Locating Your Position on a Paper Map Using GPS

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Locating Your Position on a Paper Map Using GPS

Postby AlbinoNeutrino » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 9:56 am

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while and learned a fair bit already from the good people here, but I have a noob question that I would appreciate some direction with (pun intended).

I have a Garmin 62s with the garmin topo maps for Australia and New Zealand. I have been on a number of day hikes with the GPS and have figured out most of the basics of navigating with it, but am by no means an expert. I am trying to improve my map and compass skills at the same time and would like to use them together with the GPS.

I find that when looking at the maps on the tiny GPS screen it is hard to get a feel for the landscape and am much more comfortable looking at a paper map. What I would like to do is basically keep the GPS off until I need it, get a set of co-ordinates from it and then determine my position on a paper map. The map I am using is a map of the Bogong Alpine Area in the Alpine National Park in Victoria. It is a 1:50,000, has declination indicated and is using the GDA94 datum and "Transverse Mecartor Projection", whatever that is.

My GPS has no setting for GDA94 so I chose WGS 84 for the map datum, UTM UPS for the Position Format and WGS84 for the Map Spheroid, based on guesswork and a bit of power googling.

Have I got this right? What do I need to know/do to be able to get coordinates from the GPS that will match the paper map I am using?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
The mountain is calling me and I must go.
AlbinoNeutrino
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Locating Your Position on a Paper Map Using GPS

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:12 am

Zoom out and on the screen and it's not hard to match up on the location on the map. If you want a coordinate that's easy to use on a topo, then select UTM under Position Format and GDA94 under Map Datum on your GPS. I have those options on my Garmin and can't see why your doesn't. Go through the various Setup options carefully and you should find it. Also, don't switch the GPS on and off for location check unless you are prepared to wait a bit each time for the unit to achieve a good lock. Unless you are short on battery, just left the GPS on and refer to it as needed.

One other, Garmin regularly puts out firmware updates. It's always wise to compare your installed version and the latest and update as appropriate.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby AlbinoNeutrino » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:20 am

Cheers, I had a proper look and found the GDA94. I could only find UTM UPS which I am assuming is the same as UTM.

Right after making this post I also found this online, which I am halfway through but seems quite useful for the task at hand: http://www.ascc.sinica.edu.tw/gis/gps/U ... 20Maps.pdf

Thanks for your help, I will try it out in the field and see if I can figure it out.
AlbinoNeutrino
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:24 am

Hey,
Have you read this: http://www.icsm.gov.au/gda/wgs84fact.pdf
This paragraph is relevant to you: Image
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AlbinoNeutrino » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:33 am

Cheers, I managed to find the GDA94 setting after a bit of digging,
AlbinoNeutrino
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby icefest » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:40 am

There is less than a meter difference anyway, IMHO a bit of a non-issue.
If you can see 0.04mm on a 25k map then your skills are lost in anything but subatomic physics. You could see gluons with a light miscroscope.(I know it's not possible, they are smaller than 1/2 the wavelenth of visible light)
(Just Joking)
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:14 pm

I carry a map protractor with romer scales printed on overhead transparency film (about 1 gram). It makes transferring coordinates from the gps to a map very accurate. Just position the appropriate romer scale over the grid square.

I produced my own using the Open Office Draw application but most good drawing programs will do it.

[img]Map%20compass.jpg[/img]
Attachments
Map compass.jpg
Map compass
Map compass.jpg (118 KiB) Viewed 25472 times
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 10:42 pm

Very clever Mark!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Fri 13 Sep, 2013 11:32 pm

That's pure genius.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby AlbinoNeutrino » Sat 14 Sep, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks, great idea. I don't own one, but I think some of the newer baseplate compasses designed to supplement a gps have romer scales printed on them too.
AlbinoNeutrino
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby AlbinoNeutrino » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 9:20 am

You guys probably already know this, but I realised there are a couple of easy ways to figure out your position without using lat/long or UTM when I was half way up Mount Bogong yesterday.

If you know you are on a track, but aren't sure exactly where, get the elevation from your GPS altimeter and then find the matching contour line on the map. The point where the contour line intersects the track is your position.

