'm still confused as that frequency is no longer in use. Anyone who has more knowledge in this please help! Also I'm open to the idea of registering a US plb with the US NOAA. Does anyone know if the NOAA will register someone who is not a US resident?
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:10 pm

Most current PLB's also broadcast a homing signal on 121.5mhz. I think AMSA prefers a steady signal as it it easier for local S&R to aim at.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:17 pm

If you are based in Australia and without an US base, then it's probably best to eBay off your unit there in the US and pick up a local unit here. It's true that the PLB will work all over the world, but for the convenience of registration and not offend on the transmission of unauthorised frequency, just pick up a local unit. Otherwise my understanding is that the cost is not worthwhile to have the unit reprogrammed, if possible at all for your model. YMMV.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:19 pm

icefest wrote:Most current PLB's also broadcast a homing signal on 121.5mhz. I think AMSA prefers a steady signal as it it easier for local S&R to aim at.

My understanding is that our local units don't transmit a homing 121.5MHz homing signal where as the N American units do. No?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:22 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
icefest wrote:Most current PLB's also broadcast a homing signal on 121.5mhz. I think AMSA prefers a steady signal as it it easier for local S&R to aim at.

My understanding is that our local units don't transmit a homing 121.5MHz homing signal where as the N American units do. No?
Pretty sure they do. 121.5Mhz is not illegal to use, only beacons that SOLELY transmit on this frequency are.

And the above information from AMSA sounds correct to me. You can't register a US coded PLB in Australia. This is a potentially life saving device - suck it up and purchase locally.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:38 pm

GPSGuided wrote:

They do:
http://www.amsa.gov.au/search-and-rescue/rcc/
http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/beacon-testing.html

I think the reason that the dual nature of PLB's is kept hushed is to avoid confusion regarding the older single frequency EPIRBs.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:43 pm

Pm sent DY
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks guys. Then I don't quite understand what's AMSA's complaint on N American models and their use of 121.5MHz frequency. I always thought it was an issue that related to infringement on frequency allocation. Something new everyday.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 1:57 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Thanks guys. Then I don't quite understand what's AMSA's complaint on N American models and their use of 121.5MHz frequency. I always thought it was an issue that related to infringement on frequency allocation. Something new everyday.
Anyone can use the frequency - just don't expect to be rescued as it is no longer monitored. It is only used for homing in AU once a position is already known.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanYong » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 3:18 pm

ok Guys / Gals,

I just received a call back from AMSA, from a supervisor and she seems to know what she's talking about.

So here's the deal:

If you are an Australian resident, you are required to use a PLB registered in Australia. For a PLB to be registered in Aus, it's got to have the Aus country code, else no go. Also the US PLBs set off a morse code signal in the 121.5mhz which is 'illegal' in Aus.

Now, IF you are travelling from overseas, say from US and you are using a US registered PLB, while technically your PLB is non-conforming (becos its got the morse code signal), you CAN still set it off here in Aus. And it is NOT illegal. And yes you will get rescued. So go figure.

Conclusion: get a Aus certified PLB off ebay for a bit more than US plbs if you are Aus resident. Else, get it cheaper in the US, you are free to use it here as a non-resident. Note: above only applies for PLBs for use on Land. In Aus PLBs can be used in aircraft but it's a different set of rules.

DanYong
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks for the clarification DanYong.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 3:23 pm

Any particular reason why you're looking to buy off EBay? Did you see the PM I sent you?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DanYong » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 3:24 pm

yea cos its cheaper and its Aus registered and you don't have stock.
DanYong
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Strider » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 3:32 pm

icefest wrote:Thanks for the clarification DanYong.
Of course I don't have stock - I don't sell them! What price have you found on EBay? The cheapest I can find is a massive $365 posted.

Edit..just checked the price at the link I sent you, $329.50 delivered within Australia. It would be worth contacting them to find out when stock is coming in. Their service is top notch.
Last edited by Strider on Tue 08 Oct, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 4:11 pm

Did you quote the wrong person Strider?
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 08 Oct, 2013 4:13 pm

LOL you guys!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii