Excalibur Dehydrator

Food topics, including recipes.

Excalibur Dehydrator

Postby zac150 » Mon 05 Mar, 2012 7:42 am

I have just upgraded dehydrators after 12+ years using a Fowlers Vacola (pm me if you anyone wants this). Whilst the Fowlers has been a solid workhorse over the years the Excalibur is at a whole new level, as you can tell I am very impressed.

Most notable is the change in trays, the excalibur uses a silicon mesh that is very flexible making the removal of food very easy.

The timer options means ensuring the food is not over dried easy and the heat control is fantastic and has nice graphics to ensure you get the temps correct.

I am in the process of hydrating for an upcoming trip so will add some photos of machine and food for those interested.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Excalibur Dehydrator

Postby sim1oz » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:21 pm

We just got a 9-tray Excalibur as well. Love it!!! I'm busy dehydrating meals for our upcoming trip to Tasmania. Look forward to seeing your photos.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby monika » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 9:58 pm

Zac, are you keeping or selling your old dehydrator? I'm looking at purchasing one for the occasional extended walk and if it's worked well for you, I'd be interested in buying it! cheers
monika
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby zac150 » Wed 07 Mar, 2012 7:27 am

monika, pm me if you are interested, i am happy for it to go to a good home as I wont be using it. It still has a little life felt in it.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby srforum112 » Thu 08 Mar, 2012 7:10 pm

Its great to read the excellent reviews on the excalibur dehydrator. I am keen to upgrade to this dehydrator as my fowler dehydrator is struggling with my dehydrating load and schedule! It has been a very good machine.

Zac, could you tell me which model you purchased and where you brought it from.

Thanks Sonja
srforum112
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby zac150 » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:04 pm

So, I have now completed my first full trip's food in the excalibur dehydrator and I must say I am really impressed. The main selling points so far are for me have been:

1) The quality of the food
2) I have been able to dehydrate food that I have failed in the past
3) Peeling sticky items off the tray is very easy with the silicon trays
4) The size of the machine has allowed me to dehydrate food for 6 people for a three day hike over a weekend.

So my menu for the trip is:

Breakfast - home made breaky bars, I hate cooking in the morning and prefer to get a quick start so breakfast is coffee and a bar.

Bar is made from puffed rice, corn flakes, bran and mixed fruit; I mainly use apricot delights and coconut to give them a tropical flavour. Each bar weighs in at 200g

Snacks on the trial include dried fruit:

rollups made from dried yogurt stuck to dried mango

We also have some rice crackers.

Lunches are wraps, we have soup for when we get to the hut and dinners are Spag Bol & a Shepherds pie (without base)

For six people for 3 days we have the food to around 1500g each.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JohnDaly TakeAWalk » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 2:31 pm

We are pretty impressed with the Excalibur dehydrator as well.
If you are looking for some really tasty, well tested menus for dehydrating, have a look on our website - http://www.takeawalk.com.au/TakeAWalkTucker.htm
We can generally get our food down to 1kg per day for multi day walks.
JohnDaly TakeAWalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby zac150 » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 6:22 pm

John, some nice recipes there, I like the look of the satay chicken.

On shorter easier trips where weight is not at a premium I like to dehydrate the ingredients separately as I find I get better results in the actual meal. Longer trips I tend to focus on whole meals. Although at 1.5kg of food we have some things which are over the top like smoked trout to go with our cheese entree.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sim1oz » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 12:08 am

We had a fabulous time on the Overland Track and our dehydrated food worked out brilliantly. I am embarrassed to say I don't think we lost any weight. I aimed for very simple one pot meals, or at most two-step cooking. Some of the things I dehydrated included minestrone soup; lentil tomato & coconut cream soup; raspberries and blueberries to jazz up our porridge; strawberry apple compote (or baby food as someone liked to call it); zucchini chips; several dips including pumpkin, tahini, hummus, and tomato salsa; and cooked rice for a tropical fruit rice pudding for dessert. Everything re-hydrated well and we even had too much sticky date pudding so we shared it with 4 other people.

Our Excalibur worked overtime leading up to the trip and delivered perfect results. My experimenting will continue!

Tasmania 409 cropped.jpg
Re-hydrated minestrone soup
Tasmania 409 cropped.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 26247 times

Tasmania 453 cropped.jpg
Sticky date dumplings
Tasmania 453 cropped.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 26247 times

PS. I should have mentioned that with dehydrated food, we only carried 500g each of food per day. :)
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby srforum112 » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 6:44 am

I am upgrading my dehydrator to a Excalibur from a Fowlers Vacola (6 trays and 5 solid inserts). If anyone is interested in buying my Fowlers Vacola please send me a PM.
srforum112
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby JohnDaly TakeAWalk » Sun 01 Apr, 2012 11:51 am

Hi Zac,
You are right - sometimes the meals just don't rehydrate as tasty as they were when they were fresh, so we usually wrap up some additional chili flakes, some dried ginger, garlic or curry to give them a bit of a lift. We just vac the extra stuff into the packet with the meal.
JohnDaly TakeAWalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby zac150 » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:00 pm

Well back from my walk and all went well.

By far the best meal was the dehydrated yogurt stuck to fruit leather, very tasty and gave a great energy boost.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Wolfix » Sat 06 Oct, 2012 6:54 pm

JohnDaly TakeAWalk wrote:We are pretty impressed with the Excalibur dehydrator as well.

