Garmin backpack tether for new Etrex's

For all high tech electronic equipment including GPS, PLB, chargers, phones, computers, software. Discussion of simple electrical devices such as torches, belongs in the main 'Equipment' forum.

Garmin backpack tether for new Etrex's

Postby photohiker » Sun 28 Oct, 2012 8:48 pm

Looking for a suitable mount for a new Etrex, came across these:

It's a velcro attachment around a shoulder strap (or anywhere that takes your fancy) and a secure clip that engages with the back of the Etrex. On the back of the clip is more velcro, so you just plonk the etrex where you attached the shoulder strap fixture and it sticks. There is an adjustable cord tethering the two together so if it does come free or you drop it it stays with you.

I think these may fit other Garmin models, but the size and weight of the larger GPS's might be a problem for this system.

Previously, I have used the Caribiner mount on my Vista HCx and MYOG a velcro retainer on my shoulder straps to stop it flopping about. Someone at Garmin must be on my wavelength...

Yes, I have a new Etrex. A mate was looking for an Etrex 20 and found them at MacPac member price under $200 so I landed up buying one too. My Vista still works fine, but the rubber surround is peeling off and as a result I no longer trust it to be waterproof. I bought the Vista in March 2008 from the US for $270 so can't really complain. The new Etrex 20 compared to the higher spec Etrex 30 misses out on electronic compass and Barometer and some new wireless stuff I'm not that fussed over and probably chews battery anyway. I've been considering the upgrade for a while but hanging back due to some reported firmware bugs. They seem to be resolved with fw 2.80 and the unit is nice and snappy compared to the HCx.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Garmin backpack tether for new Etrex's

Postby Zone-5 » Sun 05 Jan, 2014 2:31 am

Seems there is a two strap variant as well.

:idea:
... moved to another forum @ 10/10/2015
Zone-5
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Australia

Return to Techno-Babble