GPS use

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

GPS use

Postby corvus » Thu 27 Sep, 2007 9:30 pm

I am getting into the latter years of my life and not as tech savvy as others so I am sending out a plea as to how I read my basic yellow etrex to match the grid refs on a map.
Please be simple in your replies (if any) as I find the users guide a bit lacking when it comes down to basics especially when a recent readout had me on the wrong side of a river by a full grid square :?
corvus
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

GPS

Postby norts » Fri 28 Sep, 2007 8:10 am

Probably the first thing you need to do is ensure that your projection on your GPS is the same as that on your map.
Most 1:25000 maps in Tassie are AGD66 where as the new parks maps are GDA94.
The projection is usually in setup.

In the Legend on your map it will tell you which projection the map is using.

That is usually why ppl find that their GPS is telling them they aren't where they should be.

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: GPS

Postby tasadam » Fri 28 Sep, 2007 6:05 pm

norts wrote:Most 1:25000 maps in Tassie are AGD66 where as the new parks maps are GDA94.
Good advice. I believe it makes around 300 metres difference.
Corvus there are a few of us around Devonport so perhaps we need to meet, or one of the other regulars may offer. PM me if you like, though I'm almost always pushed for time of late. Will see what I can do.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

GPS Use

Postby corvus » Fri 28 Sep, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanks for that I have entered AGD 66 but I still have a problem perhaps I need to find some one to compare notes with in the field or check to see if there are courses available to teach proper use of GPS.
Or maybe I have a dud one :)
corvus
corvus

Postby tasadam » Fri 28 Sep, 2007 6:14 pm

Email sent...
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby tasadam » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 12:19 pm

I met Corvus this morning and had a look at his GPS - same as mine.
For those that may be interested, it seems the biggest help was setting the GPS up so that the main display showed the "Location" field, so it showed the grid reference all the time.
These GPS's have menus that the book doesn't always explain in laymans terms, so helping Corvus become more familiar with the menus was the main help.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Joe » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 4:26 pm

Now that you have that sorted perhaps you should work on Geotagging your images....thats my latest gps based fun :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagging
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

GPS use

Postby corvus » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:09 pm

Many thanks to tasadam for his help it was simple and effective and if I get stuck he has OK'd me to request further asistance.
This local Tassie site is perfect for my use and I wish to thank all who are responsible .
I requested assistance with new tech gear and got an immediate response from two members and a lesson as to how to use a GPS within a day .
Where else in the world would you get this free help keep up the good work.
corvus
corvus

G P S use

Postby flyfisher » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:26 pm

Corvus, glad to hear of the prompt assistance you recieved with your G P S .Well done Tasadam for your support :D

I don't own a G P S at this stage but will probably buy one in the near future. Are some types easier to use than others, or more specifically suited to walkers than others.

I will probably need some expert guidance to get me off on the right track so you may be able to help me at that time. :wink:
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Joe » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:38 pm

The Garmin Etrex Yellow is probably considered the basic entry level GPS of choice. However, imho the Geko is a better buy. Its smaller, lighter, faster to startup and aquire sats and I find its interface a touch more intuitive. I have a Geko...and have used an etrex enough to know it...anyone wanting to learn just drop a line here...A great way to learn your way around a gps is geocaching. I no longer really participate...but it is a fun way to learn to use your new toy :) Anyone wanting to learn drop a line..perhaps we could have a weekend on the NW where forum members meet up to search out a cache and drink lots of beer have a barbie?
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

G P S use

Postby flyfisher » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 9:57 pm

Thanks Taswaterfalls for the quick follow up.

Is the Geko you mentioned a 101 or a 201 and is the 201 much better for the extra cash :?:
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joe » Sat 29 Sep, 2007 11:50 pm

depends. I have the 201...the only major difference is the pc interface port. the 201 has one. I like being able to upload and download tracks, waypoints etc to my pc...and i also like being able to hook the gps up to laptop for moving map with something like oziexplorer as well...if none of this interests you save your money and just get the 101....for the extra few clams though i would get the 201 cause knowing myself i would want the features down the track...buy the midrange 201 and be happy for longer (the 301 has barometric altometer as well..a toy that i would love to play with but can live without)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby walkinTas » Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:12 pm

norts wrote:Probably the first thing you need to do is ensure that your projection on your GPS is the same as that on your map.

If you need to convert between the two then download the conversion tool from here http://adunk.ozehosting.com/terrigal/convertcoords.html
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Mon 01 Oct, 2007 6:25 pm

walkinTas wrote:
norts wrote:Probably the first thing you need to do is ensure that your projection on your GPS is the same as that on your map.

If you need to convert between the two then download the conversion tool from here http://adunk.ozehosting.com/terrigal/convertcoords.html

Should be no need..the etrex should just be able to switch between both.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby walkinTas » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 12:07 am

taswaterfalls.com wrote:Should be no need..the etrex should just be able to switch between both.

Still useful but.... For example oziExplorer co-ords = 41° 43.759’S 146° 26.146’E UTM 55G 4 53 074E 53 80 107N Australian Geodetic 1966

In the converter ==> Set the left pane to AGD66 and type 453074 Easting 5380107 Northing. Set the right pane to GDA94. Set the Zone to 55 and press convert. Now you have Latitude and Longitude for Google Earth.

