Sony Xperia Tablet Z

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Postby walkinTas » Wed 01 May, 2013 4:30 am

The new Sony Xperia Tablet Z with a IP57 rating looks very promising. 10" tablets maybe a bit bulky for the bush (172x266mm - 10.47 x 6.77 inches) but only 495g. It compares reasonably well with the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Probably go on sale for around $650, so a little more expensive.

I like the IP57 rating. Screen density and resolution is less than the Nexus 10 but still good. Battery life looks good and external storage is a bonus.

Is it worth the price?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Postby findbuddha » Wed 01 May, 2013 11:13 am

Are you planning to use for navigating while walking or entertainment at camp? I would find it way too bulky for use while walking. Maybe the Xperia Z phone would be better suited. Paired with an app like AlpineQuest it would still be excellent for navigation, and it's still IP57.

That said, the vast majority of phones and tablets are far less rugged than I feel comfortable with.... I'm about to get a Garmin Fenix for 'instant access' navigation and will retire my Motorola Razr HD to a safe spot in my backpack. My tablet is a Samsung Note 10.1, and while it's great for my uni stuff it's way too flimsy to take bush.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby LandSailor » Wed 01 May, 2013 11:21 am

Apparently Samsung have a ruggedised, waterproof, dustproof version of the S4 due out soon.
LandSailor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby walkinTas » Wed 01 May, 2013 6:02 pm

findbuddha wrote:Are you planning to use for navigating while walking or entertainment at camp? I would find it way too bulky for use while walking.
For me, what is important is GPS, Google Earth and good maps. I noticed the phone - and the same IP55 rating. I have a motorola defy and I've been experimenting with Android Google Earth and using KML's but the little screen is a bit hard on the old eyes. I also have a Magellan Explorist for walking. I have lots of info in GE and like that I can download tracks from the Magellan and open them in GE, and I can upload tracks from GE to both the phone and GPS. I also like the fact that I can just take GE with me. I'm thinking of moving to a 7" or 10" tablet just so I can see the *&%$#! screen.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby findbuddha » Wed 01 May, 2013 6:49 pm

Ah yes, I have a Moto Defy. Being slow and too small it's now my backup for when it's raining. If you can get to a store to have a play with the Z phone you might be surprised how much more screen real estate there is compared to the Defy. My local Telstra store has one.

I use MOBAC to create offline maps using the OpenCycleMap data. Both it and AlpineQuest can mix and match multiple map sources, including Google's. No fancy 3d view though ;)
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkinTas » Wed 01 May, 2013 7:18 pm

And you're doing that on the Z phone?
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby findbuddha » Thu 02 May, 2013 11:48 am

No sorry... MOBAC is a PC app, AlpineQuest is the android app. My phone is the Moto Razr HD, which is reasonably similarly specced to the Z - I would've bought the Z for the IP rating but unfortunately it was released after I purchased.
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob A » Sat 04 May, 2013 12:42 pm

LandSailor wrote:Apparently Samsung have a ruggedised, waterproof, dustproof version of the S4 due out soon.

The rumor mill has it that "Sony Honami and Togari to Replace Xperia Z Surprisingly Soon"
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Spartan » Sat 04 May, 2013 6:55 pm

I sometimes pack my Acer Iconia A500 tablet with me when I go bush (it has a huge library of ebooks, and the odd movie or 10 to fall back on if/when tent-bound), but when I do it goes into a waterproof case, which is then packed inside a protective neoprene sleeve.

The Army is currently looking into ruggedised tablets for field use, so there should be a reasonable choice of available brands and models in future years.

All the best.
Quod non killus facit nos fortior
Spartan
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Sony Xperia Z Phone

Postby Rob A » Mon 27 May, 2013 11:01 am

Well the phone seems reasonably robust, and it surprised me how user friendly appls like Handy GPS are, second decimal point minutes before different to Etrex reading and easier to read and set up so ....

ZL (smaller screen) ups the ante a bit on waterproof, the Z is splash, dunk proof really.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A

Postby findbuddha » Mon 27 May, 2013 1:33 pm

Think it might be the ZR you mean, the ZL doesn't appear to have IP cert
findbuddha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Rob A » Mon 27 May, 2013 2:54 pm

Ahhhg sorry, ZR :roll:

Ps .. For what its worth, I found the 17/5 firmware update for the phone Z was reasonably impressive. Should imagine the 17/5 tablet Z update might yield similar benefits.
Rob A

Postby hiker-99 » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 12:16 am

Hi Everyone,

Check out the Rugged Technologies site http://ruggedtech.com.au

There's a great rugged tablet there - MiTAC Ulmo 7 inch Android 4.0
hiker-99
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii