Recommendations for a solar/usb AA battery charger

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Re: Recommendations for a solar/usb AA battery charger

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 10:54 am

Unless your going on a very long hike of over a week, Ditch the Solar Panels. It works out cheaper and lighter just taking a Goal Zero Guide 10 pack and spare batteries, and you don't have to chase down the sun all the time.

The nomad 7 solar panel on it's own, not including charge leads is 405 grams. One single AA Eneloop battery weighs 26 grams.
I can carry 16 Eneloop batteries in place of the Nomad 7 Solar Panel.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 11:35 am

Hmm good point. I guess I'm trying to be too 'green' by wanting to use rechargeable, solar powered batteries when they and the associated devices just don't seem to be cracked up to be what they claim
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Mark F » Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:10 pm

I think you can get a solar system down to about 100 grams (without batteries) - panels, charger, cables. This represents under 4 AA Enerloop X batteries (2500mAh). I need this for walks of a month or more where access to the power grid is intermittent. I also need to be able to top things up when I do get access so a light USB charger seems appropriate.

Before deciding what you want you really need to define a few things first before you determine what is going to work for you.
1. Minimising the connection types and battery types of the items that require charging.
2. Identifying the daily power requirements to keep them charged with an allowance for bad weather.
3. Having a contingency plan to keep the vital functions going. These are usually light and GPS and water treatment.

My powered devices are:
• Petzl headlamp with Core battery - mini USB connector -period between charges very usage dependent - fallback 3 x AAA batteries. The nice thing about the Core system is that you get a visual indication of battery usage.
• Stepipen Freedom - mini USB connector - requires charging every 4-5 days (I treat about 2 litres per day) - fallback Micropur tabs
• Garmin eTrex 30 - 2 x AA - requires charging every 3 days if used continuously - fallback 2 x AA batteries or 2 x AAA with adapters
• HTC phone - mini USB connector. Used mainly for entertainment, journal etc when walking. No fallback. (spare battery 25g if felt necessary)
• SPOT 2 - 3 x AAA. Still going on original lithium batteries after 3 years (about 150 OK messages sent). Fallback 3 x AAA batteries.
• Suunto Vector watch - 1 x CR2430. Runs 1 year on a battery. No backup. Replace battery before big trip.
• Camera - this is the big problem - 7.2v Li battery. Most probably just carry a spare.

From this I have determined that I need AA/AAA batteries and a charge rate of about 400mA and am currently sorting out such a system. My backup system is 3 x AAA lithium batteries (24 g) and 2 AA to AAA adapters (6 g). With this I can run my SPOT, gps, and headlamp or put enough power into the phone to make a call or two or purify a couple of litres of water.

My system is likely to be based on a modified Powerfilm USB+AA Solar Charger (the 4 panel version) which provides 400ma output and charges 2 x AA. The panels weigh in at about 50g and the charger board about 20g. I need to repackage the charger board and add an input so that it will charge from the grid as well.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Fri 21 Mar, 2014 9:04 pm

On the way back from Cairns on the Sunlander last week, I went to go charge my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 when the Goal Zero Battery Pack started to smoke and a very strong burnt electronic smell emitted from it. This was on a train, Very scary stuff.

Yesterday I decided to purchase the PowerMonkey Extreme 12V, the latest version just released. It can also charge via 12 volts. It's a great unit. Been testing it out today, Very happy with it so far. The solar Panel only weighs about 207 grams. The battery pack is 9000mah capacity and weighs in at 242 grams. It's a lot more compact than my Goal Zero kit.

The goal zero solar panel I've found a bit disappointing. Unless you have clear bright sunlight it will not charge. It fails miserably in filtered lights. Such as at Fraser Island.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby highercountry » Sat 22 Mar, 2014 5:22 pm

ULWalkingPhil wrote:...when the Goal Zero Battery Pack started to smoke and a very strong burnt electronic smell emitted from it. This was on a train, Very scary stuff.