I also created three waypoints in a triangle surrounding the area that I was walking in. If you take a bearing to two (or three) of these way points with your gps and then plot the lines on the map the point at which they intersect is your position.
AlbinoNeutrino
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Mark F » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 9:53 am

I have found that most compasses don't have 2 sided romer scales and often don't have a romer scale that matches the map scale I am using. Many US maps use 1:24000 and a few maps I have used in Europe have been 1:30K or 1:40K. The map protractor also provides an easy way to get a bearing from the map.

Yes, altitude is a really useful navigation tool, widely used in Europe. I find my Suunto Vector watch does a great job for this without having to get out the GPS. Whenever I reach a known altitude I calibrate the watch so the altitude readings will be pretty much spot on for a few hours. Getting altitude readings from a GPS can have quite an error. the Z axis is not gps's strongest point.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 10:08 am

Mark F wrote:I have found that most compasses don't have 2 sided romer scales and often don't have a romer scale that matches the map scale I am using. Many US maps use 1:24000 and a few maps I have used in Europe have been 1:30K or 1:40K. The map protractor also provides an easy way to get a bearing from the map.

If not already present, mark out the scale needed on my compass' base plate at home. Makes for easier reference out there.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rucksack » Sat 21 Sep, 2013 9:35 am

Mark F, you are right about Romer scales on baseplates and I do like your 'Romer construction'. Silva include three Romer scales on their Type 4 baseplate, which they use with their Expedition compasses. The current Silva Type 4 baseplate includes 1:25,000, 1:40,000 & 1:50,000 Romer scales, (with the 1:40,000 scale replacing the previous 1:63,360 scale on their older Type 4 baseplate). The baseplate of Silva's Ranger CL & CLQ compasses includes two Romer scales: 1:25,000 & 1:50,000, but all other Silva models seem to be sans Romer. Recta include a 1:50,000 Romer scale on the baseplate of their 420 & 420G models, but on none of their other models and as far as I can see, neither Suunto, nor Brunton have any baseplate compasses with Romer scales.

I have used an Silva Expedition 54 compass for a long time and I think that Silva has always included Romer scales on their Type 4 baseplate. I wholeheartedly agree: having Romer scales on a compass baseplate makes for a much more precise transfer of coordinates from GPS to map and also for being able to communicate much more precise grid references. The Silva Expedition 54 compass also incorporates a sighting function, which Silva claims makes navigational calculations potentially accurate to 0.5º, so that helps too. If I am walking extensively off-track, I tend to take a Douglas protractor with me, as well, as that little bit of plastic can also help deliver navigational accuracy. All good fun!

rucksack
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby rucksack » Sat 21 Sep, 2013 9:42 am

Silva Expedition 54 compass with Romer scales.jpg
Silva Expedition 54 compass with Romer scales.jpg (164.76 KiB) Viewed 25285 times
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rucksack » Mon 30 Sep, 2013 7:58 am

My protractor weighs 24g and has a surface that can be easily written on with a pencil, often obviating the need to write on the map itself. After I finish a calculation, (if I need to make one), I can quickly erase the pencil scribblings on the protractor. Non-GPS navigation is becoming an arcane art for some, but it is still an enjoyable one for me. I have used a GPS since 1999, but I do appreciate the process of navigation and on many walks, I find that I never actually turn on my GPS, or I leave it at home, especially if I am walking in an area that I know well, even when that area is mostly off-track.

rucksack
Attachments
IMG-20130929-00046.jpg
IMG-20130929-00046.jpg (166.2 KiB) Viewed 25148 times
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Mon 30 Sep, 2013 7:03 pm

G'day rucksack,
Interesting to see that you use a Douglas protractor do you have an Australian made one from W&G I have owned and used mine on and off for over 30 years (btw mine weighs 31g with it's case) together with my Silva(switched to Suunto M3 with better romer scales) Compass,have to admit being a bit of a Luddite with GPS and I guess I don't really use them to the best of their capacity .
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby rucksack » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 8:34 am

Hi Corvus.

