Recommendations for a solar/usb AA battery charger

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Recommendations for a solar/usb AA battery charger

Postby Onestepmore » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 6:44 pm

I've got a few devices that use AA batteries.
I have an old clunky 240V wall plug in unit that will charge them at home
I'd like to get a small, neat AA (I think they nearly always charge AAA as well) charger that will utilise a USB port for charging (from the car for example) and have solar charging ability as well - preferably with a loop or clip to which I can attach a carabiner.
I realise that solar charging with these small devices is slow - it's really as a backup.

The isound 1600 mentioned in the recent thread looks great - I'm just trying to get a good price (amazon shipping is stupid!)
This will be great fo my phone, and then I can use it to charge the AA batteries

I've had a look on e-bay - many look very dodgy - and amazon - the ones I like won't ship to Aust or have shipping costs way over the price of the device

Any suggestions?
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Recommendations for a solar/usb AA battery charger

Postby madmacca » Wed 07 Nov, 2012 8:58 pm

Try a shipping service (eg. shipito.com) as a way of getting around shipping restrictions/costs (especially if you can consolidate purchases).
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 6:24 am

Shipping from the USA / Canada on a "One-time" is stoopid expensive no matter what you do.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 7:23 am

This is a set up I have :
The AA/AAA charger plus cable is 110g , the USB in USB out batt is 235 g or about 250g with cable and adaptors to phones/iPad or just USB.
It can power two devices at once so say charge your battery and have a light plugged in..
Note that my Varta AA charger can only do batteries in pairs, so 2 or 4 not 1 or 3
(charger from Bunnings $30, 12000mAh batt from E Bay, $26 delivered)
There are many similar USB in/out batteries much lighter (less power) than mine.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby cixelsyd » Thu 08 Nov, 2012 10:10 pm

I'd say go with the power monkey extreme. The reviews speak for itself.
cixelsyd
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ninjapuppet » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 12:21 am

Plenty to choose from here with free shipping to australia: http://dx.com/s/usb+AA+charger
216 usb AA chargers to choose from!

I honestly dont know how they can justify free shipping sometimes. I ordered a few items for $2 with free shipping from Hong Kong to Australia. I think it would have costed me more to send it via Australia post to the next suburb.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Strider » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 9:36 am

ninjapuppet wrote:Plenty to choose from here with free shipping to australia: http://dx.com/s/usb+AA+charger

But how many of them are solar?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby David M » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 9:44 am

I would suggest you use low self discharge (LSD) batteries like Eneloop but be careful if buying on eBay as there are a lot of fakes out there.

I noticed recently that Aldi has a line of 2300 mAh LSD batteries which are an excellent price of $7 for four. I haven't tried those but I have used their previous version of LSD batteries and they are fine. The store manager could not tell me if these were going to be a regular line or not. You can identify them by labelling that says something like "ready to use" (since they come precharged which is not possible with conventional rechargeables due to their high rate of self discharge).
David M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 10:53 am

Strider wrote:
ninjapuppet wrote:Plenty to choose from here with free shipping to australia: http://dx.com/s/usb+AA+charger

But how many of them are solar?

Efficient solar panels is still a relatively high technology, so I wouldn't trust any from deal extreme.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 8:35 pm

I am looking for a neat AA battery charger that can charge via solar and has the capacity to charge via a USB port (so that if need be I can charge it from a battery, my computer, car etc), preferably with a loop etc so I can clip it on with a carabiner to my pack.
Thanks for the options of the USB charger ones
I was just wondering if someone had some whizz bang one they found that worked well and wasn't dodgy! The choice on-line is mind boggling, but many look very dubious.
Last edited by Onestepmore on Fri 09 Nov, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 09 Nov, 2012 8:43 pm

ninjapuppet wrote:I honestly dont know how they can justify free shipping sometimes. I ordered a few items for $2 with free shipping from Hong Kong to Australia. I think it would have costed me more to send it via Australia post to the next suburb.