There has been a Product Recall on certain Goal Zero battery packs.
Some have been overheating.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1055190

On bike tours I carry a Powertraveller Minigorilla battery. Same manufacturer as the Powermonkey Extreme.

https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/portable-chargers/professional/minigorilla/

From the Minigorilla I can recharge AA and AAA Eneloops (with a USB connection http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5387.htm) for the bike taillight and camp head torch (Silva), keep a Garmin 800 GPS running and charge my phone. I top up the Minigorilla from the bike wheel hub dynamo, therefore I don't need a solar panel.
The Minigorilla is a 9000mA battery, not cheap compared to other Lithium batteries but well made and durable.
I have used this system on five tours now of up to three weeks at a time and have been completely self-sufficient for devise power.
The battery alone will keep everything running for around 3-4 days before it needs charging (from the dynamo). Mostly though I keep the battery constantly charging on the road. For walking, a solar panel could substitute for the bike dynamo.
It is an excellent system that gives me heaps of satisfaction (in a gadget geeky way) to be free from mains power and creating my own electricity.
highercountry
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Aushiker » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 12:36 pm

highercountry wrote:I top up the Minigorilla from the bike wheel hub dynamo, therefore I don't need a solar panel.

I am curious as to who you are charging the Minigorilla off the dynamo given it is a 12v charging system. Are you using an e-Werk with custom made connectors or some other setup? I was considering the Minigorilla but its lack of ability to be charged via USB has me thinking the Powermonkey Extreme might be a better option.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Western Australia

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Sun 29 Jun, 2014 6:23 pm

The Goal Zero battery packs where indeed recalled for overheating and potential fire risk. Hence the updated Goal Zero Plus battery pack was released to rectify this dangerous hazard.

I own the updated Goal Zero Plus battery pack and it overheated and almost started a fire on board the train from Cairns.

The problem has not been rectified. I will never touch that brand again.

Goal Zero products are inferior in my opinion and this latest product recall is more proof how inferior they are, they also dont work that great, ive found the solar panels dont perform all that great.

Go for Power Monkey. There great and they perform as advertised.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Aushiker » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 11:56 am

Seriously looking at a Voltaic V39 battery and maybe adding panels to that. There Fuse also looks interesting but the small battery is not going to meet my needs.

Anyone have experience with Voltaic gear?

@ULWalkingPhil thanks for feedback on Goal Zero. Now scratched off my list of options

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 12:47 pm

Just to add to my earlier post on the Voltaic solar system, I found a blog post at Perry's Blog on his experiences with the Voltaic Fuse on a 54 day walk of the Bibbulmun Track. Very informative and quite detailed both on the Fuse but also on the issues of bushwalking and powering by solar. Perry also has a follow up on adding a 6w panel to his kit.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 30 Jun, 2014 9:43 pm

I've heard great things about the voltaic fuse gear. I know someone that uses them on all his bike tours.

I like how everything is enclosed together in the one package.

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/a-sol ... -and-more/

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Wollemi » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 1:14 pm

I like that link, thanks ULWPhil. So I may not purchase the Aldi Solar Panel on sale tomorrow? $79.99 = 8W solar panel + 5000mAH power bank.
Anyone got thoughts on this Aldi device?
Live everyday as if it were your last... one day you will be right.
Wollemi
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Aushiker » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 2:57 pm

Wollemi wrote:I like that link, thanks ULWPhil. So I may not purchase the Aldi Solar Panel on sale tomorrow? $79.99 = 8W solar panel + 5000mAH power bank.
Anyone got thoughts on this Aldi device?

You might find this article at Crazy Guy On A Bike informative ... quite detailed but three years old now.

Andrew
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 01 Jul, 2014 5:43 pm

Found a new USB based AA charger on eBay (Actto - Korean brand). Claiming 450mAh charging output with charge/completion LED indicator. Technically much more favourable than that silvery, similar sized and widely available DX/Aliexpress unit. For $12, I'm going to check it out.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-USB ... 1425163288
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 5:51 pm

Follow up on my eBay purchase noted above (Actto USBC-01 Stick USB Rechargeable Battery Charger).