Hi John,

Firstly, thanks to you and Lyn for your excellent guide books.

I'm researching dehydrators at the moment and really my only concern with the Excalibur is the shallow trays. Do you find these a problem when dehydrating meals? It seems to me that it's designed more for drying whole foods than cooked meals and perhaps the Ezidri, Fowlers etc provide better tray shapes for this purpose. How have you found it, seeing as this is your main use?

I am keen about not having to move trays around or flip the meals mid-dry as you need to in the stackable dehydrators. Your input would be really appreciated as I don't know many who own them.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby srforum112 » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 2:26 pm

I brought an Excalibur plus a number of tray liners to dry meals.
Recently I dehydrated tomato sauce and didn't have a problem. I've also dehydrated a number of cooked meals and hummus. I don't find the trays too shallow. If I need more height I reduce the number of trays in the dehydrator and space them evenly in the box.

I had a fowler before the Excalibur. The Fowler was a good dehydrator, the Excalibur is so much better.
srforum112
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Wolfix » Fri 12 Oct, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I found one for a very good price on Gumtree and am awaiting its arrival now! I really hope the seller isn't dodgy...

It's the 9 tray model with timer and I paid only $282 including postage. Pretty sweet deal! I can't wait to use it.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Fri 26 Oct, 2012 8:48 pm

Let us know how you go.
I recently bought a hardly used Fowlers on E-bay for $69 with just the 4 base trays. I feel I need to purchase additional trays (they take up to 12) to make it more economical power and time-wise. So far my efforts just with fruit and roll-ups have been great - except I need to work on the thickness of the rollups more, as some bits were brittle, some too sticky. The ring shape is hard to deal with as regards fruit leathers, and I can see the definite advantages of the rectangular drying sheet of an Excalibur.
Yet to try some brined roo meat, and precooked meals. I need a full weekend to experiment!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JohnDaly TakeAWalk » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Wolfix,
Sorry for the delay in responding - we've just returned from leading a hiking trip to Spain & France.
Pleased you picked up a dehydrator. Would be interested in how you find it.
We have a link to their website on our Take A Walk Tucker page so we are keen to get some more customer feedback.
Cheers
John
JohnDaly TakeAWalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby claudicles » Sun 09 Dec, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm just looking at Dehydrators and I'll spend the money if there is a good reason but I'm really keen to find out what th major advantages of the excalibur over the cheaper ones is. Do they do as well on fruit and vegies? How do they cope with meals? Is it mainly a capacity or time advantage?

Thanks
claudicles
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Wolfix » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 2:55 pm

I believe the advantage is distribution of heat, as every tray has equal access to the element and fan. I picked one up from Gumtree. It worked out to be cheaper than the EziDri would have been to buy new. So far have yet to use it.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pongo » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 5:39 pm

In contrast my el cheapo Luvello has the element at the top and although reasonably even, the top two trays dehydrate quicker then the bottom ones.

What this means in practice is that i rotate the trays through once or twice when I'm dehydrating to ensure even treatment.

It sounds like (not that I've used the brands mentioned here) with a timer and even heat distribution you can set it and walk away. Less TLC required.

FWIW, cheap or top shelf, get one, they are awesome! I've discovered a whole new world of bush tucker.
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers

Postby claudicles » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks. I think I might get one of the sunbeam ones. I read through the instruction book in a shop today and it said to rotate the trays anyway. I'm not likely to do any dehydrating when I am away from the house anyway. Looking at the number of plums I have growing atm, not to mention the crazy herb crops I seem to get some years it sounds like I'll gt great use from one.
claudicles
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Wolfix » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 8:07 pm

I always think investing in the best tools is worthwhile. Read up on user reviews because Sumbeam stuff is usually crappily made and you'll end up spending more in the long run.
Wolfix
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pongo » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 8:37 am

Pongo wrote:In contrast my el cheapo Luvello has the element at the top and although reasonably even, the top two trays dehydrate quicker then the bottom ones.

What this means in practice is that i rotate the trays through once or twice when I'm dehydrating to ensure even treatment.

It sounds like (not that I've used the brands mentioned here) with a timer and even heat distribution you can set it and walk away. Less TLC required.

FWIW, cheap or top shelf, get one, they are awesome! I've discovered a whole new world of bush tucker.

The fan in My Luvello is now dead... It's now time to buy a REAL dehydrator... This is gonna cost.
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers

Postby simonm » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 9:01 am

Any recommendations for best places to buy an excalibur? Do people prefer the 5 or 9 tray model?
simonm
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Tier Gear Tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby JohnDaly TakeAWalk » Sun 30 Jun, 2013 9:42 am

The best thing to do is contact Excalibur on 07 4094 2090, or email lorraine@excaliburaust.com
They will tell you where to get one. There's a promotional code in the Excalibur Advert in the latest reprint of our South East Queensland book (due out soon) that gives you a Free Recipe Book valued at $26.00.
Cheers
John
JohnDaly TakeAWalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Jason L » Thu 04 Jul, 2013 9:29 am

This is my first post and I was wondering has anyone bought one of the dehydrators that are being sold on eBay that look like the Excalibur. I can buy an 8 draw with 2 shelf sheets for $120 new. And could you use baking paper to stop food falling through the holes when dehydrating.
Cheers
Jason
Jason L
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Bush Tucker