Just type it into the search bar as it appears 41 43 40.134 S 146 26 13.676 E

This should be the hut at the end of Higgs Track.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 6:45 am

taswaterfalls.com wrote:Should be no need..the etrex should just be able to switch between both.
In fact, the eTrex can bring up both at the same time - on the page that gives you 5 different areas, they can all be customized from sunrise and sunset to location to altitude to average time moving to... there are a heap of choices.
The choice "Location" gives you your 55G and all that (grid references) and your "Lat/Long" gives you the degres. It's possible to display both at the same time.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Joe » Tue 02 Oct, 2007 7:39 am

and if you need to do conversions on the fly just plug in a custom waypoint into the etrex...then change the datum in setup. too nice!
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

gps use

Postby flyfisher » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 8:37 pm

With advice from Tas Waterfalls :D Ibought a Geko 201 so I could join the enthusiasm (and confusion) for G.P.S.'s Not having used one before ,I was a bit puzzled what to do with it. After some searching I found a site called "Locations in Tasmania" which is very helpfull in explaining G.P.S.use Lat/Long ,grid references ,datums etc.
I may be wrong but I have it set on position format utm/ups, and map datum aus geod '66 and from limited testing this seems to give correct grid references. :)
It will also give lat/long or convert from one to the other by changing settings in "position format".
Can anybody advise me further if this is correct or not before I try to get myself lost with it. :shock:
Cheers John
Last edited by flyfisher on Tue 06 Nov, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Joe » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 7:29 am

your settings sound fine to me!

Now you need to get walking and track some of your walks...to submit in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=231

:)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Re: GPS use

Postby Ent » Wed 14 May, 2008 3:57 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Joe » Wed 14 May, 2008 6:33 pm

Any of the windows ce based pda's is perfect running a copy of OziExplorer CE wiht moving map turned on. Works a treat. there are maps available for 25k, 100k, 250k, 500k, 1m etc...the 250's are free. The license on the list map site says that the 25k maps provided on there are free too...but if you try to collect them list gets *&%$#!. Its an issue the fellers over at gpsaus have been working on but I dont think our governent are particularly helpful. Probably one for controversy corner this...but it sucks that we pay for the maps with our taxes and then have to buy them back for rediculous prices.
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby the_camera_poser » Wed 14 May, 2008 7:49 pm

I have an E-Trex I rarely use, and am hopeless with it an a map. I might beg someone to show me how to use it when I'm down there....
the_camera_poser

Postby Joe » Wed 14 May, 2008 8:42 pm

bottle of red and ill teach ya any thing ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

Postby norts » Thu 15 May, 2008 9:50 am

I think you need to be able to use a map and a compass first. Then learn to use the GPS. It will make using the GPS easier and you still have another option when the GPS' batteries fail. I like to work out my position with the map and compass and then check with the GPS. You can navigate very well and you see alot more if you are using map to ground navigation. Admittedly there are times when the GPS is very handy. Just don't rely on it all the time

Roger
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Thu 15 May, 2008 10:37 am

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Tue 27 May, 2008 10:17 pm

The trouble with GPS units is the better they are the more expensive they are. I use a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx with OzTopo v2 maps. Absolutely brilliant unit. Even works in thick bush - very handy when walking off the tracks. And it floats as I discovered after dropping it into a stream in the Walls of Jerusalem. You can check out a good range of stuff at http://www.gpsoz.com.au

The MemoryMap software for Tasmania is also excellent. Expensive but you won't need to buy any more maps as you can print out the bits you need. The nice thing is that you can scroll seamlessly across all of Tasmania, switch between 1:100000 and 1:25000 maps, zoom in and out, and there's a 3D mode. You can find more out at http://www.memory-map.com.au

I do have a copy of OziExplorer and still use that for editing tracks etc but prefer MemoryMap for looking around, printing and reviewing where I've been.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 28 May, 2008 9:58 am

MJD,

I am interested in that unit and was wondering how the toppo maps compare with the regular maps you buy from the government? Are they the same? Or similar?

Taswaterfalls,

You mentioned maps of a lot of different scales available free ( sort of?) How do you access those?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ent » Wed 28 May, 2008 5:41 pm

Last edited by Ent on Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MJD » Wed 28 May, 2008 8:28 pm

The 3D was with MemoryMap on a PC and you can't download MemoryMap maps to the GPS. You can upload and download waypoints (called marks by MemoryMap), tracks and routes.

It's rare that I would call anything brilliant, especially in a public forum, but I do like my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. I tend to walk with it on all the time recording a tracklog so my father can see where I've been. Battery life is certainly 16-18 hours on continuously. I have only used OzTopo Maps with it. V1 were free and ok, not as good as the government Tasmaps - especially when you get off road. V2 is another matter, these are a great improvement and the contour interval is 10m. There are a lot more lakes, tarns, tracks etc marked. For example I went up Mt Pillinger last weekend and was quite surprised to find that OzTopo had the track marked. V2 does have some problems on the PC but a revision is coming out soon.

Another example is the Bombardier Track. Where's that? It's an old HEC track created by a bombardier vehicle that runs North/South under The Thumbs from the Adamsfield track up to the Gordon River where the Huntley Rivulet ends. Not on many maps but it's in OzTopo and it's still walkable. And the GPS worked in the forest (and that was before the recent fires).

When I went up Stacks Bluff I used the current route but decided to come back via the old route that used Storys Creek and have a look at Coal falls. Having marked where the car was parked when I set off I could then use the GPS navigation feature to return to the car and the map screen helped pick a reasonable spot at which to leave the creek and head through the forest.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MJD » Wed 28 May, 2008 9:43 pm

If you do get a GPS unit then get a carry case preferably with a clear front window. Much better to scratch/scuff a case rather than your expensive new toy.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Techno-Babble