ACR ResQLink vs ResQLink+

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

ACR ResQLink vs ResQLink+

Postby Strider » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 10:53 pm

Looking at getting a PLB sometime soon. Does anyone have experience with the above models? Is the + model worth the extra bulk and weight for the inbuilt buoyancy? Not necessarily a must have for me, but given its only $4 extra perhaps it's worth having anyway...
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: ACR ResQLink vs ResQLink+

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 11:02 pm

Are you kidding me Aiden??!!!!!!
I HAVE GREAT EXPERIENCE with the ACR ResQLink Plus PLB - LOL just ask me!
Accurate to within a meter ( as per the pilots of rescue helicopter)
To be honest, seriously I would save extra pennies and go with one of the inReach products ( yeah sure a bit extra for monthly/prepaid access)- but look at my situation!!!!!
Or if you can justify it - buy a 2nd hand Sat Phone. If you think it is too much - what is you life worth?
Money you spend on other things on your weekly shop etc - a sat phone is on average if you do the math only $20 a week, and say add in the minimum monthly fee for minutes etc, say $30 per week ( but prepaid will workout less).
Satphone $500-$1000
Inreach/Spot $400-500
PLB $300-400
I'd highly recommend a satphone or inReach(or similar) product.
If you are dead against that, then the above PLB is the way to go. The lightest and smallest one available ( and it works- i Know!!!)
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: none
Region: New South Wales

Postby Strider » Sat 20 Jul, 2013 11:23 pm

Matt I am not interested in messaging devices or satphones.

Is the ACR+ particularly bulky?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:22 am

Strider wrote:Matt I am not interested in messaging devices or satphones.

Is the ACR+ particularly bulky?

As far as I am aware the ACR ResQLink Plus PLB is the smallest PLB on the market - but maybe Franco or Wayno will prove me wrong?!.
It's small:
PLB2.jpg
PLB2.jpg (228.44 KiB) Viewed 44547 times
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 12:50 am

KANANGRABOYD wrote:As far as I am aware the ACR ResQLink Plus PLB is the smallest PLB on the market - but maybe Franco or Wayno will prove me wrong?!.
It's small:

No longer. The smallest personal PLB now is with Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13793&hilit=ocean+signal&start=60

Last edited by GPSGuided on Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:18 am

I think you missed my point Matt. Has anyone actually compared the ResQLink and ResQLink+ side-by-side?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:06 am

Hi Strider - I purchased the ACR ResQLink+ a the recent Sydney camping and outdoor show (good price and they threw in an additional signalling beacon http://www.ja-gps.com.au/See-Me/strobe-emergency-lamp/ and a first aid kit for me to pull apart)

Here's a side by side pic of the two models
http://www.acrartex.com/landing/resqlin ... r-beacons/

Specs of the PLUS (bouyant) version
153 g
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalo ... #tab-specs

The regular version
130g
http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalo ... #tab-specs

I chose the Plus version over the regular so I can also use it kayaking - it has a velcro strap that you can attach to you personal floation device or lifejacket on a boat. I also thought this was a better option for fishing trips (I may or may not have been known to fall over in creeks....).The antenna flips up and will sit up above the water. For offshore boating trips you are still required to use a proper EPIRB. The Plus version does not come with a carry case.
I bought a Granite Gear padded case for walking that attaches nicely onto a pack strap, with a bit of room at the top for a whistle and a signalling mirror.
http://www.campsaver.com/shoulder-strap-pocket
Remember the PLB may be of no use if it's IN your pack - it's recommended to carry it on your person.
The regular version will also float, the saleperson assured me. It does come with a carry case (I wouldn't think the case is included in the comparitive weighs but I'm not sure on this point)

Hope this helps
NB I've not needed to actually USE one. Juts a test button press before going on a trip to make sure it's working!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:48 am

Onestepmore wrote:The regular version will also float, the saleperson assured me. It does come with a carry case (I wouldn't think the case is included in the comparitive weighs but I'm not sure on this point)

I bought the regular version at the Sydney boat show last year. I was also assured that the regular will float albeit the neoprene carry case is the flotation device.
That was good enough for majority of my applications and the regular was marginally lighter and more compact. Just make sure you keep it in the case and/or attached. Also protects it from bumps etc I guess. Case weighs virtually nothing. Like Onestepmore the deal also included the strobe beacon, first aid kit etc and I think you can still buy them that way. Touch wood I haven't had to use mine either.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks guys, good useful info :)

Here's a question. What is the chance of a PLB being smashed in a fall if carried on a shoulder strap/hip belt pocket? How robust actually are they?