Same! I have recently bought a whole lot of small items for less than a few dollars each such as strings of lights to go in individual trees, lights that attach like rings to your finger so you can make swirly patterns as you wave your arms around as you groove to funky music, tea lights that flaicker and change colour to place in the garden beds, flourescent glowsticks and bracelets, small keychain lights, and some individual mozzie repellers for my 15 year old's birthday party at home. All have arrived in about 3 days from China and Hong Kong and have been free postage. How they can make a profit on a $1 item is anybody's guess!
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sat 10 Nov, 2012 6:23 am

Onestepmore wrote:I am looking for a neat AA battery charger that can charge via solar and has the capacity to charge via a USB port (so that if need be I can charge it from a battery, my computer, car etc), preferably with a loop etc so I can clip it on with a carabiner to my pack.
I was just wondering if someone had some whizz bang one they found that worked well and wasn't dodgy! The choice on-line is mind boggling, but many look very dubious.

goalzero Nomad 7 solar Kit. The pack does all the above.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Strider » Sat 10 Nov, 2012 8:03 am

Onestepmore wrote:How they can make a profit on a $1 item is anybody's guess!

Easy. Manufacture it for 10 cents ;-)
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Strider » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 4:43 pm

Doesn't charge AA's, but could be a good option for the Apple users

http://www.thegiftedman.com.au/mens-gif ... arger.html
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gusto » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 6:38 pm

Slightly off topic. But this stove can charge a USB device. it's not expensive.

http://biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

And a head torch that is USB charged

http://www.bosavi.com/

Doesn't answer the actual question. But they are both interesting developments. I'm not aware of any Sat Phones that can be charged by usb yet. But it could prove useful in some situations for a walking group to have one of these stoves to enable device charging.
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 7:26 pm

Gusto wrote:And a head torch that is USB charged

http://www.bosavi.com/

This should be out soon too, from Black Diamond.

Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Picaro » Thu 22 Nov, 2012 4:59 am

I think this might be what you are looking for...http://store.sundancesolar.com/pousbaasoch.html
Picaro
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Thu 18 Apr, 2013 11:42 pm

Onestepmore wrote:<Snip> I'd like to get a small, neat AA (I think they nearly always charge AAA as well) charger that will utilise a USB port for charging (from the car for example) and have solar charging ability as well <Snip

Any suggestions?

I posted details of my recently tested setup in this old thread I started over five years ago! viewtopic.php?f=21&t=509&p=173067&sid=b5bf33c95ce8f06fe0bad0d9d3968497#p173067
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby mountnman » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm also looking for a solar charger for AA batteries that used 1.5v batteries, as my GPS doesn't work on the 1.2v rechargables. Does such a thing exist? Or am I stuck taking 30 AA batteries on my next expedition?
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 9:11 pm

Maybe lighter to resort to a compass, or sextant.... :P

I didn't realise that rechargeable AA were 1.2 v rather than 1.5 v, but, by Jove you're right. What about 5 rechargeables instead of 4 throwutables?

A ( ok, this wasn't v helpful!)
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Strider » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 9:23 pm

mountnman wrote:I'm also looking for a solar charger for AA batteries that used 1.5v batteries, as my GPS doesn't work on the 1.2v rechargables. Does such a thing exist? Or am I stuck taking 30 AA batteries on my next expedition?

Are you using Eneloops?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Sat 20 Apr, 2013 10:00 pm

Strider, referring back to "thegiftedman" accessory, it looks almost to good to be true.....

Has anyone used one yet? Looks perfect, but I haven't found anything else so perfect yet. Mind you, trawling through 400+ items on deal extreme does lead to quite a few being missed!

And , if you look at the link, check the stuff underneath (those who looked at this also looked at the following....)!

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby mountnman » Sun 21 Apr, 2013 5:27 pm

I went into the City today to Paddy Pallin, and spoke to one of the guys there about recharging AA batteries via solar and how it can be a difficult process. I told him what I wanted to use it for, to recharge batteries for my GPS, which was (note: "was" :D ) the old garmin etrex base model, with a serial port :shock: . He mentioned that the new etrex series can be powered (not charged), buy a power monkey via mini USB. This option I hadn't even considered, but I realised it would do exactly what I wanted it to, which is power a GPS and charge a mobile phone.

So, I walked out of Paddy Pallin with a Power Monkey Adventurer, a new Garmin eTrex 30 GPS, a Fast Find 220 PLB, a headtorch, a shirt, a new mattress, a pillow, a water carrier, a beanie, and a spork (and I think I forgot something!)

