lightweight shell gloves

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

lightweight shell gloves

Postby wayno » Sun 16 Dec, 2012 10:40 am

picked up a couple of pairs at the mountain designs sale...
what i liked and wanted was gloves with minimal weight in the shell, i seldom need a glove with a tough outer.
they are ripstop nylon on the back, but have rubber palms and fingers extending on the palm side.
the splash model has a thin fleece inside, its water resistant for not so severe weather.
i cant find the name of the other glove, its a puffier primaloft glove, for winter, and waterproof for winter storms...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: lightweight shell gloves

Postby flatfoot » Mon 17 Dec, 2012 9:17 am

I picked up a pair of outdoor researh shell mittens for my Nepal trip. I'm amazed by the warmth when using them with a fleece liner mitt. My liner mitts are the type where the mitt section can be folded pack to provide a fingerless glove.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: lightweight shell gloves

Postby wayno » Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:04 am

the ones i got werent like gauntletts with the long fabric over the wrist... they are really only useful for climbers or in dry conditions, you cant stop gloves getting saturate in the rain and those gauntlets and the gloves with heavy fabric just weigh that much more when they are wet. just dead weight if you end up carrying them....
outdoor research give all their gloves a temperature rating that they are designed to be used for which is helpful in choosing... not cheap though...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to Techno-Babble