Onestepmore wrote:For offshore boating trips you are still required to use a proper EPIRB.

A completely pointless rule. I would happily accept the penalty if rescued from a life threatening situation through using the "wrong device".
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:57 am

This is the type of comparsion I was after.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 1:10 pm

Strider wrote:Thanks guys, good useful info :)

Here's a question. What is the chance of a PLB being smashed in a fall if carried on a shoulder strap/hip belt pocket? How robust actually are they?

Onestepmore wrote:For offshore boating trips you are still required to use a proper EPIRB.

A completely pointless rule. I would happily accept the penalty if rescued from a life threatening situation through using the "wrong device".

I think a heavy fall could damage the device.
I feel happier with ours in the padded Granite Gear pouch - at least it offers a bit more protection

And from Johhny Appleseed: http://www.ja-gps.com.au/links.aspx

" PLB and EPIRB
PLBs are personal locating beacons – they are pocket sized.
EPIRBs are emergency position indicating beacons – they must float to conform to regulations.

State and Territory Marine authorities regulations are now in force. All boats proceeding more than 2nms outside partially smooth waters, are required to carry an EPIRB that meets the Australian/New Zealand Standard 4280.1 (deals specifically with EPIRBs). EPIRBs are required to operate for a minimum of 48 hours, and float upright with antenna clear of the water, when deployed. EPIRBs are designed to operate most effectively, when activated and deployed in the water. Please note that a PLB (see separately) does not conform, and will not be accepted by regulators, as satisfying the Standard 4280.1. PLBs can of course, be carried on vessels as additional safety devices for personal use. This may be particularly helpful in man-overboard situations.

PLBs sold in Australia are required to meet AS/NZS 4280.2 and must operate for a minimum of 24 hours. They can be used on land, in the air, and on water. Although they are required to float, PLBs don’t have to confirm to EPIRB regulations. In a marine environment, a survivor would need to ensure the beacon antenna is supported clear of the water, so that it can operate effectively.

PLBs will not be accepted by the regulators as EPIRBs for the purpose of the emergency beacon regulations. The intent is that boats must be fitted with EPIRBs that meet Part 1 of the Standard 4280. Owners and crews are encouraged however, to carry PLBs in addition to the boat's EPIRB, where conditions and activities may lead to man overboard situations."
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 1:16 pm

Well aware of the differences in PLB/EPIRB regulations. But honestly, if one activated a PLB where an EPIRB I highly doubt it would matter.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 2:03 pm

Sorry Aiden didn't totally understand your question I guess!.
Don't know if you have handled PLB's yet - but they are fairly robust, and a fall with it in a say neoprene pouch, unless you fell with your full weight onto the item, I would think they would survive. They are built pretty strong.
Does that answer your question?- I hope!
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 2:49 pm

teh resqlink + works out a bit bigger and heavier than a fastfind..
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 2:59 pm

would take a reasonable impact to damage my fastfind. if you smacked it hard enough against the edge of a rock you might do damage, but then again you might not,
have to exterrt a bit of force on it to get the case to flex at all... not a totally rigid plastic so its unlikely to shatter under impact
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Lizzy » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 3:24 pm

I dropped my GME one on the floorboards at home & the antennae popped out breaking the seal! I didn't think it actually set it off but rang AMSA to be sure- it hadn't. No damage done :)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 4:43 pm

Lizzy wrote:I dropped my GME one on the floorboards at home & the antennae popped out breaking the seal! I didn't think it actually set it off but rang AMSA to be sure- it hadn't. No damage done :)

Pretty sure the antenna has to be fully extended to activate the GMEs. But there is no way of knowing without actually doing it of course!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 4:43 pm

Don't know about the ResQLink but with rescueME PLB1, the ABS plastic casing is quite thick. Apart from the non-critical flip cover that may get snapped if forced hard, I can't see how a fall on it can damage it. Obviously the significantly smaller size helps to make it even stronger structurally than its larger cousins. The only thing hurt will be the part of my body that comes into contact. Yes, this unit can only float if it stays attached to the supplied (and attached) neoprene cover.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 4:44 pm

wayno wrote:teh resqlink + works out a bit bigger and heavier than a fastfind..