And all I actually went in to do was to get a tent fly sent away for repair!
Research has shown that men usually sleep on the right side of the bed.
Even in our sleep we happen to be right....
mountnman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby pulseevents » Sun 21 Apr, 2013 9:47 pm

Phillipsart wrote:
Onestepmore wrote:I am looking for a neat AA battery charger that can charge via solar and has the capacity to charge via a USB port (so that if need be I can charge it from a battery, my computer, car etc), preferably with a loop etc so I can clip it on with a carabiner to my pack.

I second that. I recently bought a goal zero nomad 7 with a guide 10 batt pack. will charge aa and aaa batteries(4) in around 1.5hrs of good sun. Light and hangs easy over pack when walking.
Was sceptikal about how good it would be but rate it 100%.
Also the rechargeable batteries from ALDI are a good buy, easily out perform the energizer ones i have and are as good as the ones that came with it.
Mountain Design stock the goal zero and are within $10 of buying online, the only thing they need is a glasses cleaning cloth to put between the panels when folded to stop them scratching each other.
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 11:08 am

pulseevents wrote:
Phillipsart wrote:

I second that. I recently bought a goal zero nomad 7 with a guide 10 batt pack. will charge aa and aaa batteries(4) in around 1.5hrs of good sun. Light and hangs easy over pack when walking.
Was sceptikal about how good it would be but rate it 100%.
Also the rechargeable batteries from ALDI are a good buy, easily out perform the energizer ones i have and are as good as the ones that came with it.
Mountain Design stock the goal zero and are within $10 of buying online, the only thing they need is a glasses cleaning cloth to put between the panels when folded to stop them scratching each other.

Interesting you say it taken 1.5 hours in good sun to charge your Guide 10 batt pack. The best i been able to achieve is 4 hours in sunny QLD.
The batteries I use are eneloops..
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 11:20 am

4 hours charge time is the fastest i have ever been able to achieve charging 4 AA Eneloops. This was in full QLD sunlight with the angle adjusted to the sun.

On a one week hike at Fraser Island I found the Nomad 7 solar panel useless. With the tree cover I struggled to achieve any charge. Friend with me on the hike also had the same system and he also struggled to charge his batteries, the only way we where able to charge our batteries was to find a large cleared area well away from any trees.

This surprised me, as in amongst the trees at Fraser Island we had placed the Nomad 7 solar panel in between the trees where there was sunlight, the solar panel was not able to charge even though the solar panel was sitting in the sunlight in between the trees.

I came to the conclusion the charge rate indicated by the company of 2 to 3 hours to fully charge the goal zero pack was not true and that you need a wide open area with no trees near by to get the solar panel to charge.

Ive not taken the system with me on my last hike and will not be taking with me on my upcoming hikes down south next week.

My mate is getting similar results to what I have achieved with this system.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby pulseevents » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 5:32 pm

maybe my batteries were not fully discharged but they didn't have enough grunt left in them to put any charge in my HTC. Will fully drain them this weekend and see how long they take to recharge.
How many mah are the batteries you use?
Just keep putting one in front if the other.

Cmoreoz.blogspot.com
pulseevents
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 6:33 pm

pulseevents wrote:maybe my batteries were not fully discharged but they didn't have enough grunt left in them to put any charge in my HTC. Will fully drain them this weekend and see how long they take to recharge.
How many mah are the batteries you use?

I believe there 2000mah
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:50 am

mountnman wrote:I went into the City today to Paddy Pallin, and spoke to one of the guys there about recharging AA batteries via solar and how it can be a difficult process. I told him what I wanted to use it for, to recharge batteries for my GPS, which was (note: "was" :D ) the old garmin etrex base model, with a serial port :shock: . He mentioned that the new etrex series can be powered (not charged), buy a power monkey via mini USB. This option I hadn't even considered, but I realised it would do exactly what I wanted it to, which is power a GPS and charge a mobile phone.

So, I walked out of Paddy Pallin with a Power Monkey Adventurer, a new Garmin eTrex 30 GPS, a Fast Find 220 PLB, a headtorch, a shirt, a new mattress, a pillow, a water carrier, a beanie, and a spork (and I think I forgot something!)