My protractor was made in England by Blundell Harling. It is their 130mm version and they still make these and a larger 250mm version too.

See here: http://www.blundellharling.com/products.asp

I didn't notice any Romer scales on the baseplate of the Suunto M3 compass. I attach a photo of a Suunto M3 compass that I found on their web site, but it has no Romer scales. What does yours look like? (The version that I found on their web site has 1:15,000, 1:20,000, 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 scales, but not the right-angle Romer scale.) I think that I am right in saying that Suunto also own the Recta brand and the Recta 420 & 420G compasses do have a 1:50,000 Romer scale on their baseplate, but I haven't come across Romer scales on any of the Suunto branded compasses. Does the baseplate on your M3 look like the attached photo, or is it different? (I am assuming if it has Romer scales, it is different.)

I have a few Silva compasses (5 at last count), but haven't had much luck with Suunto compasses. I have had two Suunto diving compasses and both expired after not a lot of use. (Seawater is not kind to compasses.) I have also had a Suunto GPS Global baseplate compass and, from memory, that one lasted for some 12 or 13 years. I mostly rely on my Silva Expedition 54 for walking in Australia and a Silva Voyager 8010, when I am walking in Asia. The Silva Voyager 8010 has a bright yellow baseplate stamped 'Made in USA', which means that it, (and the actual compass too), were made by Brunton when the two companies had a tie up. The The Silva Voyager 8010 is a globally balanced compass, but it does not have any Romer scales marked on its baseplate.

rucksack
Attachments
Global-ProductImages-Suunto-M-3-CM-Suunto-M-3-CM-118.png
Global-ProductImages-Suunto-M-3-CM-Suunto-M-3-CM-118.png (215.28 KiB) Viewed 25068 times
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rucksack » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 8:45 am

And here is my globally balanced Silva Voyager 8010. The baseplate of the Voyager 8010 features 1:25,000 & 1:50,000 metric scales and 1:24,000 & 1:63,360 imperial scales, but no Romer scales. Notwithstanding the Silva logo printed on the 8010's baseplate, the compass is obviously a Brunton.

rucksack
Attachments
IMG-20131001-00048.jpg
IMG-20131001-00048.jpg (148.17 KiB) Viewed 25068 times
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rucksack » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 9:20 am

And, if we are talking 'old school' navigation, we are also talking about one of these ...

rucksack
Attachments
acc_measure.jpg
acc_measure.jpg (17.17 KiB) Viewed 25053 times
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 9:43 am

rucksack wrote:And, if we are talking 'old school' navigation, we are also talking about one of these ...

Nay. I walk my fingers. 8)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby rucksack » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 10:36 am

Indeed GPSGuided. Indeed. I once walked with a chap in my old university walking club who had mislaid his one and only compass for more than a year and instead of buying another one, he used his rather ancient analogue wrist watch as his compass. He also used his fingers as his map measurer: middle finger for 1:50,000 scale maps and two fingers side-by-side for 1:25,000 scale maps, if I remember correctly. I walked with him a couple of times and he never seemed to get lost, or lose his way, so who is to say. It was certainly a cheap set up and obviously saved on batteries. Might have been more interesting, of course, if he ever found himself navigating in heavy cloud, or thick fog on a particularly overcast day.

rucksack
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 7:43 pm

G'day rucksack,
Thanks for that, had another good look at my Suunto M3 and it does not have Romer scales just the 1:25000 measurement + others :oops: also consternation in my household as to the whereabouts of my distance map measurer :lol:
Interesting that W&G are still showing as selling Douglas protractors at around less than 1/2 the price of the nice Blundell Harling ones :)
Must admit to using the Digital Compass on my watch when required and my reliance on the visability of the Sun and Stars if needed (not pin point I know but I will at least have some sort of direction ) and I like the idea of finger scales.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby 3rd weekender » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 7:15 pm

this might be a bit late but i found a heap of map tools at www.maptools .com ( john carnes) is the man from us he sent me some tools and a handy book on the subject
3rd weekender
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Techno-Babble