About the same weight I thought - ResQlink+ (153g), Fastfind 220 (152g).

This is the ResQlink+

The is the regular ResQlink

KANANGRABOYD wrote:Sorry Aiden didn't totally understand your question I guess!.
Don't know if you have handled PLB's yet - but they are fairly robust, and a fall with it in a say neoprene pouch, unless you fell with your full weight onto the item, I would think they would survive. They are built pretty strong.
Does that answer your question?- I hope!

The only PLB I have ever handled was a MT410G at work - which are obviously built like bricks!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 6:20 pm

ResQlink+ on its way 8)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby KANANGRABOYD » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 6:36 pm

[quote="Strider"]ResQlink+ on its way 8)[/quote
Great decision - you will be more than happy!
KANANGRABOYD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 9:00 am

KANANGRABOYD wrote:
Strider wrote:ResQlink+ on its way 8)[/quote
Great decision - you will be more than happy!
I hope to never find out just how happy I am!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stry » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 11:44 am

Can anyone recommend a reliable Australian source for the ACR ?

I have been carrying a GME 410 for a few years and it's getting close to battery renewal time.

I would happily save a bit of bulk and a bit of weight by switching to the ACR. I would probably carry the ACR all the time, whereas I only carry the GME most of the time.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bernieq » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 12:37 pm

stry wrote:Can anyone recommend a reliable Australian source for the ACR ?
Not sure what you mean about 'reliable' but I purchased my ResQLink from Outsports in Moorabbin (Vic). At the time, a strobe, first aid kit and signalling mirror were included.

Onestepmore wrote:All boats proceeding more than 2nms outside partially smooth waters, ...
WOW! 2 nanometres is a very very very short distance :)) (or perhaps you mean nautical miles ??)

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stry » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 1:34 pm

bernieq wrote:Not sure what you mean about 'reliable' but I purchased my ResQLink from Outsports in Moorabbin (Vic). At the time, a strobe, first aid kit and signalling mirror were included.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so sweeping ? How about a "reliable Australian mail order source ?
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Strider » Tue 23 Jul, 2013 1:39 pm

bernieq wrote:
stry wrote:Can anyone recommend a reliable Australian source for the ACR ?
Not sure what you mean about 'reliable' but I purchased my ResQLink from Outsports in Moorabbin (Vic). At the time, a strobe, first aid kit and signalling mirror were included.

Onestepmore wrote:All boats proceeding more than 2nms outside partially smooth waters, ...
WOW! 2 nanometres is a very very very short distance :)) (or perhaps you mean nautical miles ??)

Reliable being honest and fast delivery.

NM = Nautical Miles
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mountain Rocket » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 10:59 am

I had the same toss up and ended up going with the slightly less bulky non plus version.
Not much in it really unless flotation is a priority for you - I am glad to own mine.
Mountain Rocket

Region: Tasmania

Postby Rob A » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:27 am

Out of interest, why did you select the plb with the whip wrapped round the outside of the case?
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby Strider » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:33 am

Robert H wrote:I had the same toss up and ended up going with the slightly less bulky non plus version.
Not much in it really unless flotation is a priority for you - I am glad to own mine.

Flotation isn't a priority for me, but for an extra 23g and a few mm in extra thickness I figured I would be grateful for it if I ever found myself in a situation where my PLB could sink out of my reach when it was most needed. Who knows - I might take up kayaking sometime in the next 5 years!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 11:34 am

Strider wrote:
Robert H wrote:I had the same toss up and ended up going with the slightly less bulky non plus version.

Flotation isn't a priority for me, but for an extra 23g and a few mm in extra thickness I figured I would be grateful for it if I ever found myself in a situation where my PLB could sink out of my reach when it was most needed. Who knows - I might take up kayaking sometime in the next 5 years!

Rob A wrote:Out of interest, why did you select the plb with the whip wrapped round the outside of the case?

This was not the primary reason I selected it, however, the antenna design of the ACR allows one-handed deployment, whereas the McMurdo requires you to rip the top off with your teeth if one hand is incapacitated.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Techno-Babble