Received it today in the mail from Korea in a standard clear plastic sealed package. Good quality plastic and finish, a clear step up from those common silvery plastic chargers widely found on the net. Threw in two largely depleted 2500mAh AA NiMH batteries and the indicator turned green in a bit over 2.5hrs. Will connect this up with my 7W solar panel when it arrives to see how they work together. Not bad for 35g.

Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 6:21 pm

How effective are solar panels in cloudy or low light conditions?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 6:36 pm

Varies by efficiency of the solar panel in question but expect a major power drop with cloud cover. After all, the technology depends on the light energy (photon) received from the sun and it can not create energy out of thin air.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 7:11 pm

What I'm really asking is if I have 3-4 days of cloudy conditions, is a solar panel any advantage or should I just carry spares?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 7:37 pm

Cloudiness will vary so much and it's hard to be categorical. You can only try with your equipment and gain a feel. But I wouldn't depend on it if there are critical needs. Otherwise, trial and error applies. Take more spares on the first trip and then progressively adjust to your experience and expected condition. For a start, try to recharge your AA battery at home under full sun and on a cloudy day. You may easily find a doubling of the recharge time. YMMV and don't depend on other's opinion with a completely different set of HW and circumstances.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 8:10 pm

I've fully charged a couple of phones from a 28 watt solar panel whilst an enforced rest day in the Western Arthurs. It was raining all day.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bubbalouie » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 9:25 pm

GBW wrote:What I'm really asking is if I have 3-4 days of cloudy conditions, is a solar panel any advantage or should I just carry spares?

I don't use a solar panel but I did the maths once, off hand I think the lightest panel for charging AA batteries that reviewed well (4 years ago) weighed a little over 200g.

For the sake of simplicity let's say your panel+charger weighs 200g too. An eneloop battery weighs 25-30g depending on the type (going on memory again the xxx is 30g), let's say 30g for arguments sake. You basically need to be out long enough to need 7 batteries before you come out ahead.

That's a weird use case though, if you've got 3 in use at any one time (2 in GPS one in torch/headlamp) and you will charge at least 2 at a time you effectively need to carry a minimum of 4-5 (4 if you forget the torch) to use the solar charger without rest stops. At this point to really come out in front you need to be out long enough to need 11-12 AA batteries (7 for panel weight + the 4-5 you'd have anyway).

For long trips they definitely make good sense, for shorter trips (for some one like me anyway) the weight penalty doesn't make sense.

Incidentally NiMh is a very heavy chemistry (2x the weight of LiPo in an AA/14500 cell for about 10% less energy). You need to be out even longer for a charger to make sense for camera or phone batteries (assuming the batteries are replaceable that is).
Last edited by Bubbalouie on Tue 15 Jul, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bubbalouie
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby icefest » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 9:35 pm

You also need to balance the cost of the panel and charger, and the risk of breakage during a trip.

I don't think I'll go walking with a solar panel again. I'll aim to transfer my headlight to 18650s and just charge them at home.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 9:51 pm

I think the value of solar panel for some of us is its backup value. If for whatever reason one's rechargeable batteries got sucked low and dry, there's a way to replenish. And in an ideal scenario where UL being a prime criteria, weight calculation obviously trumps. Cost wise, solar panels are now very much a commodity and can be sourced economically from some of the online sellers.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby davworl » Fri 12 Sep, 2014 6:46 am

Hi, Jaycar have a nice little unit that has two USB outlets and is quite robust and chargers reasonably quickly on a sunny day. I charge it from mains power at home before I head off which is good for my first phone recharge. It has a handle which you can attach a carabina to but I've found that velcro tape is a better option.. it keeps the solar panel pointed in the right direction better and doesn't rattle like a carabina.
davworl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby tas-man » Fri 12 Sep, 2014 5:19 pm

davworl wrote:Hi, Jaycar have a nice little unit that has two USB outlets and is quite robust and chargers reasonably quickly on a sunny day. I charge it from mains power at home before I head off which is good for my first phone recharge. It has a handle which you can attach a carabina to but I've found that velcro tape is a better option.. it keeps the solar panel pointed in the right direction better and doesn't rattle like a carabina.

Is this the one you have ?

Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (108.43 KiB) Viewed 23627 times

Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (82.86 KiB) Viewed 23627 times
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Previous