Ha , you sound like me when I go to the $2 shop to get a roll of sticky tape.
Good salesman - he identified you had a need when even you didn't realise what it was!
Well...several needs it seems :wink:
The longer you spend in a shop, the more stuff you are likey to buy. It's one of the reasons why staples like bread milk and eggs are sually placed at the back of the supermarket, so you have to pass many other items to get there, thus increasing the liklihood of an impulse buy. Also why they regularly change the whole store and shelf layout, so you can't just automatically go and purchase 'the usual' in a quick focussed dash.

I already have a Powertraveller Solarmonkey adventurer and it can charge devices directly, which is great
I don't think what I am after actually exists - a small compact solar charger that will effectively just charge a couple of AA or AA batteries (with the preferable option of also have a USB port or 12v adapter with which to fast charge the batteries). It doesn't have to have the capacity to power other devices. I have a small 240v plug in one which is fine for the intial charge of the batteries at home.
This looks close - anyone tried this one specifially ?
http://store.sundancesolar.com/poaafosobach.html
I'll do a bit of research on the Goal Zero Nomad 7, but once again it seems to be doubling up on what I already have, and the experiences described in a couple of posts above of inadequate charging capacity don't sound promising. Outdoorgearlab reviewed it and noted the glich in trying to charge iphone4 if the sun exposure gets interrupted at all, maybe this is what is happening to yours Phillipsart, but all the time?
Last edited by Onestepmore on Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:46 am

Onestepmore wrote:
mountnman wrote:I went into the City today to Paddy Pallin, and spoke to one of the guys there about recharging AA batteries via solar and how it can be a difficult process. I told him what I wanted to use it for, to recharge batteries for my GPS, which was (note: "was" :D ) the old garmin etrex base model, with a serial port :shock: . He mentioned that the new etrex series can be powered (not charged), buy a power monkey via mini USB. This option I hadn't even considered, but I realised it would do exactly what I wanted it to, which is power a GPS and charge a mobile phone.

Ha , you sound like me when I go to the $2 shop to get a roll of sticky tape.
Good salesman - he identified you had a need when even you didn't realise what it was!
Well...several needs it seems :wink:
The longer you spend in a shop, the more stuff you are likey to buy. It's one of the reasons why staples like bread milk and eggs are sually placed at the back of the supermarket, so you have to pass many other items to get there, thus increasing the liklihood of an impulse buy. Also why they regularly change the whole store and shelf layout, so you can't just automatically go and purchase 'the usual' in a quick focussed dash.

I already have a power monkey adventurer and it can charge devices directly, which is great
I don't think what I am after actually exists - a small compact solar charger that will effectively just charge a couple of AA or AA batteries (with the preferable option of also have a USB port or 12v adapter with which to fast charge the batteries). It doesn't have to have the capacity to power other devices. I have a small 240v plug in one which is fine for the intial charge of the batteries at home.
This looks close - anyone tried this one specifially ?
http://store.sundancesolar.com/poaafosobach.html
I'll do a bit of research on the Goal Zero Nomad 7, but once again it seems to be doubling up on what I already have, and the experiences described in a couple of posts above of inadequate charging capacity don't sound promising. Outdoorgearlab reviewed it and noted the glich in trying to charge iphone4 if the sun exposure gets interrupted at all, maybe this is what is happening to yours Phillipsart, but all the time?

Onestepmore, the Goal Zero Nomad 7 adventure pack works, but not to the specs in regarding to charging that they give. It's a slower charge and the solar Panel I've found needs a larger clear area and making sure the solar panel points directly at the sun to achieve a full charge of the supplied battery pack in 4 hours. If you purchase one, I'm keen to know how long it takes to charge the pack.

Why not, purchase the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus battery pack? Including 4 AA batteries it only weighs 161grams. It's super lightweight. And will charge your phones upto 1 amp output. I can charge my iPad of mine. You can also use normal AA batteries in this pack, just make sure you don't attempt to charge them.
In particular if your in a area that has rubbish bins at the campsites, as soon you deplete a set of normal AA batteries, throw them away. Work out how many charges you will do on the hike and take the AA batteries required to do the job. In the end it works out being lighter than carrying the Nomad 7 Solar Panel.

The Guide 10 Plus pack can be purchased on it's own for $50.00
Last edited by ULWalkingPhil on Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to Techno-Babble